General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article: Core strength training for triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-25 2:19 PM

Amarillo, TX
Subject: Article: Core strength training for triathletes
I just finished reading/critiquing Mr. Escalante's above titled article posted on this website. I must respond before someone becomes injured and ruins their season.
I am a licensed Physical therapist and was first offended by Mr. Escalante's assumption that:

"In physical therapy, when patients are asked to engage their core muscles, the patient merely holds their breath. They feel an increase pressure in the “core region” and associate the feeling with engagement of the core."

The exercises presented by the author are worthwhile but following his attack on physical therapists, he fails to instruct how the core (abdominals and lumbar paraspinals/erector spinae) actually are contracted prior to performing the exercises he recommends. Some of these exercises are rather difficult and could result in injury if not performed with caution.

For the first timer, the way to contract the core is as follows:
Lie on the floor on your back with the knees bent and the feet flat on the floor. Hands are relaxed at the side.
Push the lower back into the floor by rotating the pelvis posteriorly (the belly button moves toward the head) and hold for a count of 5 and continue to breathe normally. I would recommend performing at least 20 of these prior to attempting the more diffiulct exercises listed in the article so that the neuromuscular coordination has been set.
PLEASE DO THIS "PELVIC TILT" PRIOR TO AND DURING ALL OF YOUR CORE STABILIZATION EXERCISES in order to protect the disc and ligamentous structures.

FYI: the initials or alphabet soup behind Mr. Escalante's name infer that he is an athletic trainer and a certified personal trainer, the second of which can be obtained in a weekend class. By his own disclaimer he states:
"I am fat. I don’t swim. I don’t bike. I don’t run. I’m lucky to walk up or down a flight of stairs without going breathless, and lucky to be dragged out of bed for any pre-11 am activities. I am a regular at all fast food joints, especially the ones open late at night."

We all have to make choices about the advice we follow but I believe that the majority of the individuals on this site are looking for real advice from people with experience and training. I do not belive any articles written by this individual should find their way onto this site again.

Respectfully,
Jason Spencer,MPT

2005-03-25 2:46 PM
in reply to: #134203

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Article: Core strength training for triathletes

Is he really a coach at Crucible Fitness?  I wonder what Rich Strauss has to say about him?

I wonder if he will rebuttle here to hear his "side" of the story.

2005-03-25 3:25 PM

New user
The exercises presented by the author are worthwhile but following his attack on physical therapists, he fails to instruct how the core (abdominals and lumbar paraspinals/erector spinae) actually are contracted prior to performing the exercises he recommends. Some of these exercises are rather difficult and could result in injury if not performed with caution.

I fail to see how he attacked physical therapists. He merely said that most PATIENTS of physical therapists, when told to engage their core, don't do so correctly. I think you are reading something that isn't there.

If you have further insight to offer on the article then that's great but I don't see why you chose to malign this individual and his qualifications.

As for...
"I am fat. I don’t swim. I don’t bike. I don’t run. I’m lucky to walk up or down a flight of stairs without going breathless, and lucky to be dragged out of bed for any pre-11 am activities. I am a regular at all fast food joints, especially the ones open late at night."

• ..I too was confused by that but if you look at the guy's photo and the photos of him doing the exercise I'm pretty sure there was some sarcasm in there somewhere.

• I believe you need to lighten up.
    2005-03-25 4:14 PM

How does one get an article "published" on this site? Can "anyone" with expertise, or not, just submit an article and it gets "published" for all to view? That might be a bit dangerous, if what you're saying can harm us newbies. :=)

Sharon
    2005-03-25 4:20 PM

He doesn't look fat? hahaha Why is he writing that he's fat?
    Maybe it's just someone being silly....I didn't read the article, so I can't comment, though.

Sharon
    2005-03-25 4:39 PM
    in reply to: #134251

Elite Veteran
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    sharonnagy5 - 2005-03-25 4:14 PM

How does one get an article "published" on this site? Can "anyone" with expertise, or not, just submit an article and it gets "published" for all to view? That might be a bit dangerous, if what you're saying can harm us newbies. :=)

Sharon

That is one reason why we 'newbies' have to protect ourselves by being sure we are properly educated. The only way I know to do this is to READ READ READ everything you can get your hands on about this great new adventure we are undertaking, and all things having to do with nutrition, general fitness and training. You will start to see the same bits of good solid information coming from all of the reputable sources, and you will see that information echoed in the posts of your fellow BTer's and then you will know it is safe, effective and worthy of your valuable time.

2005-03-25 4:43 PM
    in reply to: #134212

User image

Champion
    Gold member
    fyi...he is a trainer for crucible fitness, and IMHO, a well respected coaching organization...lets see if i can get him or one of the associates to respond to this thread...
    2005-03-25 5:25 PM
    in reply to: #134261

User image

Champion
    Gold member

remember, in sports (and with anything) there are many ways that can be taken to get to the same goal...many points of veiws, many different convictions...there always seems to be data coming out that invalidates the prior study...and we all thought at one time the earth was flat!  that may be a poor analogy but in reality, this is a 1.5 person operation.  that would be a killer idea to have a 'panel' of people to screen articles, and check for accuracy, but we dont have the resources or time to do that...nothing would ever get published.  we trust the organizations who graciously donate content....and hope you do your due diligence in any application.

ovetta and myself do our best to check articles for accuracy but we are not experts in many areas...were newbs too (u may be an expert now ovetta...your going iron right? ).  hell, half the beginner plans on the site are written by me, my only credentials having a BS in Bio and a BA in Chemistry - which amount to virtually nothing here.  does that make me qualified to design the plans or run the site? But i have to say those plans have worked for me and others with varying degrees of success.

and if we want to talk about articles, what about forum posts!  were all experts in here...right?!

no, trying to be silly.  we just hope at the end of the day, that from the articles, plans and many knowledgeable users who post there points of veiw from their frame of referance, that SOMETHING of value will get distilled down into its pure form that is generally accepted and actually useful.

BUT as the good point is made, always be critical of what you read...before application, read more.  and i hope if anybody has an issue with content, i will do my best to get the author on-board to discuss it...unfortunately the written word is so subject to misinterpretation then a face-to-face.

and dont forget that disclaimer at the bottom!

OH...core training is a super hot-topic mentioned willy nilly it seems like...if you have some particulars or convictions of how core training should be done, and what it is, that would make an excellant article!

2005-03-25 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran

Jason,

I'll ask Manny to come in and comment on the article and his qualifications. I think the exchange will be educational. His bio is here:

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/coaching/coaches/manny/index.htm

Manny is about 5'2-3" and used to weigh....a lot in college. He turned his fitness around, finished IMWI'04 and has a special appreciation for athletes coming to the sport from a non-athletic or overweight background. I'll ask him to make this message more clear next time

Have a good weekend,

2005-03-25 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
    Littleton, CO
    An observation, since I don't know Jack about the core.I appreciate splinter's concern for our well being - especially since Idon't know the aforementioned Jack.Hopefully article authors will be cognizant of our lack of familiarity with Jack (we ARE noobs) and spell things out clearly.My thanks to Rich for popping in to offer creds. And, of course, thanks Manny for offering us some guidance by publishing an article here.This is probably an opportunity to remember that we have to CAREFULLY try things out 'til we know what we're doing. THEN choose what works for us.Think about it, it could be nutrition, speed work, base building, stretching, first IM, etc. Never stop learning.Nice to have Ron weigh in - and thanks for letting us all be here. You too Ovetta
    2005-03-25 9:49 PM

User image

New user

La Verne
    Greetings. Just wanted you all to know I am in the loop. I will reply to these posts ASAP.

Yours in Health,
    Manny

2005-03-25 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Let's see..a few snippets of Jason's post above...

splinter - 2005-03-25 2:19 PM
    I must respond before someone becomes injured and ruins their season.

I am a licensed Physical therapist and was first offended...

following his attack on physical therapists, he fails to instruct...

Some of these exercises are rather difficult and could result in injury...

FYI: the initials or alphabet soup behind Mr. Escalante's name infer....

I believe that the majority of the individuals on this site are looking for real advice from people with experience and training. I do not belive any articles written by this individual should find their way onto this site again.

Respectfully,
    Jason Spencer,MPT

Jason,

If you were working anywhere near me, your post above would make me run, not walk, the other way. If you really meant to come off as a nitpicking, condescending know-it-all, you've done a fine job.
    2005-03-25 11:01 PM
    in reply to: #134337

Atlanta
    great!  I printed that article for my wife earlier in the week and she was hurt...that I said try this before you buy some video with a money back guarantee.
    2005-03-26 3:56 AM
    in reply to: #134337

User image

Pro
    Los Angeles, CA
    This was sort of my first impression too, as if they knew each other and Jason had some beef with him.

KendallF - 2005-03-25 7:22 PM

Let's see..a few snippets of Jason's post above...

splinter - 2005-03-25 2:19 PM
    I must respond before someone becomes injured and ruins their season.

I am a licensed Physical therapist and was first offended...

following his attack on physical therapists, he fails to instruct...

Some of these exercises are rather difficult and could result in injury...

FYI: the initials or alphabet soup behind Mr. Escalante's name infer....

I believe that the majority of the individuals on this site are looking for real advice from people with experience and training. I do not belive any articles written by this individual should find their way onto this site again.

Respectfully,
    Jason Spencer,MPT

Jason,

If you were working anywhere near me, your post above would make me run, not walk, the other way. If you really meant to come off as a nitpicking, condescending know-it-all, you've done a fine job.
    2005-03-27 11:38 PM

User image

New user

La Verne
    Greetings. A few comments regarding Mr. Spencer’s views on the core strength article. I made no assumption about or attack on physical therapy, I merely made an observation from my experiences. In reading the article now, I should have let it read as it did originally, “Often times in physical therapy…” To view my comments as an attack is ridiculous. Along with being a triathlon coach, I am also part owner of two successful physical therapy facilities and one gym. Health, fitness, and well being are not only hobbies, but my livelihood. Why would I want to compromise myself, my associates, or those exposed to my work?

Any training article should be viewed with care and adapted according to your season and current level of activity. The exercises presented here do not put anyone in any more danger than any other inappropriately followed program. In addition to the website’s medical warning, I too note “Begin the program conservatively; it is better to realize you could have gone harder…” The exercises progress from easier to more challenging exercises. Mr. Spencer does provide good advice regarding what I will call the core warm up routine.

I also want to commend Mr. Spencer’s understanding of the personal training world and the weekend certifications that are available. I do not limit myself to one of those, nor do I work with/hire anybody who does. In his selective quotes, Mr. Spencer fails to mention my Master’s Degree. And please sir, I do not “infer” anything about my certifications, education nor experience. For those who are interested please view the following links:

-Manny Escalante’s bio: http://www.cruciblefitness.com/coaching/coaches/manny/index.htm
    -Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) info: http://www.nata.org/publicinformation/files/FactsaboutATCS.pdf
    -Personal Trainer American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org

The letters behind the name give an idea of my background, akin to starting a sentence with “I am a Licensed Physical Therapist…”

Mr. Spencer wisely comments
    “We all have to make choices about the advice we follow…”, and I agree that “the majority of the individuals on this site are looking for real advice from people with experience and training.”

It is for this reason that I thank Ron and Oveda for putting together a great resource, and for allowing me to contribute. I can assure you that my advice in the core article, and in future articles, is sound. Crucible Fitness prides itself in education, and we look forward to sharing our experiences.

Mr. Spencer, et al. may contact me directly at [email protected], or at World Gym West Covina 626.859.2050.

Stay Healthy. Train Smart.

Yours in Health,
    Manny E.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article: Core strength training for triathletes Rss Feed