General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 14s
Overall Rank = last/600
Age Group = clydes
Age Group Rank = 25/43
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:30am, Just laid there listening to the rain, while saying to myself, there is no way I'm racing in this cold, crappy weather today, Rolled out of bed just before 4, looked at the pile of cold weather clothes that I had laying there by my bag, went and grabbed more clothes to throw into the bag, tossed in a garage bag or two in hopes that it help keep things dry. Rationalized that the weather might be sunny and warmer at the race site (ha!).
My stomach didn't feel to good from my pre race meal up at Roma's which is odd since I love eating there, great food, felt a little bloated and almost like a strained stomach muscle, then noticed that I didnt' have any food at the house, since I forgot to get any.. Stopped at 7-11 for a chocolate milk, power bar and monster drink as my morning meal... I could tell that If I was eating this crappy before a race that I just really wasn't loving the weather for race day
Event warmup:

Got to the race site just before 5:30 with transition opening at 5:45, parked at tom thumb and stood in front of their door for 2-3 minutes without it opening,, then it hit me in a rare stroke of genius that they must be closed,, a quick look at the nice sign in large letters 18inches to the left of my nose confirmed that they open at 6. Sat in the car with the heater on, went over to transition with maybe 8-10 other early people, got my rack space, decided that I'm not even going to bother taking stuff out of my bag to keep it dry, didn't put the shoes on the bikes thinking I would keep my feet dryer by just putting the on the and doing a nice easy walk to the mount line. Went back to the car cranked the heater for a good 45 min to get warmed up. Oh did get to meet Michael and Morgan as I was walking back to the car.
After sitting in the car for a bit, seeing everyone else pull in get their gear to head over while looking up at the sky, I figured that the swim building would be open, Sorry to everyone there but I really wasnt' going to walk around outside looking for people,, I just went inside to the pool, did a couple laps to make sure I could still swim, put my sweats back on, found Karen, Marcy and Steve [ big smile :) ] talked with them a bit, saw Tim and Sabrina also... Mostly up to the point I was swimming I was thinking what and how much clothing to put on in transition
Swim
  • 05m 3s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Why is it for pool swims based on your race number that people with high numbers crowd the front,,, then use the excuse it will clear up later,, it would be corkin clear now if you went farther back in the line,,, Idiots,,

I wanted to take it a bit easy the first 50 then build,, before the end first 100 I had caught up to the guy in front of me, passed him at the wall, in that length passed about 3 more people pretty easily, I could feel someone on my feet at the end of the 200, so I slowed to let him pass at the wall in hopes I could draft off him, but when I turned at the wall somehow I didnt' angle enough and came up hitting the lane line which stopped me, killing my momentum, started to push a little too hard to catchup to that guy to draft, but he was pretty far up ahead. so that last 100 was me either trying to keep a stroke count in my head or thinking how many shirts to wearing vs a windbreaker
What would you do differently?:

I put down my expected time of 5:09 and did a 5:03 so I'm happy about that, I thought when I got out of the water I was a bit slower but oh well.
I just couldnt' get a good push off the walls today, nor was I getting a good streamline position. I thought i did pretty decent by keeping my stroke length down somewhat, but I just need more swimming,
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

I basically did a very slow jog, quick walk to the timing mats, got my bag grabbed on of the many towels I packed to dry my feet and put my thermal snowboarding socks in an attempt to keep them warm/dry. then dried off some more, threw some running sweatpants on, tri top, long sleeve drifit then a warm jacket/windbreaker, at the last second I remember my gloves, then did a nice easy slow walk to the mount line,,Kevin from DA was joking with me about my walking speed. Then I thought the guy was saying "you have to ask me to mount the bike" he was saying go past me to mount your bike,, anyway I actually stopped to ask him..

bring a portable generator and heater, dome the city and heat it,,
Bike
  • 47m 11s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 16.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I just sucked today,,, I should have know when I couldn't get a decent push off the walls swimming that my legs just were not there,, I was really thinking I'd be about ten minutes faster, than what I was. I was excited since I was racing with a power meter for the first time, but I don't think today is a good day to judge how well I did. after the quick u-turn going up davis, My watts were at 220-230 and I was going 12mph,,, I dont think there was that much of a wind, since this is my first time riding outside with a PM I thought maybe there is some magical difference in watts inside vs outside [not likely] but I just could never get a good cadence going, right gear, get comfortable in aero for more than 5 min. by the time my 2nd lap hit I was pretty cold, my legs and feet were soaked I was mentally beat. I thought I should have went extra slow on that first lap so one lap looked like two.. then realized how silly that would be, My avg power for the ride was 216, which I would think would be faster than what I avg, but who knows. I'll look at the files this afternoon

oh I'm so used to going a flying dismount that when I decided I'd just keep my shoes on, and not run in my socks on the wet ground that I couldn't remember how to dismount regularly.. so I nearly piled it trying to get off,, my sweats catching on the seat didn't help either

ride a motorcycle, not get out of the pool, stayed in my car, Just cheered for others, slept in
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I'm amazed this is under 3 min,,let alone under 2.. I don't remember running with the bike I thought i walked,, since I had huge socks on, I had my shoes untied, so I had to get the feet in and lace up each shoe, decide if I was going with a basball cap, or stocking cap, and if I wanted to switch gloves

baseball slid into people coming out of T1 to put on a show
Run
  • 32m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

ok by now I can't feel my feet, I feel miserable, and I discovered running while my feet are numb is actually a bit difficult, I ran pretty steady until the turnaround though at a nice very easy pace, buy just after the turn around I noticed that I keep veering to the right while running for no reason,, my left calf was acting like it might cramp up and my right foot/heel started to bother me.. I took a few walk breaks for those issue's to see if that helped but not really, I had no desire to make any attempt at a speedy finish..
Post race
Warm down:

I forgot to eat pancakes, but Steve mentioned that they were going to a great bagel place so I knew I'd be eating soon anyway.. I picked up this wetsuit from Aaron that i'm selling real cheap, hung out a bit to talk with people but we all agreed that the weather was cold, wet and miserable

What limited your ability to perform faster:

took a break from training for the last 10 days or so, the weather, lack of any nutrition before race,, I actually didn't even have any water or anything during the race either..

Event comments:

Even with the poor conditions, the RD keep his jokes and running monologue up which I thought was good,, there were plenty of volunteers and everything went well.. I'm not sure about the new company doing the timing chips though, I heard there were some issues's

Last updated: 2009-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:03 | 328 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/43
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Good
looked at my watch only to see my HR at 188, well over my running LT,, even more incredible I wasn't wearing a HR monitor so I found out who's I was reading and joked out with the lady with the hamster like heart beat
Suit: tri shorts
Course: nice wide 9 feet lanes, one way per lane, with the exception of one lady who ended up doing twice the distance
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:47:11 | 12.75 miles | 16.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/43
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: two loops, wet roads, puddles
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:18 | 03.11 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/43
Performance:
Course: out and back course on running trail with lots of turns
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-15 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon

2009-03-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2018843

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon
I felt you pain - I looked at my wife and said I can't believe people are doing a Tri in this S$$$%&t - great job finishing, with without a slide finish.
2009-03-15 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas

I'm glad you stuck it out and started and finished the race.  It's funny cause I had the same thought about the one loop on the bike and dismissed it pretty quickly.  I wonder how many other people had that thought.  Laughing  After this race the next one should be a piece of cake (mentally).  Like I told Michael yesterday, there will probably not be too many races with worse conditions.  Great job.

2009-03-15 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
good race!
2009-03-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2018939

Champion
South Jersey
Sorry the race didn't go as planned. If you felt the power numbers were off, check to make sure the torque is zeroed. Anyway, great job getting out there and racing on such a crappy day. I hope you enjoyed the warm, dry bagel place afterwards .
2009-03-15 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
good to see you yesterday.  Im not sure how you all did it.  I was cold spectating!

2009-03-15 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
I felt your pain... way to stick it out with the rest of us crazy folks. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my speed up on the bike either. I think it had to do with the fact that my legs started turning red and going numb.
2009-03-16 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
you're tougher than i, there sir. i would've bailed. nicely done!!
2009-03-16 7:09 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Sounds like a decent race on a crappy day.  Good one Gaarryy.
2009-03-16 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

It's that mental toughness that really makes us triathletes.

My first thought on your bike is: was something rubbing that you didn't realize?  Those numbers certainly aren't what I've seen from your training even if you haven't been riding outside, your training being off lately and the crappy weather.

I have no idea how you guys swim that fast......Awesome.

2009-03-16 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

You are 'hard core' to race in those conditions.  Great job.  Warmed up yet? 

2009-03-16 11:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Dude! You are a rock star.
2009-03-17 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Good job racing in those pitiful conditions!  And a very nice swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed