Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

This could have been the most unlucky day of my entire life. Not the worst...just the most unlucky. Let me start at the night before the race. Figured I'd make a couple changes to my bike. One of these changes was to take off my old speedometer which was held on by a couple zip ties. I was being very careful trying not to scratch the frame, taking the cut really slow. It finally popped off and somehow I sliced the sh!t out out my middle finger. It was a nasty cut, I'm not sure if I should have gotten stitches or not. Took at least half an hour to stop bleeding.

Anyhow, on to race day. I woke up at 4:00. On the road (3 hour drive) by 4:30. I should be getting there just as registration opens. At around 5:30, stopped and got gas. I arrived to Beaufort just before 7:00 which is 10 miles from the race sight. At this point I realize that I don't know where my wallet is. I pulled over to look for it. Opened my door and searched the whole car. Nothing. Figured I must have left it at the gas station. They won't let you race without a valid ID, so I figure my day is over and I might as well go back to the gas station to try and find my wallet. Drive about 30 miles back and see that my wallet fell out of my pocket and into the compartment on the drivers side door. Pulled a quick u-turn. Should still make the race on time.

So now I'm a bit pressed for time but should still make packet pickup. I follow the directions I printed off of mapquest and as soon as I make it past Beaufort (again) I don't feel good about the directions. Theres no other cars around and no signs for Parris Island. Eventually I make a left and in front of me is this huge gate accross the road. Nobody there, no other way to go. Now I'm afraid I'm going to miss the race. Got on my blackberry and found the correct way to go. This probably cost me an additional 45 minutes.

Now theres no question I'm going to be late. But its a pool start, where each person goes 10 seconds apart. So even if I'm late, I'm hoping I can still participate. I finally make it to Parris Island and I can literally see the gate when I see the the flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Pull over. Cop writes me a ticket for 61 in a 45. Fine, I was speeding, give me the ticket. But it seemed to take forever for him to write. Partially because I knew that I was late already for the race and partially because I had to pee REALLY bad. So I got my ticket (which I won't be able to go to court for because I'll be vacation) and on my way. Park, get all my stuff and ride my bike to transition.

Of course by now, the packet pickup is long over. The first racer will start in about 10 minutes. I (luckily) found the race director and told him my situation. He knew where the race numbers were and let me get mine. I then had almost no time to set up my stuff in transition. So I threw my stuff in transition and ran to the pool. At this time I look at my hand and realize that somehow I broke open my cut from last night. Blood covering my hand. I had brought some bandaids, so I went back to transition and put one on. Back to the pool. I made it there and number 165 was starting. I was number 173. So no warm-up time but at least I made it. I swam really well. Passed 5 or 6 people and swam a pretty good time.

Quick transition. On the bike. Moving along rather well. A bit over 22mph which is fast for me. Three miles in I hit a rock in the road. Psssss. I've never flatted during a race before, but here we go! So I pull of the road and quickly get my HED3 off. Then I go to get my tube and tools. THEY AREN"T THERE. I had to set up transition so fast that I forgot to strap the tube to my seat. I was so pissed. My race was over. I waited around for a while, but no race vehicles were passing. Decided to walk back to the race start. By the time I got back, I was absolutely freezing. It was probably in the 40's and I was soaking wet. That was a looong, dejecting walk. As soon as I got back, I got my stuff and left. I was so pissed.

When I got home, I registed immediately for a tri this coming Saturday. Hopefully it goes a bit better.

Last updated: 2009-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 547 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 13 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-16 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon

2009-03-16 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2020126

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon

Man...what the heck did you do to off the race day karma gods that badly?

2009-03-16 9:15 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- sorry to hear that you had a REALLY bad race day.  Hopefully you'll have better luck this weekend! 
2009-03-16 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
OH dude!! What a crappy day! Sending you good mojo for this weekend!
2009-03-16 4:30 PM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
Wow!  What a terrible day!  Hope you left all the race day gremlins back in Parris Island.  Didn't get a chance to go to the race but a bunch of my TrySports team was in attendance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed