General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need another energy source besides Caffeine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-09 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Need another energy source besides Caffeine
Trying to kick the diet Coke habit but don't know of anything beside narcotics that will give me a legal buzz.  Suggestions?

2009-03-09 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2006955

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Need another energy source besides Caffeine
How about tea? Or are you trying to kick caffeine altogether, not just soda?
2009-03-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2007101

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

puellasolis - 2009-03-09 5:04 PM How about tea? Or are you trying to kick caffeine altogether, not just soda?

Caffeine altogether.

2009-03-09 10:26 PM

chicago
its expensive but 5 hour energy works well for me, its just a bunch of b vitamins and such either way find something that resorts to b vitiamins and not caffine
2009-03-10 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2007625

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

ceiph - 2009-03-09 10:26 PM its expensive but 5 hour energy works well for me, its just a bunch of b vitamins and such either way find something that resorts to b vitiamins and not caffine

Sorry that is not right at all. 5 hour energy is full of caffiene. From their label:

CAUTION: Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin.

2009-03-10 11:55 AM

To be quite honest, you can get "energy" simply from taking care of yourself - eating well, keeping hydrated, getting exercise and plenty of rest. I can't drink coffee b/c of the caffeine content, I don't drink soda, and while I do like tea and drink it regularly, I don't "need" it to wake up or anything. All of the things I mentioned seem to work for me and have done so for the past 28 years...

I know I'm among the minority who doesn't buy that a human being can't function without caffeine. But if you want to quit it, you'll have to slowly wean yourself off, like any addictive substance.

2009-03-10 12:45 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
I'm big on drinking plain old water. I tend to feel better when I'm hydrated, and drinking cool water can wake me up when I'm bleary-eyed (like today).

If nothing else, having to pee frequently gets me up out of my chair to go to the bathroom, and the brief walk can be refreshing.
2009-03-10 12:48 PM

Another thing that works for me is working out in the morning - as long as you can drag yourself out of bed (which I realize is a challenge in and of itself), you're good for the rest of the day, all hopped up on endorphins
2009-03-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2008466

User image

Mountain View, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-03-10 9:55 AM

To be quite honest, you can get "energy" simply from taking care of yourself - eating well, keeping hydrated, getting exercise and plenty of rest. I can't drink coffee b/c of the caffeine content, I don't drink soda, and while I do like tea and drink it regularly, I don't "need" it to wake up or anything. All of the things I mentioned seem to work for me and have done so for the past 28 years...

I know I'm among the minority who doesn't buy that a human being can't function without caffeine. But if you want to quit it, you'll have to slowly wean yourself off, like any addictive substance.

x2. I don't tolerate caffeine well in the morning, especially on an empty stomach or if I haven't gotten enough sleep (I know, just when the caffeine would be most useful) so I make do with non-caffeine methods. I mentioned water in my other post, but when I'm on the ball about getting to bed at an appropriate hour, an early morning workout is the best thing for making me alert and productive throughout the day. (ETA: or, what wurkit said.)

And x2 on the weaning. Start cutting back a bit each day, and eventually you'll be free of it.

Edited by puellasolis 2009-03-10 12:49 PM
2009-03-10 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY

I sympathize, I'm a reformed caffeine junkie.  

My advice is simply cut it out entirely and knuckle through the withdrawal.  I don't know of any adequate legal replacements but I've used some "mental" replacements that seem to help.  For instance, I purchased a wide variety of decaf teas so times when I would have wanted 2 or 3 cups of coffee I'll have a few cups of tea.  If I get a craving for carbonated caffeine, I hit up seltzer/sparkling water with lemon.  

After cutting it out entirely for a few weeks, I reintroduced it two or three months ago insofar as I now like to have a cup of green tea in the afternoon and I take a multi-vitamin that has a bit of caffeine.  The important part is that I (and even more importantly my friends/family) no longer notice when I *haven't* had either.

2009-03-10 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I use to big on the expensive 5 hour energy shots, but resorted to the vitamin B sprays. It seems to work well and is cost effective. Plus it doesn't really have any negative side-effects and is caffeine free.

2009-03-12 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Try Astragalus root tea.  No caffeine, I read about it in the book You Are What You Eat. Good book. Anyway, works for me, if you use two tea bags you will be climbing walls.
2009-03-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2008628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Webster, Ma

wurkit_gurl - 2009-03-10 1:48 PM Another thing that works for me is working out in the morning - as long as you can drag yourself out of bed (which I realize is a challenge in and of itself), you're good for the rest of the day, all hopped up on endorphins

I will second that motion. I love working out in the morning. I try to do it 2-3 times a week so I don't get too used to it but I feel awesome when I get to work!

I sometimes feel a little tired in the afternoon because for me to swim before work I have to get up at 4:45am so that takes its toll on me but other than that working out in the a.m. is awesome!!

2009-03-15 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Siberian Ginsing. Not the Korean stuff, get the Siberian. Real pure Siberian ginsing is a bit pricey, but worth it. The cheaper grocery/drug store stuff is useless, you have to get the good stuff at a healthfood store. If you totally kick the caffine, give your body a chance to "reset" itself after the caffine out of the system you will feel the effects of the ginsing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need another energy source besides Caffeine Rss Feed