General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Protein, Low Carb diet, does it really help?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-09 10:28 PM

Subject: High Protein, Low Carb diet, does it really help??

I have come across this argument with some of my friends who are heavy into weight training and I wonder if this is actually true. I am a fit person myself and I try and eat healthy, well-balanced meals as often as I can (I do cheat every so often). My dilemma is this, and I welcome any advice or information on individuals who have nutritional knowledge or have tried this type of diet themselves.

So, this diet is a very low carb program (approximately 30 grams of carbs per day!) which means you are consuming large amounts of protein, and more fat consequently. This also includes vegetables, but only if they are on the low carb side, no potatoes and certainly no fruits. Now, this carb starved period is supposed to last Monday - Friday, then after midnight on Friday you are allowed to carb load for the next 36 hours. This means you can enjoy all the fruits, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. your heart desires. This carb loading period is supposed to replenish your glycogen stores but also "shock" your body to keep your metabolism at its highest. Then you are supposed to return to the low carb period for the rest of the week. During this time, your body is now burning off fat stores instead because there will be no glycogen left over. Overall, this is supposed to make you gain more lean muscle and a more cut appearance ( I should add that weight training and cardio are to be done in conjunction with this eating strategy).

Is this healthy? Isn't it necessary for the body to have carbs ready to burn for proper metabolic and brain function without starving it? Also, wont this increase the ketone bodies in your blood, leaving to decreases in calcium, and maybe blood acidosis? I have wanted to try this, but i'm scared this isnt healthy.....Thanks for letting me ramble, but I would love to hear what all of you have to say.....

2009-03-10 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2007627

User image

Master
Subject: RE: High Protein, Low Carb diet, does it really help??
I'm losing about half a pound a day following a diet that simply eliminates processed food, sugar and soda. The percentages when I track the calories work out to roughly 35-40% carb, 35% fat, 25% protein. The Zone advocates 40-30-30. The fats are healthy fats such as olive oil, avocado and walnuts.
2009-03-10 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

This sounds like the Anabolic Diet. High fat, high protein < 30 g carbs a day. 

I am currently following it and it works great for me. It takes about 4 weeks for your body to get fat adapted and use fat for energy instead of carbs. The first two weeks were difficult. 

You do not need carbs for energy. I ran a marathon on Feb 15 following this approach and I felt great. I had energy and took nothing but Power aid at every stop.

I just feel better with low carbs. I tend to get really sleepy after a carb meal. My carb up is only about a half day on Sat, not the whole weekend.

It is not for everyone, but if you are very sensitive to carbs, it can be a great way to go. 

2009-03-20 5:46 PM

User image

Master
PA

I did it, but my carbs weren't that low.  My carbs were around 100g/day.  And one day per week was a free day where you could literally have at it and eat whatever you wanted.  I did not have alcohol though.  I went from a size 10 to a size 4 in about 8 weeks.  I've maintained it for a year and a half.  I did a boot camp program which was about 70% strength training and 30% cardio in the form of High Intensity Interval Training.  I found that endurance training is kinda the opposite in terms of training adaptations.   So, it's been tough to have both. As tri training increased I did increase my carbs significantly, and i HATE it.   But I do it anyway b/c i think it's healthier.  Which is what it's really about IMO.

It's really all about what your top goals are and figuring out what will work best for YOU.   If your goal is training for an IM, it's probably not the best time to go high protein, low carb w/ a heavy strength training routine.  If the primary goal is a certain body types and you just throw tris in on the side, well, then it might work for you.

2009-03-20 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
There are a couple of studies out there that seem to suggest that a low carb approach works well for women with pre-diabetes or other blood sugar issues. I would say that if you are doing well on a more balanced diet, then stick to it. I think that it is a healthier way to go. But, if you are one of those people who is doing everything right and you still can't shed the extra fat, it would be worth a try.
2009-03-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2007931

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Nipper - 2009-03-10 6:31 AM

You do not need carbs for energy. I ran a marathon on Feb 15 following this approach and I felt great. I had energy and took nothing but Power aid at every stop.

Ummmm, Powerade (I assume you are talking about the electrolyte drink) has plenty of carbs in it. So you did need carbs. Just sayin

2009-03-25 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Perhaps I should have clarified. In the past I used Gu and shot blocks to get through the later miles in a marathon. I did not carry any with me this time. Powerade was provided on the course and I took it because it was 70 degrees out and I was thirsty.

The point I was trying to make was you do not need heaps of carbs in your training to complete a distance event (such as a marathon).

Edited by Nipper 2009-03-25 2:01 PM
2009-03-25 2:09 PM

New user

I have tried Low carb diets for a short time. They work just fine. But its really hard to function in the real world when your diet is that of a wild dog. And smelling like nail polish remover all the time gets old real fast.

When you see these diets that talk about not having Glycogen and burning only fat for energy you know that its smoke and mirrors. Without glycogen you would not be going out to run or functioning in any normal way. If you dont eat any carbs your body will make glycogen out of what ever you have. 

Edited by MManary 2009-03-25 2:17 PM
2009-03-25 2:38 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I just recently (for about the past 3 weeks) have changed up my diet and eliminated a lot of carbs.  I haven't totally cut them out, but just cut back.  I still eat fruits (which are carbs) but that's ok since I still want to get some healthy carbs from somewhere.  But I haven't been eating pasta/breads like I have in the past and amazingly I've had the energy to train with the smaller amount of carbs I am taking in.  I drink a lot of protein shakes with milk and eat a lot of protein- chicken and fish.  I get my fats from good fats, like cottage cheese and such.  I don't feel bloated and lathargic, or crave carbs non stop like I used to.  I really like the higher protein diet.

Anyways, the diet change is working for me. I mostly changed it up so that I'd get more protein for muscle recovery and to gain a leaner appearance. I wouldn't necessarily say that I've lost weight, but I do appear "leaner" and my clothes are looser.  So I know I'm doing something right.  Once I start my IM training I'm gonig to have to add in more carbs, but I'm going to be smart about what carbs those are.

Every now and then I might crave something sweet and carb-ish and I let myself eat it.  But what's difference is that it doesn't take much to satisfy my craving- whereas before I would overindulge.  I think it all just goes back to moderation- anything can be good if it's done in moderation.

2009-03-26 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Diet proposed by the OP sounds like an excuse for meatheads to party hard on the weekends and then get back to staring at themselves in mirrors at the gym for the remainder of the week.
2009-03-26 2:46 PM

I have been doing this same diet for about 3 weeks now. I had gained around 18 lbs back during the winter months do to holidays and what not. I've lost 11 of those pounds now and looking for to trimming down more. I weighed 280 at the same time last year and I weigh 215 now. Weekends are hard to stay true to a sensible diet do to the family life and never being at home on the weekends. I still try to eat healthy out but sometimes you just got to splurge every once in a while. If you don't, you'll end up hating what you're doing. I've eaten chicken at least 3 times a day for the past year and it's just a habit now, but I do look forward to the weekends...

2009-03-26 9:06 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
ns06yv - 2009-03-09 8:28 PM

I have come across this argument with some of my friends who are heavy into weight training and I wonder if this is actually true. I am a fit person myself and I try and eat healthy, well-balanced meals as often as I can (I do cheat every so often). My dilemma is this, and I welcome any advice or information on individuals who have nutritional knowledge or have tried this type of diet themselves.

So, this diet is a very low carb program (approximately 30 grams of carbs per day!) which means you are consuming large amounts of protein, and more fat consequently. This also includes vegetables, but only if they are on the low carb side, no potatoes and certainly no fruits. Now, this carb starved period is supposed to last Monday - Friday, then after midnight on Friday you are allowed to carb load for the next 36 hours. This means you can enjoy all the fruits, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. your heart desires. This carb loading period is supposed to replenish your glycogen stores but also "shock" your body to keep your metabolism at its highest. Then you are supposed to return to the low carb period for the rest of the week. During this time, your body is now burning off fat stores instead because there will be no glycogen left over. Overall, this is supposed to make you gain more lean muscle and a more cut appearance ( I should add that weight training and cardio are to be done in conjunction with this eating strategy).

Is this healthy? Isn't it necessary for the body to have carbs ready to burn for proper metabolic and brain function without starving it? Also, wont this increase the ketone bodies in your blood, leaving to decreases in calcium, and maybe blood acidosis? I have wanted to try this, but i'm scared this isnt healthy.....Thanks for letting me ramble, but I would love to hear what all of you have to say.....

No, that is not an optimal diet for an endurance athlete. That's not really an optimal diet for ANYone, despite what gym rats say. (I am constantly amazed at what gym rats will pound down in the belief that it will instantly transform them.)

Your best bet is to keep 60% or so  (Maybe a little more) of your diet in high quality carbs. Veggies, whole grain rice, wheat bread, seminola, quinoa, cous cous, fruits, etc. Split the other 40% pretty evenly between quality fats (olive oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, etc) and low fat proteins. Add in a serving of salmon or other fatty fish to get the good omega-3's a few times a week.

As far as losing weight, if calories in < calories out, you will lose weight. All these other diets are not healthy, nor are they permanent. Permanent fat loss (Other than on a medically supervised type diet) is usually MAXED at 1-2 lbs per week.

Part of the reason that high protein low carb diets drop weight so fast, is that muscle glycogen also retains a lot of water. So, when your carbs and glycogen return to normal, you gain back that weight anyway.

John

2009-03-31 5:11 AM

User image

New user

I completed a high pro and low carb diet back when I use to run. I was going to the gym 5 times a week for strength training and running 3 times a week. (8-10km) I dropped 18lbs from 194lbs in 6 months and increased body muscle.

So yes, I would say it worked for me. 

2009-04-09 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
I'd say the concept is good but adjust your numbers ... if you are doing endurance training ... or really any sort of training .. you need more carbs ... just cut out all simple and processed carbs.

Nothing wrong with fruit .. you need lots of it ... and even though they are high in carbs they are good carbs ... also the bulk and fiber in fruit slows up the digestion of the sugar and carbs so you won't spike you blood sugar levels and you will get sustained energy.

Fruits, and only whole grain or wheat breads and pasta (still only in small amount though), perhaps cut out corn, potatos (except sweet potatos) ... eat lots of green, orange, red veggies ...

Get quality protein ... lots of grilled skinlesss chicken, turkey, lean beef once or twice a week ... use protein shakes and bars to supplement or as a workout food ... not your main source of protein ... but in the past a high protein, low carb diet always worked well for me.

That is what I did during the time frame I lost 65 lbs from Jan to July ... I need to get back to that ... since I've been high carbs and low protein and haven't lost a pound since August.

I know it all some downs to Calories In - Calories out ... but I swear that some people are better at processing and burning protein and some are better at processing carbs ... and for me ... when I'm full on protein I don't feel as hungry all the time ... with carbs I do ... so maybe that has caused me to cheat or eat more than I think I am ... but when on a high protein diet I never feel too hungry or like cheating ...

Edited by klowman 2009-04-09 10:02 AM
2009-04-09 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I used that diet for about 2 years (a decade ago) and while I was on it I had low body fat and plenty of lean muscle mass.  I'm 6'1" and I was 205 with about 8-9% body fat.  However, at that time I was a vigorous anaerobic athlete (strength training and combat sports).  It was a diet well suited for jiu jitsu where we fought in weight classes and the like, but I couldn't imagine eating the same way for a slow-twitch sport or triathlon.  I would think you'd bonk like crazy.  It's also difficult to sustain; as soon as my wife and I began having kids it became too hard to maintain and I gained 15 pounds very quickly.
2009-04-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2073653

User image

Champion
the colony texas
when you are eating that little amount of carbs a day (less than 20-30) you are basically on the Adkins diet.. this puts your body in the state of ketosis which cannibalizes both fat and muscle.  even in the Adkins they only want you eating that way apx 14 days to get the body feeding off itself.  It's tough on your kidneys requiring you to drink more water.  My kidney function test results were scary high when I was on it... IMHO it's not a very healthy or long term style of eating..

I will admit that over ten years ago I was on it.. lost a decent amount of weight and could keep it off.. I literally was losing one pound every day which isn't' healthy..   I played lots of competitive sand volleyball while on it, but it wasn't' until I started training for a marathon that my body told me that I just couldn't' eat that way and train effectively

2009-04-23 10:46 AM

Syracuse
I have been doing the paleo diet this season which is a high protein low carb diet. What I have been eating is Meats, Veggies, Fruit and Nuts. I have cut out grains, dairy, sugar, and anything with artificial flavoring. The fist week is hard just because you have to cleanse all the crap out of your system. I have lost over ten pounds and feel the best ever
2009-04-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2105349

I've heard about the Paleo diet. The guys who write it think of it more like a way of living right? Thats how they both eat all the time, not for diet purposes. Do you know if once you lose the weight you want, if you'll stay on the diet forever? Just curious... paleo eating makes sense when I read about it, but if all that is said above both arguements are strong.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Protein, Low Carb diet, does it really help?? Rss Feed