North Carolina Azalea Festival
44F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 21s
Overall Rank = 63/326
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6, ate some toast with honey and had a cup of coffee. I had everything packed the night before, so no problems there. Got to UNCW at about 6:45, set up my stuff and went and visited my wife, who was in charge of volunteers therefore had left at least an hour before me:)
Event warmup:

My swim start was 8:30, so I jumped in the diving well and started to warm up at 8:15, and they were calling my number. Too much waiting around at this race, warm up then freeze while you wait to swim.
Swim
  • 05m 4s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really don't like a pool swim. I loose more sleep over this swim than any other in the series. I think my swim time has been within 5 seconds of 5 everytime I have done this race. I think I had a better swim than the time reflects, I had to pass a couple of people which maybe slowed me some. I felt bad for one poor guy that was just standing in the lane, not sure what was up but he was not swimming.
What would you do differently?:

I had left shoes outside to run back to T1, could not get one on which cost me about 15-20 seconds and added them onto my swim time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The mats did not work so there are no transition times, they were just added onto the bike time.
Bike
  • 31m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I had a good bike, my speed dropped below 20 only once. The rest of the time I felt good, cold but good.

I had left a fleece to put on over my tri-top on the bike, with the wind chill it was about 40 degrees. I forgot to put it on. I froze on the bike, I had my hands curled up next to my aero bars, trying to keep them warm.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 22m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Awesome run, still cold but I think this was pretty close to a PR run in a triathlon for me. Felt great the whole time, settled into a good cadence and kept it up. I really could have gone harder I think, but all in all a great run.

I could have pushed it harder, not sure how much harder but I should have found out.
Post race
Warm down:

I put on every piece of clothes that I had brought with me, my hands were so cold that I could not work the zippers. Went back up to the pool to watch some of the other tri-clubbers go off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'd say the weather slowed me down a little, but not much.

Event comments:

A great way to start the season, good mental effort in less than ideal conditions and finally my run did not let me down.

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:04 | 300 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 91/326
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, yech!! You snake under the lane ropes for 30 yards. The first lane and last lane you have to yourself, the rest of the swim you are splitting a lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:08 | 10 miles | 19.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 68/326
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Through the campus, onto Rose Ave then over to Eastwood Rd and back on Wrightsville to the college.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:10 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/38
Overall: 71/326
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the UNCW campus, on the sidewalks.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-16 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: Azalea Triathlon

2009-03-16 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2020034

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: Azalea Triathlon

Excellent job in some pretty nasty weather.

Steve

2009-03-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2020034

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: RE: Azalea Triathlon
Awesome job!!  I have only done one pool tri (my first tri).  As uncomfortable as I still am with OWS races, I still prefer that to the pool.  All of the turning around and going under ropes just seems to take forever!  Sorry you forgot to put something on for the bike - 40's are way too cold to ride in nothing but a wet tri suit!  Your paces were great though.  Congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Triathlon Rss Feed