Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 3h 33m 55s
  • 64.7 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Awesome club ride organized by SportyJ and Robot! We started at their house, getting que sheets, etc at 8:30. We had the long group going 64 miles, and a shorter group going 38? with not a lot of climbing. We rolled out shortly after 9. Pretty cool to see 26 people at once leaving together. We're the little club that could!!! We take off and realize that there is a pretty nasty wind blowing already today. Grrrr!!! Great rollers and conversation as we make our way to re-group spot 1 at mile 19. We all get water, food, hang around and chat, etc.... I had to tell one person to quit whining and put his man pants on, which prompted him to finger me with all his might, and PJ was worried we were going to throw down, because he obviously did not know to not do that back at me. Luckily for him I really didn't care whether he did the big loop or little loop. Do what you want. Just quit whining about it. I had a bad cold, but I sucked it up!!! So he eventually quit crying, and made it through the ride.
We started rolling again, and as we climbed toward Usery, I started to hit my low. I think my first round of decongestants was wearing off, and my next round had not yet kicked in. It was hard to breathe, and when I coughed it felt like fire. But we kept on, knowing the big downhill pay off was coming, but right at the top, my bike started making some funny sound. I was worried my front wheel was loose or something. So I road my breaks all the way down. Even with my breaks smokin, I was still going 34. As we go down this hill a pack of like 50 Harleys pass us with their deafening rumble, and at least 3 of them buzzed me. Nice. A-holes! One said something to me, to which I responded "Like I can even hear you azz-wipe!" I know....always the lady, right? We then had to climb up out of Usery to our next re-group spot. This is one of those hills that you could so easily convince yourself is impossible, and that you must stop. BUT you just have to keep going and you can make it. So hard!! It's funny how at so many points on this ride you think "I have NO more juice in my legs, there is no way I can catch those guys, or go up that next hill," but you do it. Right before our regrouping spot Andy came up behind me and grabbed the back of my bike, instantly slowing me down. I freaked out thinking my breaks had just engaged themselves, but he was just letting me pull him. Grrrrrrrr! I had to continually threaten to spit on him to keep him from doing it again!! Bad Andy! I think it was on this leg we picked up our Canadian for the day (you can really only have 1). This roady guy was out and about on his own and jumped into our group. Turns out Barry is a retiree from CA who rides with a club up in CA in the summer, but down here over the winter he pretty much rides on his own. So he was grateful to be in a pack again, and he joined us for munchies afterward!!! He is hoping to join more of our Sunday rides before he goes back at the end of May.
After we ate and gathered our senses with 2/3rds of the route done, we pulled out again. The tough stuff was over with, but now it was all headwind as we headed back. Luckily the overall grade was downhill, which helped. We cruised back and made it to re-group number 3 where the short routers were waiting for us. We placed our order for pizza, and then rode the last 3 miles back to Jen and Josh's. That's where we enjoyed pizza, beer, snacks, ice-cream cake for Jen's birthday, and LOTS of smack talk all around! Hahaha!!! We also had a taegrr sighting, which proves he does exist! Haha! Fun times all around. It was kind of sad though, as Adam is moving back east, and we won't see him again before he goes. Boooo! We had a handful of people on today's ride who are just starting out, and this ride was the longest/hardest they have ever done and they did GREAT! The great thing about a group ride is it will push you to go faster, harder, longer than you would do out on your own. Peer pressure is a good thing in this regard. I think Dustin wins the "Balls of Steal Encased in Spandex" award. He finally relented to wearing spandex shorts, BUT they did not have a bike pad, or even tri pad in them, so he literally MUST have balls of steal!!! You ARE DA MAN Dustin!!! Anyway....great ride everyone!!! Can't wait for the REAL East Side Huge Ride of 100 miles later this year!

Post race

Last updated: 2009-01-01 12:00 AM
Biking
03:33:55 | 64.7 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: 1977 feet of Climbing http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/az/mesa/300077365708
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-16 11:34 AM

Pro
AZ
Subject: East Side Huge Ride

2009-03-16 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2020619

User image

Master
Subject: RE: East Side Huge Ride

Awesome report Tanya!  You did great out there. Wish I could have seen you, but you were too far ahead. Those hills were TOUGH but a great way to start out the season!!

Way to go!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » East Side Huge Ride Rss Feed