General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-friendly Apparel at Lands End? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-05 7:16 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: Tri-friendly Apparel at Lands End?

I know it's not known as an athletic brand, but I don't think any one would argue that their stuff is of very good quality. I get my swimsuits there because they are flattering and appropriately modest for a day of pool play with my kid (i.e. body parts are covered and nothing falling out!)

This morning I stumbled across their Aqua Terra line.  They offer regular and plus sizes in all of them! and I bet these pieces could work for a tri. 

From my waist up I can wear a Zoot Sports XXL tri tank, but my hips cause me issue - everything rides up over them and bunches at my waist  Men's cuts fit too, but they don't work over my hips either.  I have no problem finding shorts... it's just the tops that are a challenge.

I'm ordering the Aqua Terra High Neck Swim Top TODAY.  My hope is that the support is as good as it is in my other swim pieces for them.  If so, I will be thrilled!  

Hope this helps someone.

Donna

2009-03-07 5:18 AM
in reply to: #1998623

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: Tri-friendly Apparel at Lands End?
Thanks for posting this!  Keep us updated when you get it!
2009-03-08 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Definitely keep us posted. I love Lands End swimwear. Guess I need to check out the new catalog.
2009-03-09 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

Will do!  Should arrive this week!

Also, scored some water/hiking sandals, like Keen, for $11!!! For whatever that's worth to you.

2009-03-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2003344

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

AquaTerra TankOkay,  I received the Land's End Aqua Terra Tank yesterday.  First, I ordered an 18W, when I probably should have ordered a 16W. I wear in XL top in Misses, but was afraid to order the Misses size and have it be too small about my hips.

First, the bra.  I have C/D cups -- this was a full-cut, full all-around, lightly padded shelf bra.  Full d's and even dd's would be thrilled!  The 3" band of elastic kept the bra in place and it was comfortable on. I could tell that if I had enough to fill it, it would have provided good (not awesome) support.  If I adjusted the girls they would stay in place, but eventually would be pointing south -- but I really think it was because the bra was too big for me.  I might try a 16W. 

The material was very nice.  High quality, very smooth lycra and sewn together so it was "seamless", like good quality bike shorts.  Very, very comfortable to wear.

The shape is very flattering on... it's not square, nor is it too snug -- it's cut for a curvy figure, so it made my hips happy!

For me, after losing almost 140 pounds I have a lot of lose skin on my stomach area, so anything snug tends to be not-so-flattering (i.e.  cottage cheese).   This was not snug.  The fit was just right, even a little lose through the midriff area... again, I probably needed the 16.  I'm just so used to tech apparel not fitting right, that I tend to buy too big!

Overall, I think this garment is "Athena-friendly."   If you're a real runner though, be sure to checkout the size charts and make sure you get the right fit for your chest.

Edited by DonnaInHouston 2009-03-11 7:51 AM
2009-03-11 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Donna, thanks for the "review".  I actually pulled out my Lands End catalog yesterday.  Haven't been online to check the sales lately, sounds like I need to!

2009-03-19 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2010328

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

Back again with a follow-up!

Yay!  I skipped getting the 16W and ordered the 18 Misses -- I am so pleased,  The support is great, and I don't feel like I need a sports bra with it.  Again, though, I'm a wogger, not a runner, so YMMV.  Bottom line is it is definitely more supportive than most tri tops I've tried on.

The fit is fabulous and the quality is awesome.  I swam in it and it feels very comfortable!  I'm soooo happy with this purchase.

The misses size was a 1/2" to 1" shorter in length, which I miss, but I'll deal with that.  My hips are my problem and even still this garment doesn't ride up.  It smooths and gives a nice shape and totally hides the... uh... cottage cheese.  LOL

Hope this helps someone!

Donna

2009-03-19 4:36 PM

User image

Wilmington

Thank you for posting about this. I ordered one today. I tend to order too large too. I'm a bit on the busty side, so I probably wouldn't run with the built-in bra, but it sounds like it'll be great for walking/riding my bike to the pool in. Oh, and for lap swims it should be perfect.

Just wondering, did you order any of the matching swim bottoms? I did. I'll let you know how they work out.

2009-03-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2028646

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
WiggleRoom - 2009-03-19 4:36 PM Just wondering, did you order any of the matching swim bottoms? I did. I'll let you know how they work out.

No. I didn't buy any of the swim bottoms; I think they only offered skirts.  I love the top though... so glad I got it!  

2009-03-21 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

So glad you shared this!  I knew Lands' End sold swimwear, but didn't know they were offering this great stuff.

What a beautiful top!  Glad it worked for you.

2009-03-28 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
i u can return land's end stuff at sears!!!! very easy!

2009-03-29 2:48 PM

User image

Wilmington

Yes, Land's End is great about the returns, and being able to return at Sears makes it even easier.

So, I got my Aqua Terra suit. It fits well. I love how the back of the top looks. I even like the wide-band bikini bottoms. The only thing is that I'm pretty busty, and the bra gives me a bit of a square, uniboob look. That's the only thing that I'm not 100% loving about it. I'm probably going to keep it, though, because it'll be great for the chasing the kids at the beach and pool this summer. 

2009-03-30 6:44 PM

User image

Master
NJ

They've also got some wonderful and inexpensive wicking shirts that I wear running all the time. Tagless, seamless and washes very nicely. Love Lands End! Thanks for the heads up on their suits!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-friendly Apparel at Lands End? Rss Feed