Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-03-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2015072

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: I hate cycling

I'm so happy you had a very positive experience!!!

The group sounds perfect, welcoming of newbies and a real plus for getting folks to love cycling.

Happy bums helps as well!

Congratulations on being persistent and finding a group that works for you.

2009-03-14 9:05 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Very cool that you found the issues and made lots of progress in a bike group.  Awesome to find love fot the sport too  
2009-03-14 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Yay!!!! Cycling is so much fun. Glad you found some joy

Pam
2009-03-15 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

STeve, I will start and I Hate Swimming thread right along with you. That's my challenge too.

Good that you have a strong core. That is a huge help on the bike. Sounds like you need to just keep practicing clipping in and out. You may want to consider loosening your cleats. Just keep loosening until you barely have to move your foot to get out. Then just pick a really big empty parking lot or a super low traffic street and practice getting in and out of the cleats. Stop. start. stop start. When you feel good, tighten them up just a little and get used to that.

Cleats are kinda like bindings on skis. A beginner needs to be able to get out of them - so kinda loose (not so loose you just fall out) but a ski racer must have them super tight to keep the skis on during those super fast hard turns. Same with your cleats. Once you get used to them and are confident that you can get in and out, then by that time you'll probably also be faster and stronger and will need to have them a bit tighter so that you can stand up and pedal hard, or put some leg into the flats or whatever without accidentally unclipping.

Weights or no weights is definitely a hot topic and endlessly debated. For me, weights and probably more importantly my trainer, are indispensible. I am dong more short distance races this year, mostly cycling, but tris and running too. I need some hill-climbing strength and some speed bursts. My trainer has me doing various types of squats, core work, and also some upper body work to address a shoulder issue.

Personally, I like the strength that is the side benefit, and I have nice back and shoulder muscle definition that I didn't have before. Other people may be able to accomplish their racing and tri goals without the weights. It also depends on what you have time for. For me weights are great and my trainer keeps me from getting hurt.   

No doubt someone will have the opposite opinion and say weight training is un-necessary - which may be totally true for them. Your mileage may vary.

2009-03-15 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2015921

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
QueenZipp - 2009-03-13 9:31 AM

Most folks hate one part of the tri...usually running or swimming.  I hated biking....now I enjoy it but it's still not my preference to go cycling.

Pretty much sums up my experience. Actually, I liked biking just fine (bike commuted three days a week to my last job, so I obviously didn't "hate" cycling), but really found the time, maintenance, and expense of serious training on the bike to be just not as enjoyable as running or swimming.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I stick with triathlon 'cuz I have a running and swimming background and barely enough disposable income to own a light enough bike to be competitive in my AG (at least at the sprint and Oly distances), so there's no reason I shouldn't stick with it, even though I feel like cycling is a chore. This thread makes me a little curious, frankly: I'll have to go back and read some of the numerous threads here about not liking running/struggling with running and have a look to see how often the runners on this board suggest that people reconsider their involvement in tri's because they dislike running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate cycling Rss Feed  

of 4