United States
Wild Rover Series
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got up, ate, drove to the IL's in Andover, dropped off the dog, went and registered. they moved registration to the school near the bar, WAY better than last year with the crowds this race now pulls.
Event warmup:

had ten on the schedule, so ran the course once with AdCo. Then hung out with friends for a few minutes until it was time to run again.
Run
  • 57m 34s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm really proud of this race - last year it was my first 5 miler, I barely finished sub-60, and I was WRECKED for a few days. This year, I ran the loop once before the race, and then felt really good the entire second loop. Kept it conservative the first 2.5, then as soon as I hit the sharp turn/steep hill, slowly picked it up. I focused on speeding up a little up each hill (the hills that seemed like mountains last year), and after the turnaround point the only person that passed me was an 8 year old boy. I passed a LOT of people. On the windy backstretch, I tucked in behind a woman running about my speed. She sped up a bit, but I stayed with her to conserve energy. When the course turned just before the 4 mile mark and went up hill, I dropped her. She finished about a minute or so behind me. Coming around the last turn to the finish I got stuck behind 4 people running abreast, I had to really pick it up to run outside the finish chute and back around them. I kicked it up the chute and finished sounding like I was about to die... all in all, a success.
What would you do differently?:

not one thing. :) I was supposed to be running and just slower than MP today... so I already wasn't listening to my coach.
Post race
Warm down:

huffed and puffed, drank about a liter or so of water, left.

Event comments:

all in all, a super successful day.

Last updated: 2009-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:34 | 05 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %