General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Run for the Helmet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Run for the Helmet - RunOther

View Member's Race Log
Cottleville, Missouri
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had the normal PB&J on toast for breakfast along with some Gatorade then headed over to the race.
Event warmup:

Not much - a little walking around, hit the port-o-potty and waited for the start.
Run
  • 49m 11s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great time. It was a little cool at the beginning but the sun was out so I warmed up pretty quick. I lined up about mid-pack (lots of walkers in this and I wanted to try to get ahead of them). I was kind of surprised at the turnout since this was the first year for this run and it really wasn't heavily promoted. St Louis was also having their St Patrick's day run this morning, so I thought that might take away from the turnout but it didn't seem to.

I went into this race with 2 goals - to not walk and to finish in under 50 minutes. I met one goal. I started out OK, but the hill right around the first mile marker got the better of me. I don't usually have to walk that early in a race so I figured it wasn't going to be a good day. Fortuntately, it was my only problem. Once I got past that, I settled into a nice pace and did well through the rest of the race.

As I was coming in to the finish, I could see the clock and was surprised that it said 48:xx. I had worn my Garmin but never looked at it during the race. At that point I knew I was going to at least make my time goal. I know 50 min probably seems slow to all of people but for someone who normally runs 12-12:30 min/miles, finishing in under 50 mins is a major accomplishment! And I did it!
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need to work on hill training!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a couple of girl scout cookies and a fruit smoothie (made from banana, strawberry, and papaya - it was good!), then walked the 1/2 mile back to my car and headed to the gym for my yoga class.

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:11 | 04.3 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Some flat spots but mostly rolling hills with one fairly steep hill at about the 1 mile mark.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-14 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: St. Patrick's Day Run for the Helmet

2009-03-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2017885

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: St. Patrick's Day Run for the Helmet

Congratulations on your great accomplishment!  Who knows, if you hadn't saved your legs by walking some of the hill, you may not have been able to keep the great pace for the rest of the race

Nicely done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Run for the Helmet Rss Feed