National Multiple Sclerosis Society
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 58s
Overall Rank = 398/676
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 50/85
Pre-race routine:

This was another late afternoon race so I had plenty of time to prepare for it. I went for a bike ride early in the morning, went on a long walk, and did lots of stretching throughout the day. I ate some leftover pasta around 12:30 and then I ate two pieces of toast before leaving for the race around 2.
Event warmup:

I jogged from the parking garage to Tir Na Nog for packet pickup and then I walked back to my car to put everything away. I jogged back to the start line and found a few people from my running club to chat with. I stretched for a few minutes before it was go time.
Run
  • 51m 58s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a tough one. I tried to stick to my 10/2 run/walk intervals but I felt like a slug towards the end. I definitely used up all of my energy on this one - it wasn't too terribly hot but the effects of the constant hills and no shade really got to me.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably take it easy on the workouts that I did earlier in the day so that my legs were more rested. I also would have brought my bigger Nathan hand bottle. I used a small hand bottle and it just wasn't enough for hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a bit and stretched a lot. I drank a ton of water and then I enjoyed the awesome buffet - salad, bread, three types of pasta, potato salad, cucumber salad, rice, and oranges - yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tired legs, not enough hydration, hills, hills, and more hills.

Event comments:

As an inaugural run, this was definitely well put together. They definitely needed more water stops though - I had a hand bottle but a lot of people were struggling because the only water stop was more than half way through the course. The post race activities were awesome. I would definitely do this race again... after being better prepared for a constant hill workout.

Last updated: 2009-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:58 | 04.97 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/85
Overall: 398/676
Performance: Below average
Course: The course wound through the neighborhoods of downtown Raleigh and around the big cemetery. It was extremely hilly... quite possibly the hilliest course that I have run here in Raleigh. It seemed like every time you ran up a hill you would turn a corner, run downhill for a minute, and then run right back up another hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-09 8:00 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: St. Patty's Run Green 8K

2009-03-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2005739

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: St. Patty's Run Green 8K
Great job, Amber--sub-10:30 pace on the hills as you describe them with your 10/2 run/walk mix is pretty impressive. Congrats on the finish and thanks for sharing your RR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patty's Run Green 8K Rss Feed