General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first ever ride on a tri bike, from mountain bike commuter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-10 9:11 AM

Bunbury
Subject: first ever ride on a tri bike, from mountain bike commuter

Well, my $1400 AUD Ebay bargain 2006 Felt B2 arrived today, wow it's light was my first impression, I wanted to take it for a ride straight away but I needed clipless shoes to go with the Look Keo classic pedals that were fitted so off for another shopping spree. I arrive home with a high pressure air pump, shimano begginer shoes and a pair of look cleats 9 degree, (good for begginers as I was informed)

by the time I fitted the cleats and pumped up the tyres to 100psi it was dark out so I went and fitted my helmet light and set off. These pedals are crazy, got to be on the ball and plan your stops with plenty of warning to yourself!, Coming from a nice comfy mountain bike and never having ridden a road bike before let alone a tri bike, I was amazed at just how much faster it can go if you push it hard and use the pedals to both push and pull the cranks around. It's a weird kind of ride though, very twitchy, bumpy and just totaly different to what I am used to a 20km test ride left me feeling sore in the upper body from leaning on the pursuit bars and the aero bars just feel plain scary at the moment, even taking one hand off the pursuit bar to shift gears left me wandering out of my line by a couple of feet! I think I need to make a few changes to seat height, bar angle and aero position perhaps turn them out for a little more control.

So all in all, it feels sharp, fast and unforgiving, I am guessing others have been in the same boat? How long did it take you to get used to it?  

2009-03-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2008032

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-11 8:19 AM

Bunbury
Subject: RE: first ever ride on a tri bike, from mountain bike commuter
After lowering the seat down about 65mm it feels alot better now, I still have to lose 10kg maybe 15kg, then I am sure the bike will feel how it is supposed to. I want to commute on it but that may be a bit ambitious, will stick with my Giant STP2 hardtail mountain bike and weird Graham Obree aero positioning. I have until November before my first sprint tri season begins so hope to make it through with a smile on my face
2009-03-11 8:26 AM

Elite
Miami

my experience is identical.  i went from mtb riding.  to a straight up tri bike.  it is a completely different sport. 

after 650 miles on the new p2, i can't put it down.  the moment i get on the bike and in the areo position i feel at home. 

one thing i would recommend is fitting.  unless you know what you are doing.  make sure you are not too cramped on the bike and you can breath comfortably. 

2009-03-11 8:32 AM

Bunbury

haha BREATHE I do, it has a strange ability to entice you to put the power in and get moving, or is that just the petrol in my veins!

Hills that had me down to 18kmph on the mountain bike were climbed at nearly twice the speed but the heart rate was heading into the 180's

2009-03-11 7:57 PM

Master

I did the same as you - from mountain bike only to tri bike, completely bypassing the road bike.

It took one ride of 25 miles to feel pretty ok on it. Took probably around 200 to feel like it was becoming natural, but aero for long periods is still a bit of a challenge for me.

The speed rocks. I went from being the back of the group to being too fast for the group in one fell swoop with no training added with the switch in bikes.

2009-03-12 8:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

Congrats on the new bike, I am riding a 2008 B2 that I bought for a good deal from the LBS.  No question this is a completely different feel than a mountain bike.  It is hard to over emphasize the importance and benefit of a good fitting on a tri bike.  In some ways, I think it is more important than getting fitted on a mountain bike or road bike.  You need to be really comfortable in the aero position because if you aren't, you won't be in the cups as much as you should.  If you aren't in the cups, you are completely defeating the purpose of the bike.  If you are properly fitted, you shouldn't have back problems because your back muscles will not be used as much as a road bike or mountain bike.

Good luck,

Greg

2009-03-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2012767

Elite
Miami
trinewby - 2009-03-12 8:18 AM

Congrats on the new bike, I am riding a 2008 B2 that I bought for a good deal from the LBS.  No question this is a completely different feel than a mountain bike.  It is hard to over emphasize the importance and benefit of a good fitting on a tri bike.  In some ways, I think it is more important than getting fitted on a mountain bike or road bike.  You need to be really comfortable in the aero position because if you aren't, you won't be in the cups as much as you should.  If you aren't in the cups, you are completely defeating the purpose of the bike.  If you are properly fitted, you shouldn't have back problems because your back muscles will not be used as much as a road bike or mountain bike.

Good luck,

Greg

i agree with this.  at least the 1st fitting should be done by someone at the LBS maybe.  it MAY seem bogus...but it will help.  since tri bikes are meant to be ridden in aero position its important for the legs to get maximum efficiency. 

my first fitting felt ok then i did a 50 mile ride and i couldn't breat right.  got it refitted pushed the seat further down and made a world of difference.

2009-03-13 7:43 AM

Expert
Greer, SC
Complete different isn't it.  I was in the same boat, except I transitioned into a road bike before a tri.  My first time on it was in a sprint tri during the bike portion!  I had been a longtime mountain biker and made the switch.  Completely different.  I definitely agree about getting fitted.  It is huge.  It will help you pedal more efficiently and possibly avoid injury - speaking from experience there.  It did not take long to get used to the feeling of a road/tri.  It took a little longer (about three months) for my muscles to completely adjust.
2009-03-14 8:57 PM

Bunbury

Well, I took it for a quick commute to work and had a blast, I definately need to angle the bars up a touch, slide the aero bars back 2 inches and move my seat forward a touch and angle it down a couple of degrees, will have to take it in for a propper fit, I am 169cm tall and the bike is a 54cm size.

On my way home I decided to give it a good workout and see what time I could crack, my previous 13 km record over lots of undulating hilly counrty roads was 28 minutes on the mountain bike with max hr of 198 and avg of 166, this time on the b2 it was 20 minutes and max hr of 233!!!!! and avg of 177, jeeeeezus christ talk about unfit!, My resting hr is 51bpm

can't wait to see what I can crack with the right fit

2009-03-14 8:57 PM

Bunbury

Well, I took it for a quick commute to work and had a blast, I definately need to angle the bars up a touch, slide the aero bars back 2 inches and move my seat forward a touch and angle it down a couple of degrees, will have to take it in for a propper fit, I am 169cm tall and the bike is a 54cm size.

On my way home I decided to give it a good workout and see what time I could crack, my previous 13 km record over lots of undulating hilly counrty roads was 28 minutes on the mountain bike with max hr of 198 and avg of 166, this time on the b2 it was 20 minutes and max hr of 233!!!!! and avg of 177, jeeeeezus christ talk about unfit!, My resting hr is 51bpm

can't wait to see what I can crack with the right fit

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first ever ride on a tri bike, from mountain bike commuter Rss Feed