Iron Head Race Productions
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 56s
Overall Rank = 98/198
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/19
Pre-race routine:

Drove across the state Friday afternoon in rain the entire way. Wifer and I went to the 1st Baptist Church for Carbo Dinner after I checked in at the Cain Center. They were awesome feeding us and giving a quick testimonial. Met some other first timers and lifers and got some good pointers. AM of--> ate a banana, Clif Bar, Water, Coffee, and 2 swigs of Pepto (just in case) before the race.
Event warmup:

Stretched while I waited in swim line. Pretty cold and wet outside, did not care to get in the pool before hand. Only 300 meter swim, my goal was to just hold my spot.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did a kick flip on the first wall and I overturned, took on water and it took me a few lengths to recover. Got passed at the wall midway. Soon after I passed a couple of swimmers at a wall and headed towards the end. Never felt comfortable, was trying to catch my breath the entire way, but my time was right around what I was shooting for.
What would you do differently?:

Swim smooth and easy from the get go. Didn't notice, but wife told me I came out sprinting and had almost caught the guy ahead me after the first lap. Probably just adrenaline being my first tri. Need to really work on my flip turns and keeping a steady pace from start to finish.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Took a long time in T1, but I was ok with it because it was cold and wet. I put on cycling pants, socks, toboggan, gloves, and long sleeve under armor.

Put flip flops next to pool exit because the dag gum parking lot was full of little pebbles that did not feel good running on with frozen feet. Hopefully next race will be warmer so I can just grab my helmet and bike and go.
Bike
  • 49m 35s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 16.70 mile/hr
Comments:

It took probably 2 miles before I actually caught my breath from the swim/transition. My old bike is great for training, but if I am going to keep doing this I will need to invest in a better set up. I passed a couple of racers and got passed by 3-4...all on Tri bikes. I went back and forth with another guy that I caught. He was riding a nice Specialized Roadie and I would pass him on the flats and downhills and then he would pass me on the climbs. I ended up ahead of him at T2. I ended up pretty disappointed with my bike, it was much slower than my goal. I really need to hit the hills.

Need to learn to love the hills. Need to get more aero going into the wind. Ride faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I wore pants on the bike so I had to slip them off and I tied my shoes and then stretched my hams a little bit. Tried to take a gel and it about made me puke so I had to swallow some water, noticed my wife taking pictures and they were playing Kid Rock so I mentioned that to her. Still was suprised it took so long. Time really goes by fast in Transitions.

Need to research shoes/laces and get a better set up there. Hopefully next race will be warm so I can just throw on my shoes and go. I will not try to take a gel and water during Transition. I can do that on the bike.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I could hardly move my legs for the first half mile. I wanted to stop so bad but one my goals was not to stop during the race. I kept going jogging at barely a walk pace and then finally caught my stride and my breath. I am not sure, but I was guess my first mile was a 10+ mile and the next 2 were mid 8's. I felt like I ran good after I caught my breath. Ran good for me anyway. I need to work on my running more than any of the other legs. I was one spot from being last my AG and I though I ran good for me so that says a lot.

Run through the wall that I hit in the first mile. Need to keep training and running some speed drills to try and improve my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

45 seconds after the race I had my breath back so I guess I did go as hard as I could have. Ate warm potatoe and warmed up inside then returned to watch others finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My endurance. Need to contine to train.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race. It was a great experience and I am looking forward to completing many more and my goal is to do an Olympic this year. I wasn't the fastest, but I was satisfied because I felt like I built a good base to improve from. Racing certainly shows you were you need to improve.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 328 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 81/198
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Indoor chaos.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:44
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:35 | 13.8 miles | 16.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 84/198
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out of park area?, down about a mile in town and onto loop. Down abour 6 miles on loop and back. Loop had some pretty good hills for this flatlander.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:26 | 03.11 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/19
Overall: 95/198
Course: Up a decent hill through park to a nice tree covered country lane. Out and back. Great run course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?