General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for a Sprint/Olympic Distance triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-15 1:10 AM

User image

Hoffman Estates, IL
Subject: How long to train for a Sprint/Olympic Distance triathlon

Hey guys, I was wondering, how long do you think it would take a newcomer to train for a Sprint or Olympic Distance triathlon?  I just want to FINISH, and get some experience, I really don't care about winning at this point

Thanks!

2009-03-15 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2018630

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: How long to train for a Sprint/Olympic Distance triathlon

Hi! Welcome to BT and triathlon.

If you have no athletic experience whatsoever, and are truly coming off the couch, you should probably follow one of the plans that gets you into it gradually--like Michael Pates's 22-week plan on this site.

If you are able to swim a bit, bike a bit and run (or even walk) a bit, there are beginner plans starting from 10 weeks (on www.trinewbies.com) or 13 weeks here. Most triathlons have time limits for you to finish the swim and bike (or they won't let you continue) so you should look into those for the specific triathlons you are thinking of doing.

The commitment even to finish an Olympic-distance tri, however, is significantly more. If you're a total beginner, you're looking at more like 16 weeks, for starters. If you already have some experience in the sports, perhaps a little less just to finish.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you need!

2009-03-15 6:58 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Do you have any background in swimming, biking, or running?  Are you generally fit? A lot of "how long will it take to train for x?" depends on your starting point !

Even though sprint/ Oly distances are shorter than HIM and IM distances, they are still long races!  A fast sprint can still be 1+ hours.

2009-03-15 7:47 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
depends, how fit or unfit you currently are and how much time do you have? Although not ideal, a relative trained individual could finish either with minimum training (less than 5 hrs a week) while an untrained one might need more than that.
2009-03-15 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Hi, I'm training for my first too (sprint).  I was in decent general shape (not Tri specific shape), more weights and random cardio 4 or 5 days a week.

From my training experience (10 weeks in so far), I'd say if you can swim, you can probably finish a sprint pretty easily (not to say you will do well ).  I know if I tried the sprint 8 weeks ago, the swim would have killed me and I probably would have had to walk it in on the run due to inefficient technique.  In general I think anyone who is fairly athletic can gut out a 15 mile bike and 3 mile run, but the swim is foreign to alot of people.  Spend 4-6 weeks swimming a 3 times a week and I think your fine (if the premise of being in decent general shape overall holds true).

It's only March 15, so it is really early in the season.  I'd say target July or after to give yourself a more enjoyable experience and give adequate prep time.

...just perspective from someone 10 weeks or so into training.  My first isn't til 6/7, but that is more out of convenience and I'd probably like to do one in May if I could.

Edited by acumenjay 2009-03-15 8:25 AM
2009-03-15 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I would suggest trying a sprint race first - as long as you can swim the distance, you will certainly finish the race (heck, you can probably walk 3 miles right now, so the last leg is pretty much a given).  Like everyone else said, a lot depends on your current level of overall fitness and activity.  If you are coming to tri's from another discipline, I would suggest focusing your energy on the other two areas. 

Most people are the most spooked about OWS, so depending on your experience, you may want to find a pool swim or try to get an OWS or two in before the big day.  Being the first event, the odds are you will be most anxious overall at that point anyway.  Depending on the bike course, you may need to practice riding hills.  If it's a fairly flat course, then just be able to ride that distance with some reserve.

The free training plans here on BT are great.  And the people here are very friendly and helpful, so feel free to ask questions/express fears/b!tch and complain. Welcome to BT!

2009-03-15 5:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
If you know how to swim and have a bike to ride you can finish a sprint tomorrow. Finishing a sprint distance triathlon is way over rated with the generous time cut-offs. Just take your time and have fun while doing it.
Training to race one is a different matter.
2009-03-15 8:17 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA

I did my first Sprint this past October at Lake Lanier, GA.  I was a competitive swimmer growing up and grew up riding a bike.  I was never a "runner" by any means, but I was pretty active through HS and College.  Then, couch-time for 14 years.  Gained a lot of weight and just got really out of shape (cardio, endurance, etc.)  I was up to 246 pounds (I'm only 5'7) so I decided to make some changes.  Three months before the Sprint I started to eat better and exercise.  I swam about 1-2 times a week, ran/walked 2 times a week and rode the bike maybe 1 time per week.  I only logged 110 miles on the bike before the triathlon (and I hadn't ridden a bike in literally 14 years prior).  I was down to 215 pounds for the race, but unfortunately I wound up with patellar tendonitis 1 month before the race and couldn't run for the entire month leading up to the race.  Walking up and down stairs was painful, so even on the bike, I had to be somewhat cautious.  I was not looking to "race" the tri, just finish -- hopefully sub 1:30 was the original goal.  Had to modify that since I knew I might have to walk a lot of the 5K, so I reset goal at 1:45.  I went way too fast on the swim and had to walk to T1, and lost my chain three times on the bike, and walked at least half the 5K, but still wound up 1:39, which was still slow, but I was happy to finish and now I'm hooked.  I'm going to try an OLY in Jekyll Island, GA on May 16th, so we'll see how that goes. 

Bottom line, you can complete the race with pretty minimal training if you have some ability on the swim and bike.  You can walk/run the "run" portion and still finish the race.  As someone stated before, if swimming is a weak area, that poses an entirely different challenge for the race.

Not that it's worth much, but just my 2 cents.

Duane

Edited by Gunky 2009-03-15 8:21 PM
2009-03-15 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

If you are happy to truly just enjoy the experience and achievement of just finishing then I'd say around 12 weeks would be about the time to prepare so you feel confident to finish a Sprint.  Definitely start with a sprint - just to get experience of things like transitions and running off the bike.  However I would make the proviso that you should be able to swim at least a bit.  There are often people in sprint races that are doing it for sheer fun (not worrying about time) and a walk/ jog strategy for the run part is perfectly acceptable

Have fun

Jackie

2009-03-15 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI

I was a competitive water skier for 6 yrs before training for my first tri. (I was 36). Had only been runnning a couple times a week for a few months, never more than 5 miles. Swam with a life jacket to the boat after dropping skiing.(yes I could swim, but not long cont. swims) and biked a bit recreationally, 10 miles or so every couple of weeks. (not an athlete in High School or College at all)

I trained for my first in 6 weeks, did ok, and was hooked. (I did train fairly hard, but not as structured as now, 12 yrs later).

good luck!!

2009-03-15 11:12 PM

User image

Hoffman Estates, IL
Thank you all VERY much for your input, it is VERY much appreciated!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for a Sprint/Olympic Distance triathlon Rss Feed