General Discussion Race Reports! » Perth BRW Corporate Teams Triathlon series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Perth BRW Corporate Teams Triathlon series - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perth, Western Australia
Australia
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 36s
Overall Rank = 745/1400
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever triathlon. A mate from work who had done IM & HIMs suggested we enter into this as it was a team event. We eventually got 3 teams together.
My background is of doing not much at all for 20 years until I got persuaded into running last October. I went from not managing 1km without breathing to comfortably managing over 5km at a reasonable pace (for me!) I used to play water polo so was happy enough in the water, once I'd rediscovered my technique! The bike training only started at Christmas when I bought a bike.
So, I wasn't looking for a stunning time, just to get through in reasonable shape and not be last out of the 9 of us! I also set myself a goal of 1 hour!

Got up at 4:30, ate some cereal and a banana, and drank juice and a bottle of Endura, Drove into Perth, parked the car and met up with guys from work. Checked the bike in, lost the race tag, found the race tag, and then checked out the facilites to cure last minute nerves
Event warmup:

Good start here - I lost the teams timing strap. Luckily it was back in transition and had fallen out of my bag when I was setting up our gear.

Looking round at all the expensive bikes in transition!!
A few stretches before we jumped in the river ready to start.

There are no official transition times, with the bike leg taking the majority of the hit, so I've guessed times for those. With this being a big event (2200 competitors in 2 events) there was a long old run between swim & bike and bike & run which is why the transition times are so high.
Swim
  • 07m 36s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my comfort leg so I knew what I was doing. The only issue was sighting with the sun being so low on the last part. It felt good to pass people from the wave ahead. With our team being in the informal group, we had a lot of really good swimmers so I ended up swimming alongside two other people the whole way round until I left them behind on the last 100m
What would you do differently?:

Trust my swimming more and push a bit harder
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Wow, running immediately after a swim is different isn't it? Especially with a 60 second run just to get to the bike! Once I'd got everything sorted I was settled and off. Not got clipless pedals yet so went with runners with no socks and elastic laces just to try and catch a few seconds on my work colleagues! Apart from 2 blisters, it went well.

Put more talc in my runners
Bike
  • 21m
  • 10 kms
  • 28.57 km/hr
Comments:

The 5km loop out was nice, with a strong tail wind. Hit 34km/h average I think on this part which for me having only started cycling again 3 months ago was good, but the head wind back wasn't so fun. Really struggled with leg power but I now have things to work on. Remembered to spin for the last 500m on a reccomendation from the experienced triathletes which surprisingly did help my legs not feel as bad as the last brick I did when I didn't do this.
I did have a problem with my bike where it kept jumping gears. It's done this for the last month or so and was in the bike store the previous week getting 'fixed'. It's back there now!

Get more bike training done, and buy clipless pedals and shoes.
Get bike fixed earlier.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Another long run from dismounting bike to racking bike to getting out of transition.

Not get my bike stuck in the handlebars of my teammate
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Well..... running is my weak point and I quickly found out that being better on the swim meant I was going to get passed a lot in the run. Still, my best run ever over 4km was 21:40 so to only be a minute and half slower after doing the swim & bike was OK with me. Even though I was shattered and I felt slower than I was, I should have trusted my instinct to finish and tried to push harder.

Push harder - no point leaving anything behind.
Might also help if I hadn't inadvertantly brushed a steel barrier and tore a nice hole in my brand new tri-shorts. Damn! Good job they were on special at the 2xU store in Melbourne :) Bad job that I live in Perth :(
Post race
Warm down:

Chatting with the rest of the guys, watching my teammates compete (it was a 3 person relay) and seeing just how much fun triathlon can be. THen when it was all over, we all headed for the bar by the river for a couple of well-earned beers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Base fitness and not having done any real exercise until 5 months before.

Event comments:

Well, I broke my goal of 1 hour, and with the transition areas being so big, I was stoked to do 58:36. I was also 4th out of the 9 of us from work, and only 7 seconds behind 3rd & 49 seconds behind 2nd, which I was more pleased about than anything else. It shows a reasonable swim can make big inroads compared to those scared or hesitant of the water. Now if I could only run better I might do OK!

Now to work out whether I should go for the Sprint at Hillarys in April or play safe with the Enticer. Still unsure if my base fitness will let me do 750m/20km/5km even though I know I can do them all individually. Still, got a few weeks to decide on that.
In the meantime one of the guys at work who has done a HIM before but doesn't like swimming has persuaded me to do the swim and another mate to do the run. This has now escalated into two work teams heading for Busso in a couple of months plus one guy doing the individual. SHould be a lot of fun, especially as I'll finish so early in the day......

Thanks for reading, hope I haven't bored you too much - I've read that many reports on here I knew I must attempt to give something back.
NigelW

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:36 | 400 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 170/1400
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Rectangular shapeed course in the Swan River.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:00 | 10 kms | 28.57 km/hr
Overall: 825/1400
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 5km out and back alongside the River Swan
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:20 | 04 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Overall: 1089/1400
Performance: Average
Course: 2km out and back with the bike course on one side and the Swan River on the other
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-09 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Perth BRW Corporate Teams Triathlon series

2009-03-10 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2005630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Perth BRW Corporate Teams Triathlon series

Great report and congratulations on your first foray into triathlon and beating your goals time. The BRW series is a great way to get started! Hope to see more race reports from you.

2009-03-10 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Well done on your first tri!    Great result! 
2009-03-11 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Hey guys

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm all set to do the Hillarys Sprint race in early April, then the swim leg as part of a team at Busso HIM.

Looking forward to it, and the training has ramped up already

NigelW

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Perth BRW Corporate Teams Triathlon series Rss Feed