General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 5s
Overall Rank = 393/424
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Slept badly - about 5 hours. Woke up and the power was out so I didn't know what time it was. Went downstairs to check and it was 4:00 am. Never went back to sleep because I couldn't decide whether to go or not. I had told myself if it was still raining and/or wet I wouldn't go. It was still drizzling at that point and so I tried to forget about it and go back to sleep but I couldn't stop thinking of you all being there without me! My family was all up and ready to go with me so I threw my bike on the rack and we headed out.
Event warmup:

I SHOULD have got in the pool and swam a couple laps like someone else reported doing, because I never swim in a long pool unless it's for a race. I think it would have helped me in the swim. Sometimes I warm up but mostly I don't. Since I was tired and not excited about the weather, I guess I just sat around waiting to start. And it was a long wait!
Swim
  • 08m 50s
  • 328 yards
  • 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

The last time I swam in this pool was the Monster Tri and I got run over in the second fifty after which I panicked and had to go to breast stroke. This time I started out first fifty, just great. I hit the wall before I knew it and thought it would be a great swim. Then when I got to the place where I got run over I panicked again. Not bad but enough to make me go to breaststroke. I really don't know why this happens but it happens to me a lot in the swim leg. I get breathless and feel like I just can't swim freestyle. I just took it easy then and when I got my breath back I found I was stuck behind two people. I don't like to waste energy passing unless they are really slow so I just hung behind them. I passed one at the wall but the other guy just took off in front of me so I was stuck behind him for the rest of the swim. I did go back to freestyle for the last fifty and felt fine. Surprisingly my time was 15 seconds better than in the monster.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up and get a feel for the long lanes. Also try to prepare more mentally to combat panic. Probably consult with a shrink - lol!
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

I had planned on a slow transition in order to be as warm as possible on the bike, which was the part of this race I was really dreading! I got my cap off then later thought I should have just left it on to keep my head warm. I had brought a sham wow and it was great, got me pretty dry especially my feet which I was very grateful for.Pulled on capri sweats which I had picked b/c I knew they'd go on easy, and they did. Put on long sleeve mesh tee and warm up jacket, put on neck warmer and head band over my ears. Put on race belt and the lovely socks we got in out packet. Put on my bike shoes. Put on helmet and headed out. I got clipped in in record time, usually I'm half a mile out before I do - lol Then I realized to my chagrin, that I had forgotten my gloves! Still, I felt my time wasn't too bad for having done all that!

Leave on my swim cap, remember my gloves. I'd still take my time and put on enough to keep me warm. As it was I froze on the bike anyway!
Bike
  • 54m 49s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow. This bike leg was awful! That's all I can say. I knew it would be cold and it was. The worst parts were my feet and my back because she spray kept hitting me and making me cold. For a while my lower legs were stinging till they went numb. I wished at that point I'd chosen long sweats but it turned out alright. I rode the whole way with my nylon sleeves pulled over my hands and they weren't too cold. I really felt I rode well, had good energy till the end of the second loop and then the hills kind of got to me. The first loop I motored right up the hills and felt good. I think the wet roads slowed me down and the cold made me hold back on the downhills instead of sprinting. My legs and feet bothered me a fair amount in the second loop. I was really glad to get off the bike!

Probably not a whole lot other than remember my gloves. I also would have done more bike training, but overall I haven't been training much at all due to busy schedule and winter. Ugh, will definitely be more active now that Spring is here. Bring on the Cave Man!
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I never jump off my moving bike - lol I'm too old for that!
This T was pretty good actually. I just switched shoes quickly, I have yankz so my running shoes go on fast and easy. I did put my gloves on and my hands were very happy. Took off my helmet, forgot I had brought gu, but I took a drink of my water and took off.

Not anything probably, this transition was ok for me.
Run
  • 34m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering that my feet were numb and didn't completely thaw out till after I finished I think my run was ok. Not my best time at all, but then, I haven't been running much. I actually felt pretty good at least in the beginning. And as I said, it was so nice to be off the bike that any pain during the run was minimal in comparison to the horrid bike leg! I did start to have some pain on the outside of my right knee. I have had that before in a tri and so I wasn't real worried but it was bothersome and held me back a bit.

Train more of course! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Found my daughter and walked around a bit. I had brought dry clothes so I changed. My husband had gone to the car to warm up so we didn't hang out too long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being old, not training sufficiently, horrible weather conditions, lack of will to endure pain, hmmm, what else? lol

Event comments:

Too early in the season to avoid running into cold rain and wind. But nice not to have to wait so long for first tri of the year. I live in Keller so I am real familiar with the pool, bike and run courses. Love it.
If I had had to drive an hour to compete in adverse conditions I may have skipped this one...but probably not! ;)

Last updated: 2009-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:50 | 328 yards | 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/424
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 300m snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:49 | 12 miles | 13.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Nice course with a couple moderate hills at the end of the loop.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:54 | 03.11 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Performance: Average
Course: Nice, pretty flat through woods on bike trails.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes