State of Mind Sports, Inc
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 - ate oatmeal and bagel with peanut butter. Had coffee and loaded up to drove 45 minutes to race site. At race site - got TA setup and went to water to try and visualize my swim. This is my first Oly and my first OWS in a wetsuit and my first OWS of this distance. I have swam this distance in a pool but had some minimal rest breaks to catch my breath. I was a little nervous to say the least for this swim.
Event warmup:

Not a lot of warmup. Was at the site plenty early. Ran a couple of miles lightly to get heart pumping. Got suit on and got to water to get in and get used to...was a little chilly and I wanted to get my face in the water to get more comfortable.
Swim
  • 28m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yikes. Where to begin. I signed up for this race for one reason and one reason only - to get a swim under my belt of distance before the NOLA 70.3. That is April 5 and is 1.2 miles so this was a little short but close enough. I have only completed 3 sprints to date in my short Tri career and while I feel comfortable in the water, I still struggle with the swim. I have been on a 12 week body for life weight loss-training program and have done my best to mix in 2-3 swims a week and still find time for my runs and bike training. Finding time for everything has been a challenge, so I decided when there was a cardio priority to be made - it was for swim training. My weight has come from 252.3 lbs to 218 lbs in 12 weeks so I really cannot complain. My first sprint was 1 year ago - almost to the day - and it took me 15 minutes to do the 400 meters in the pool at Parris Island Sprint Tri. Had surgery last summer that sidelined me for a while and I just got back to training in December. Had lovely idea of signing up for a HIM. Hmmm. Decided to use this race as a training race for the swim so the HIM in New Orleans on 4/5/09 would not be a disaster. Back to the race. Decided to start in the rear to stay out of the crowd (only about 120 or so in my start) but it was a small start area. Also decided to start with a breast stroke to get comfy. I was not concerned with time at all...all along my goal was to survive the swim. Swim started and off we went. Breaststroked, but finally started with my freestyle but quickly realized my HR was wayy too high. I worked on swimming in the pool in my masters class when I was out of breath and to try to reduce my HR WHILE I was swimming..this seemed to help a little but everytime I got 7 or 8 strokes in a row I would run into someone in front of me. I think I apologized 100 times during this race. This was a Triangle type loop...swim to first buoy, make a left...go straight to next buoy (this was a long straightaway) and make a left back to the start. About midway between the two buoys (bouys 1&2) I startd to get concerned a bit...not really panicked just concerned that I might not be able to complete this distance. I flipped over on my back and catch my breath..helped a little but not a ton. Decided to just put my feet down on the bottom and rest for a second. Wait, we're not in a pool and this is deep. Ok, keep swimming. Had a little seperation and got a few nice strokes in but sighting was a challenge - I would look up every 5-7 stokes just to make sure I was headed to the next buoy. HR was still too high. I started to have thoughts of DNF and was trying to talk myself into finishing this first loop and calling it a day. Split personalities at work big time here. Problem was, we (my wife and I) drove 6 hours to get here and that would be a long drive home. Got back to the start - waved to my wife with the video camera and just started the second loop before I changed my mind. I was not at the very back of the pack but close enough. About halfway thru the 2nd and final loop, I came up on a guy that had been back stroking for a while and he said he had bitten off more than he could chew with this race and that this sucks. Inside, I was in full agreement with him about my decision also but I just told him he looked good and to keep it up..we were almost done. I watched him for a minute or two just to make sure he was ok..he seemed calm enough plus there were two kayaks close by so I headed on. Finished completely out of breath (just like I started the swim) at 27:00 by my watch time. I had to run a bit to the TA and I think that is were the added time came from my posted time..only a minute - no big deal.
What would you do differently?:

Just not sure. I feel like I have come along way with my swim - I am just not a swimmer. I CAN swim but just not a swimmer. Not yet. I either need more time in the pool or swim coaching. Or both. Open to feedback!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

TA was ok....first time doing this in a wetsuit and I practiced it, but when you are out of breath you are in no hurry. I also had a plan here to take a gel, but did not feel like consuming anything. When I get tired, the last thing I want to do is eat.

Practice this TA more out of a wetxuit.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike sucked. My arse hurt the entire time. I am on a new bike and have been on it twice since I bought it and one of those times was a time trial. I just could not find time to ride, with the cold weather and with most of my time that I have free for workouts - in the gym with weights. Bike is great and I love it, but the seat I am not used to. Seat is the ISM Adamo road saddle. I did spend a good amount of time on a stationary bike at the gym - almost 4-5 times a week but I guess I did not push it hard enough...in fact, I know I did not. I had to stop my bike about half a mile into the bike phase for about 2-3 minutes as somethine was wrong with my bike computer and this would be a problem if it did not work. I like to know how fast I am going for some reason. I seem to want to correlate my mph to my effort level. I feel like I should always be at 19mph or above for wahtever reason. Not sure that is a good thing. I am sure stopping affected my time somewhat. I did not spend much time in the aero position...just too uncomfortable. Maybe a minute or two at a time. I pushed the bike about as much as my fitness would allow...was never too terribly out of breath but my legs were fried and my butt hurt the entire, entire time. To the point that I wanted to get off within 2 mins of getting on. Seemed to do each of the four 6-mile legs faster than the previous. The only thing I drank was two packets of HEED that I wanted to try that I got from a race about 18 months ago. I assumed it was ok. I have not tried HEED before and I know this was a no no. I have had a problem with cramps in the past in longer runs - this would prove to come again on the run.

Get on bike more. This is a dillema as I just do not like to ride on open roads alone and they only two places that are paved trails really are not that close. Hopefully some group rides for folks my speed will start up soon.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

TA was ok...usually much better but my legs needed a second to relax. Had some discomfort/pain in quads of both legs. Was hoping it would subside during 6.2 mile run.

Better bike fitness would lead to a better T2 time...I am sure of this. I was just not in a hurry to start the run.
Run
  • 1h 00m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Major problems here. Figured it would take half mile or so to get legs underneath me...run is my best leg but that does not mean I am Chris McCormack. It just means I struggle the least on the run, that's all. At 1.5 miles my quads started cramping right near my knees on both legs. This was not good. Slowed to walk to assess severity....hurt to walk so I figure if it is going to hurt anyway, might as well run. Someone once said run hard and if it hurts, speed up. Tried this too...kept thinking if I run faster, I will be done sooner. Got two water station and downed two cups of gatorade. Quads were cramping almost every stride but it was managable. Towards end of first loop I stop to try and stretch my quads near a tree - bad, bad idea....hamstring immediately cramped up. This was actually count on camera by my wife and is funny to watch. I stop for a sec, then try to stretch and stop right away - then start running again. I was cussing under my breath. Ran first loop in 31 minutes...yikes. I really did not have any expectations as I have done lots of 6 mile runs but few after a 24 mile bike, so I did not know what to expect. So far, I had not had anything in my system but 1 gel and two half cups of gatorade. This can't be good. Stomach was aching - could this be 2 year old Heed that I had not tried before. I must be the poster boy for what not to do in a race: Try new sports drink during race, not train enough on bike, swim farther than really capable and not eat at all during race. Oh and try to go as fast as possible. Yes...that sounds like a plan. I shake my head as I type this. Back to the run - I must have stopped 4-5 times on second 3.1 mile loop to rub quads. Owwwwwwe. Finished run at 60:55. Pain pain pain. Just stood there at end as it hurt to walk.

Pretty much opposite of above. I need to figure out the cramping situation....that was not pleasant for a race that is not really a long race. I did a half marathon trail race one week ago and felt fine. Supe super fast but 16 minutes faster on the same course from last year and it was in the mud in the ouring rain. I know my triathlon fitness has a lot to do with it so I am expecting to be put in the wood chipped so to speak. Fire away.
Post race
Warm down:

Gingerly walked down to lake and sat down in cold water to see if this would help legs. Stomach was still aching. Ate a bagel and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness clearly. Lack of training with long runs and bikes. Nutrition sucked but I just cannot eat when I am hurting...not sure why.

Event comments:

I really had a good time, even though it was a sufferfest for me for 3 hours. Everyone was really nice and the event was well put on. I know I was slow but it was my first Oly and I have spent little time on outside rides. Pushing too hard on the bike lead to cramping on the run which led to funny faces on the video that my wife took while cramping. The sole reason I signed up for a small Oly 6-7 hours away was for a 1500m swim in a wetsuit. I made it thorough that, barely. I am still having stomach aches today - two full days later...it really has not let up. Not sure why. Will give it a couple more days to how it goes. After the race - some of the guys I was talking with kept saying that they thought the swim course was short. This was not something I wanted to hear. Everytime they brought it up, I covered my ears and said BLAH-BLAH-BLAH. It seemed long to me. We just agree to disagree. I am a little nervous about the 70.3 swim coming up. Trip is planned, race regist is paid and hotel is booked so I'm going. I have suffered through a 28 mile trail race last year (but finished) and even attempted a 50K trail race the year before that before DNF'ing at mile 22 due to cramps (another bright idea). I must be a glutton for punishment. Any and all comments are welcome...I know I brought this on myself but I have spent a lot of time training, just not specifically for tri's...more for weight loss. I was hoping my weight-loss results and impporved fitness would enable me to get through this my Oly....painfully it did. Thanks for taking the time to read this...I know it was long winded.

Brian
aka Trail_Runner

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:03 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR
Course: Counter clockwise 750m loop (two loops). Looked far. Rumoring after the race was that the swim was short....I really hope not because I struggled with it. It probably was...I am consistantly about a 2:15/100 in the pool so this was much faster and even in a wetsuit I had to breast srtoke and back stroke to get breathing under control.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:33 | 24.85 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/10
Performance: Bad
No HR measured during the race.
Wind: Some
Course: 12 mile oout and back....relatively flat on open roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: n/a
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:55 | 06.21 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Performance: Below average
No HR recorded.
Course: Two out and back loops that started with a run on grass back down towards the lake then on a trail before leading up to the road. Ran through a neighborhood before heading back to do another loop....relatively flat....not many hills at all.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-10 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Waldo Winter Tri Series

2009-03-10 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2008660

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Waldo Winter Tri Series

Your wifey has some mad photo skills!  Can't wait to see the video.  And don't worry, it won't be on AFV.

You have to look at the positives in this.  You learned what not to do and how your body reacts when you do different things.  You also mentally broke through a huge swim barrier.  You know you can do this you just have to be smart.  The first thing is to practice your nutrition BEFORE the race and in training. 

Learn from this race and adapt.  You've still got some time to make smart choices and I know you will make them.

2009-03-10 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Hey Brian - can't believe you're not completely proud of this entire race.  IMHO you rocked the whole thing.  What an incredible learning experience and way to stick it out no matter what.  Major mental toughness.

As for the swim, let me start by saying that I would give anything to do 1:43/100 yards anywhere anytime!  You may have not been happy, but you were a lot faste than you think.  And you are not alone with panic issues in the water.  I had the same thing happen to me last year in my first tri of the season (3rd of my life at the time).  I wore a wetsuit that I had never worn before and had not done an OWS.  And I had only been swimming for about 6 mos.  I felt like the wetsuit was choking me and like a dumb I swam up to a boat and unzipped the thing and pulled it down to my waist.  Little did I know that was like drowning myself.  I had a major panic attack and swam from boat to boat (with the westsuit around my waist dragging me down) to the finish.  At one point I  had one of the boats go ahead of me cause I knew I would need them again and again.  But like you I kept letting go and swimming cause there was no way I was gonna let that water beat me.  At one point I even pulled one of the boats along cause I was scared to let go (you're allowed to pull them and not visa versa).  I was the second to last one out of the water. 

After something like this happens you can not catch your breath - I finished the race, but barely.  What I'm trying to tell you here is that I am guessing that part of your bike and run problems were caused by your HR being so high in the swim and never really being able to get it back under control.

Good part of this story is I learned a big time lesson and went for lots of OWS with Marvarnett to overcome the panic.  And I continued with masters and ended up having a great season. 

Good that you did this now before NO cause now you have experience, can work on any problems and make sure they don't happen again.

Congrats on a great race!

2009-03-11 7:32 AM

User image

Elite
SE
way to go Trail_Runner! Fighting through and living and learning! Be proud of yourself and come back stronger and more prepared.
2009-03-13 7:49 PM

User image

Orlando, FL
I hope you are feeling better man.  This report was interesting and definitely resonates with me.  Live and learn.  You sound like you will be ready for NO based on your experience here.   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waldo Winter Tri Series Rss Feed