Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
Total Time = 46m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Hung around the house. Had a couple of bananas because was feeling crampy.
Had a chicken burger 2 hours before the race.
Was going to go to the race site early to volunteer, but just didn't feel like it. As it turned out, I got there late everyone was already set up. Got body marked. #39
I didn't stress. Very methodical. I went right to the pool transition. found a chair. Put down my stuff put the rest of the stuff in a locker that I had obtained the key for earlier in the day (always thinking eh?) and I was ready!
Listened to the rules spiel, did 100m warm up swim in the 50m length pool. Talked to some people. Kissed my wife, and several other people who looked slighted when I didn't offer to kiss them initially and then lined up for the race.

Event warmup:

Stretched my arms a bit. Did 100m in the pool and was ready to go.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 16m 1s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim after the start. Got held up too many times. Few opportunities to pass except at bulkheads. Had to breast stroke a few times as my face got a little too close to people's feet. was passed by two people, and I repassed them. Passed about 7 others.
Probably should have started a little earlier. Had 17min as my time. Finished in 16. Could have done 15 if I really pushed, but I would not have been comfortable at all. Have to work on that.
Final analysis is I am not a sprinter...Although my 25m sprint rocks!
Coach Jason was pleased with my performance.
Passed Milos on the last 25 metres where there was no swimmers coming towards me.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe put my estimated time in as 15:30 and push myself. Be a little more aggressive in the passing. Have better push off on the bulkhead.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Keep in mind that this was swim/run
Sat down. Put gel flask into my teeth, put asthma inhaler in pants pouch - didn't need it! Dried feet, put socks on. Shoes on finish off gel flask (one gel!) and took off. Milos (IM world champion who I had passed in the water, passed me on the transition. He didn't put socks on.
I took my time. I'm happy with it!

Not much. Maybe move just a little more quickly. Don't bother with the Inhaler? It has become a crutch? Otherwise a perfect transition.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 30s  min/km
Comments:

Felt good during the run. Got passed by lots of people I could normally keep up with, but I didn't really feel like keeping up. Picked my pace and stuck to it.
Had some gas stuck in my throat...I couldn't burp it out. I was worried about upchucking...slowed down a little to clear it up...It never really resolved.
First Wife counted laps. I'm sure I did one extra lap! There was some confusion and the frustration messed with my head a little.
I'm sure I did one extra lap. :(.

3/4 through the run and soccer ball popped onto the running track from the inner cell where there were other things going on. I chased it and kicked it out of the way. I should have earned bonus points for that. Took me a lap to get my heart rate down!!!

Finished very strong and very fast.

Not much. Maybe stop for water? Maybe go a little faster? But I was happy with my performance.
Shoes got a little wet - didn't dry anything but my toes and feet and all the water dripped down
Post race
Warm down:

Not muck. Talked. Hugged first wife (I was so happy she was there) Had a shower. Won a race belt. Had a bagel with chicken salad and water and some sweeties. Where was the coffee?
Had a shower. Put on my Sugoi compression socks. I just love those things. Put on some other clothes too.

Stretching? Ooops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just didn't have the desire to go any faster. Ran the race I wanted to. Swam really well. I'm very happy with these results.

Event comments:

Third year I've done this. I think this is my best performance to date, although the time is kinda strange...I think I did an extra lap.
I am most impressed with my swim and ecstatic that, even though I arrived late, I kept my composure and just did what I had to do. No undo stress. I was in charge of my self at this race!
Personal best by seconds!

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:16:01 | 750 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Performance: Good
Started strong, then started to struggle a bit. HR began to race and I was conscious of my form degrading...hit the rope a few times with my arm...relaxed at 400m and started to cruise. What a great feeling.
Suit:
Course: Snake pattern. Start in deepend of 50m pool. swim to shallow, then same lane back to deep end, under rope and then same thing in next lane...exit pool in opposite end shallow. Did some good drafting but got held up a few times and had to breast stroke. Lost the feet of the guy I wanted to stick too (Lane W.) and didn't keep up. Should have.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  01:20
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:27:30 | 05 kms | 05m 30s  min/km
Performance: Average
Started strong and well, but kept aware of RPE and slowed it down a bit, to not explode. Heart was racing, but controllably. 200 m circular indoor track (where I practice) averaged 1:05 per lap. Last lap was 58sec.
Course: This is my practice track. Good quality footing (Canada Western Games-spec) audience on one side. Air very very dry. Very very dry. Temperature good. Throat was absolutely parched. I wish I had had something to drink.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-15 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Splash and Sprint

2009-03-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2019188

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-16 3:52 PM

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: RE: Splash and Sprint
See, loose the hair, gain some seconds! So, do you think you did an extra lap? You'll benefit from that in August, lol.All kidding aside, nice race, good effort. When I grow up, I wanna be like you!
2009-03-16 6:04 PM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Splash and Sprint

Congratulations on the PB!

I am really amazed at the progress you made in the swimming department. It's also good to start the season with a great race. Dude, you rock, what can I say!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash and Sprint Rss Feed