General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for a new swimmer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-14 12:56 AM

User image

On your right
Subject: Advice needed for a new swimmer

I've just started getting into training for a race this summer, and the swimming is where I need the most technical work, like most beginners, I imagine.  I just bought my copy of TI, and was also given a gift certificate for a few months with a swim coach.  My question is, would I benefit more from waiting a bit to go to the coach so I can practice the basic lessons from TI, or jump right into the coaching without the TI basic skills?

My gut tells me to take time and get some of the basic principles of balance and such down first.  But my gut is also huge and screaming for junk-food.  So I try not to listen to it very often.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be helpful feedback.

2009-03-14 1:07 AM
in reply to: #2017287

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Advice needed for a new swimmer
I haven't done the coaching thing.. so my advice is limited..

I have read the TI book.. my swimming has improved greatly... If you do the drills that in the book.. i don't think you will form really bad uncorrectable habits.. Finding your buoyancy point in the water is not easy.. so those drills will keep you occupied for a while.. try to apply some of the things that are emphasized in the book.. changing your shape and swimming long(gliding).. make sure you mention that to your coach... so he/she will have an idea where you swimming wise.

don't wait to get in the water... before you know it your first race will be upon you and you will not be prepared, because you didn't take advantage of time..

when you are swimming watch others swim.. it sometimes helps you understand the principles..

just my opinion
2009-03-14 1:23 AM

User image

On your right

Yeah, I have been in the pool swimming since I decided to do a tri.  And I've improved since I started.  The first time I had trouble with 25 yards, but in 10 days I'm up to 100 relatively easily.  But I don't want to push for fear of having form break down.

My biggest concern would be that I would be wasting the money for the coaching if I don't have things like buoyancy point and better balance first. 

But then again, a set of eyes from the deck might be a great help for finding those more quickly, which would then get me to really "swimming" instead of thrashing sooner.

2009-03-14 1:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Being able to see a coach from the beginning is a phenomenal gift. I would get to them asap  because swimming is SO much technique based.. they can make sure you start wih absolutely no bad habits - this will help you heaps in the long run.

I would see if you can space the sessions out - see the coach once....get from them the drills you need to work on and theworkouts you need to do.. then go back maybe 2-4 (or 4-6 depending on where you are at) weeks later and get an update....

The thing with drills from a book it is easy to do them wrong without some on the spot advice... especially if you have never been a swimmer and do not know what they are meant to feel like..  even if you get the basic concept right, if you have no feel for the water and cannot actually SEE what you are doing then ow do you tell if your body position is correct? Your hips in the right position? Your legs sinking? Your kick inefficient and slowing you down etc?

Best of luck with your swimming - its great you have the opportunity to start correctly from the vry beginning

2009-03-14 2:12 AM

User image

On your right

I couldn't just see the coach here and there.  It's through my gym, and it's not a one on one thing.  So the price is per month, and I have enough for 2 months of coaching.  The classes are rather small, one only seems to have 4 or so people in it.  But there's no way I could do a few, then not pay for a while, then do a few more.

Thanks for the input though.

2009-03-14 2:21 AM
in reply to: #2017294

User image

Champion
Sydney
Chaderbox - 2009-03-14 6:12 PM

I couldn't just see the coach here and there.  It's through my gym, and it's not a one on one thing.  So the price is per month, and I have enough for 2 months of coaching.  The classes are rather small, one only seems to have 4 or so people in it.  But there's no way I could do a few, then not pay for a while, then do a few more.

Thanks for the input though.

Two whole months of coaching? Excellent!

Id still say start as soon as you can - in the 8 weeks if you stick with it and do your homework etc (ie swim about 3 times per week on average) you will come out of it not recognising yourself swim wise...

All the original thoughts I had about you needing help learning feel for the water and body position  is still the same so I would get in there and learn from an expert right away.

If there isonly 4 people in the class you will get lots of one on one advice which will put you on to good swim habits and technique... including doing the right drills for you correctly!

Fantastic present! Enjoy!

2009-03-14 3:09 AM

User image

On your right

Yeah, it really is a great present.  Mums are good for things like that.  Even when you're 30, they still hook you up.

I think that how the coaching is set up through the gym, is that they guy has a total of 8 or 9 classes a week, a few early AM ones, a few evening ones, and a couple weekend ones.  I'm not sure if it's $50 a month and you can go to as many as you want, or you just pick a morning group or an evening group.  If it's as many as you want, you can bet I'll swim 2x a day, (early AM and evening) and then get another workout in mid morning.  I can't totally ignore the bike and running for 2 months, but extra swims won't hurt at all, I feel.

2009-03-14 3:12 AM
in reply to: #2017299

User image

Champion
Sydney
Chaderbox - 2009-03-14 7:09 PM

Yeah, it really is a great present.  Mums are good for things like that.  Even when you're 30, they still hook you up.

I think that how the coaching is set up through the gym, is that they guy has a total of 8 or 9 classes a week, a few early AM ones, a few evening ones, and a couple weekend ones.  I'm not sure if it's $50 a month and you can go to as many as you want, or you just pick a morning group or an evening group.  If it's as many as you want, you can bet I'll swim 2x a day, (early AM and evening) and then get another workout in mid morning.  I can't totally ignore the bike and running for 2 months, but extra swims won't hurt at all, I feel.

If its your weakness then yeah - a focus month or two will pay off heaps in thelong term...

Awesome Mum... closest mine gets to a sport gift is sports socks and sunscreen...and Im not even 30 yet

Then again she does have to post it!!! 

That set up sounds awesome Now all you have to do is swim swim swim!

2009-03-14 3:53 AM

User image

On your right

Yeah, my mum was just down visiting from NY for the week and she wanted to do something that would help me the most in my new tri obsession.  I'd been telling her that Mrs Chad didn't want to let me spend even more money just for swim lessons, so she decided to pay for a few months.  Normally she would just pay for dinner a few times when she comes to visit.  But I'm way happier cooking on the grill and having her pay for swim coaching.

And to be honest, all 3 disciplines are my weak ones.  But cycling and running are easier to fix without expert help. 

2009-03-14 4:02 AM
in reply to: #2017303

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia

x2 on getting the coach from the beginning.

The amount of time you'll save not having to iron out ingrained bad habits later on is definitely worth it!!!!!!!

2009-03-14 5:33 AM

User image

Melon Presser

No need to wait on the coaching--jump right in! I'm sure it will be quite helpful! And here's the thing--you can always do TI on your own, if you find the drills helpful.

Remember to RELAX in the water.

Good luck! 

2009-03-14 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Chaderbox - 2009-03-13 11:56 PM
My gut tells me to take time and get some of the basic principles of balance and such down first. 

That's what everybody's gut tells them.

I don't know anything about TI in particular, but in general the quicker you get swim coaching the faster you'll improve. Without someone watching you, you'll develop bad habits that will become muscle memory and be difficult to change down the road.

And, when I say "coaching", I'm not talking about someone just making up workouts for you. You need someone regularly analyzing your stroke and filming it so you can see what you're doing and why it's wrong or right.

Of course, that costs money so you have to make $ vs. improvement decisions as well. But it's my opinion that for poor swimmers who want to be competitive in Tri's, quality swim instruction is the best money they can spend with the exception of moving from a mountain/hybrid bike to a road/tri which is just a no brainer.

Swimming with good technique makes you faster but more importantly should use very little energy in a race.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for a new swimmer Rss Feed