Disney
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 24s
Overall Rank = 4016/6150
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 635/889
Pre-race routine:

Set 4 alarms for 4:30, set up clothes, shoes, HRM, watch, bib number and went to bed around 9:00 which would be more like 10:00 because of the time change that night. Woke up at 4:30 and wanted to go back to bed. I was so afraid I wouldn't make it past a mile or wouldn't finish. DH encouraged me (he's wonderful) and I got up, got dressed, had a peanut butter sandwich, packed up and headed out the door close to 5:30. Pretty cold so I was glad we bought sweatshirts the night before. There were no cars as we drove to EPCOT so DH was sure we would be sitting there and waiting for hours like the last race we did at Disney. Not so, we got to the EPCOT parking booths and traffic pretty much stopped. Luckily we were in the warm car and 20 minutes later we were parked and headed to the port-a-potties. No line since everyone had already started walking to the start.
Event warmup:

Headed to the starting line around 6:30. It was a short walk to the next set of port-a-potties so we stopped to see if it was a long line. WOW! Everyone was waiting in line. We decided we were all set and kept walking to the start. Got to our corral, corral C, yep I'm slow. We could barely see the start from where we were standing. Took two puffs of inhaler 15 minutes before 7:00. After 15 minutes we heard cheering and a few minutes later we all started to head to the start, shuffling along. It took us 14 minutes to get across the starting line.
Run
  • 2h 50m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half marathon, so I was very nervous. Luckily it was a fun , mostly womens run so that made it better. I ran the race with my darling husband because none of my girl friends think they are tough enough, they are wrong, but I could not convince them otherwise. So, yes my Prince ran the Princess race with me. I was surprised that there were quite a few other guys running with their princess too. Mile 1 went awesome, so much adrenaline, but I didn't push myself because I didn't know how much I could take. An 11 minute mile the first mile. I finally started to warm up a bit so I took of my sweatshirt and threw it on the side. Hopefully they donate those. Right after mile 1 I started having to pee really bad. I was hurting so I said screw it and did what many of the other women were doing and ran down the hill to the bushes. 2 minutes later my DH and I were running back out of the trees ready to go. Thank goodness because all the porta potties at the next stop were packed. Of course, that wasn't my last visit. Mile 3-5 went quickly. Drank at every drink stop alternating between water and powerade. Mile 5 I was lucky enough to find porta pottie across the median at the mile 10 stop, and yes a couple people were already at mile 10 when I was at mile 5. :-( Anyways, no line and we were back on the course in 2 minutes. A mile later at mile 6, heading to Disney, the inside of my right arch started to rub. I just thought, crap, a blister. These shoes are a year old and I love them. They really don't have a ton of miles on them so I didn't think I was in the market for a new pair. Although it could have been that I've never gone that distance before. I was also told that they are not made for distance running. They are zoots. I don't know, but that part stunk. Anyways, I just kept ignoring it and trying to run differently to stop the rubbing, no luck. Running through magic Kingdom was awesome! It was my second time and it was still the best part. As we left Magic Kingom around mile 8 I started to drag so DH recommended the Luna moons I was carrying. They helped so much. Took one every once in a while and kept drinking at every stop. All along the way they had characters to stop and take pictures, but I didn't want to be the last person coming in at the end so I skipped most of them. Finally around mile 9 I saw a short line and stopped to take a pic with Aladdin, Jasmine, and Abu. Thank goodness because it was my only character pic. Hopefully I will have more time for those next year. Anyways, I think around mile 10 they handed out gu. Never had it before so I was a little nervous, but I would take anything at that point if it would give me more energy. First they said chocolate something and I quickly ran away from them, chocolate gu...eww! So I figured oh well, no gu, but someone yelled out strawberry so I grabbed it. It wasn't to bad once you swallowed it and it did the job. Got some more energy and kept plugging along. When we went up the hill to mile 11 I was able to see down the road at all the people still coming behind me and I couldn't see the end of the line. That was when I finally realized I was not at the end of the pack and those guys on bikes with the little flags were not going to get me! This made me pick up speed a little bit. The hills were quite annoying because they were slanted sideways, which made it hard to run with a massive blister. But I made it and mile 11 and 12 I just drug myself to EPCOT, no walking allowed! Finally we reached EPCOT and the end was in sight! I started to get choked up (yes I am emotional). I had to stop for a second and use the inhaler because trying not to cry and running was making it hard to breathe. We made it through EPCOT and I was so overwhelmed it was hard to keep pushing myself. We stopped for a quick pic by the mile 13 sign (I look so tired in the picture) and we grabbed hands and ran to the finish line holding hands. The only thing that got me through this race was a whole lot of prayer. God truly provides and he is the reason I was able to cross that finish line. Every time it got hard I just reminded myself that Jesus went through so many hard things and he would help me through this. I know there were other women praying in that race and I was praying for them. So thank God for my finishers medal :-) and completing something that I never ever thought I would be able to do.
What would you do differently?:

Train more
Post race
Warm down:

Ran across the finish line, grabbed two powerades and stood in line for 10-15 minutes waiting for our picture. No room to really stretch so everything got really tight. Walked over and got a banana and a muffin and inhaled that. Stood in line for some more pictures for about 10 minutes. We didn't have any friends to meet and no money with us for a massage so we headed to the car and got bak to the hotel right before the started cleaning it and showered. Thank goodness, because we had 8 hours in the car ahead of us. That day, the next two days, and who knows for how long I have been very sore and it's hard to even walk...Yea I think I pushed myself a little too much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training. I had never run more then 5 miles and that was on a treadmill. I had never run more then 4 miles outside and mot of that was walking! It's amazing I made it across the finish line. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Event comments:

Best race because it was my first!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:50:24 | 13.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 635/889
Overall: 4016/6150
Performance:
HR stayed around 170-180 every time I seemed to look at it.
Course: <very detailed> Fun course, started near EPCOT parking lot, headed down the road to the race car track, around the track, through the TTC parking lot, down World drive, under the water bridge, in front of Contemporary, through back entrance of magic kingdom by space mountain, into Magic Kingdom, down main street, right to tomorrowland, around the teacups, through fantasyland, through the castle! (they played the trumpets right as we went under), to the right to frontierland, left by pecos bill headed towards adventureland, turned right out of the park by the area that the afternoon parade waits to start, down the road to grand floridian and polynesian, past the car care center and back toward EPCOT, entered EPCOT on the right side by the information center, ran by spaceship earth down to the entrance of the world showcase, turned around, back down the other side of spaceship earth, exited EPCOT by the lockers, drug myself to the EPCOT parking lot for a great finish! :-)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes