United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 26m 40s
Overall Rank = 3363/3449
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 254/267
Pre-race routine:

Walked down to the race site....so nice to have a hotel room and not have to deal with parking. For the third year in a row, ran into Tammy at the start!
Run
  • 3h 26m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Wind, wind, and more wind. It wasn't so bad while doing the first 6 miles through Davis Islands...we were protected there. Got to run past the girl whose shirt said "I'm tired and 7 months pregnant, please go around." She sure didn't LOOK that far along! Struck up a conversation with a girl wearing a shirt that said "hasish house" and I was determined to finish before her (and I did!) though she kept rushing to pass me, then stop and walk. We ran about the same pace for the first 10 miles and exchanged passes often.

Around mile 7, the sky opened and I got to run over the slick steel drawbridges in the rain. It really sucked that course wasn't blocked off at the first bridge, cuz hundreds of people were loitering around the bananas that were IN THE WAY. Had fun pretending to be in a mosh pit and PUSHING people aside. I understand the spectators being dumb, but for the folks who had finished already....HELLO? You KNOW this is the course!

The rain actually felt good, but I sure was SICK of running into the wind. Only 4 miles to go.

After about another mile or so I started mentally composing a letter to my family about how I really need their help and support and how awful I feel about myself when I suck. Its NOT their fault that I'm lazy and don't train enough or consistently, but it I could use their HELP instead of sabotage (what? running AGAIN....my gosh, take a day off....etc.)

It was very, very clear to me that some things have to change.

The hashish girl caught up to me and we decided to walk together for a bit...she told me about having the flu and I told her about my mental letter...we bonded and without realizing it, I was lulled into walking a 17 min mile for FAR too long. I happened to see my garmin and FREAKED. Wished her all the best and took off....didn't really make up much ground, but hey, I finished.
Post race
Event comments:

Next year, I want to do the Challenge.

Last updated: 2009-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:26:40 | 13.1 miles | 15m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/267
Overall: 0/3449
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-07 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Gasparilla Half-Marathon

2009-03-07 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2003547

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Gasparilla Half-Marathon
Nice job out there, it was definitely a tough race. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla Half-Marathon Rss Feed