General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifters, 10 Speed with 9 Speed Drive? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-03 6:49 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Shifters, 10 Speed with 9 Speed Drive?

I'm trying to come up with a plan in my head to do some bike work/conversion...

I need to buy some STI brakes/shifters.  Can 10 speed shifters work with a 9 speed drive train?

Asking because I found a good deal on 10 speed, but 9 speed are really pricey for my project...

2009-03-03 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1995200

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Shifters, 10 Speed with 9 Speed Drive?

Nope, shift spacing is wrong.  You'd probably be able to get some of the gearing to work, but you'd have a bit of jumping around in some of them (it would be "fishing" for the correct gear spacing).

But a 10 speed cassette will fit on a hub that has 9.  It would be an easy change since the shifters are the big ticket item.  You can get a set of 10 speed 105 derailleurs for pretty cheap.  Same with the chain.

2009-03-03 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1995204

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Shifters, 10 Speed with 9 Speed Drive?
Daremo - 2009-03-03 4:52 PM

Nope, shift spacing is wrong.  You'd probably be able to get some of the gearing to work, but you'd have a bit of jumping around in some of them (it would be "fishing" for the correct gear spacing).

But a 10 speed cassette will fit on a hub that has 9.  It would be an easy change since the shifters are the big ticket item.  You can get a set of 10 speed 105 derailleurs for pretty cheap.  Same with the chain.

I was pretty sure, but thought I would ask the more knowledgeable...

I was already doing the math and realized that getting a new rear derailer, cassette and chain with the savings on the shifters...  I would break even and have a whole new drive train, instead of just shifters.

This is just another reason I hold on to my old stuff usually.  I gave the original shifters away to a friend before I had ANY clue how much they are worth.

I think he owes me a dinner or two...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifters, 10 Speed with 9 Speed Drive? Rss Feed