General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

M.I.T Miami International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Excel Events & Productions LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 17s
Overall Rank = 409/775
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Saturday March 14th: We (My Buddy and me) woke-up at 8:00 am...got a good/full breakfast like every Saturday: Orange Juice, eggs, toasted bagels, with cream cheese and slices of turkey and brie on top, coffee w/milk and our usual packages of multi-vitamins/minerals, Glucosamine, Amino 1500 and CO Q-10.

9:00 am: Washed (wiped)/lubed/tuned our bikes....and Prepared/packed all our Race stuff...

11:30 am: Loaded our bikes in the car...

12:00 pm: Leave from home to Key Biscayne to pick-up our Race Packages and for the Mandatory Bike check-in...

We got our Race packages...also a green wristband to use during the Race and to get acces to Transition Area...and...our timing chips...ahhh!!! and a cool jersey...!!!

My Buddy got the Bid# 589/ light blue cap and me the Bid# 803/purple cap (finally other/different color from the usual pink).

Photobucket

Put Bid#'s in our bike and took them to Transitions Area...It was a long huge Transiton...there were 3 long bike racks...and...it was already very crowd with all the bikes...

Photobucket

Photobucket

We placed our bikes in our respectives places...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the only thing that came to my mind was..."Holy Cow...How I'm going to find my bike in this mess tomorrow during the Race???"

After that we went to check the Expo...my Buddy needed an Aero bracket for his new bike...to put his AeroBottle...cuz the AeroBars were too wide...He found the last one...Lucky him!!!...then he got a new pair of goggles and I got a new Zoot Tri Short. We went again to Transition to install the Aerobracket in his bike...

After that we went to get a full lunch/dinner in our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli"...My Buddy ordered Linguinis with Seafood and me...Fettuchini Alfredo with shrimps...and...we ordered a jumbo size Pizza for next day...

Got home around 5:00 pm...and...prepared all our beverages for the Race and placed them in the fridge/refrigerator...put our Bid#'s in our helmets and belts...

At 8:00 pm...took my usual green tea and went to bed to watch some TV till 9:00 pm...when my Buddy joined me...turn off TV and lights and ZZZzzzzzzz

Sunday March 15th:
Woke-up at 4:45 am...Got dressed and put our timing chips in our left ankle...Took our Pre-Race breakfast: My Buddy took orange juice, a toasted waffle with peanut butter and coffee, for me my OJ and my usual Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate/coffee)...and...both took our usual packages of multi-vitamisn/minerals, Glucosamine, Amino 1500 and CO Q-10.

We took our coolers with beverages and bags and left from home at 5:25 am...

Got at Key Biscayne at 6:00 am...and...took us around 10 minutes to park the car cuz long lines...

Got our bodymarked and went to Transtions Area to set-up all our stuff...the TA was a completyy mess...super crowd...and the first thing that I took out of my bag was a big green towel and put it under my bike in that way I would find my bike after the swimming and my place after the bike...put the AeroBottle with Accelerade into the bracket over the Aerobars...helmet/sunglasses over my handle bar...biking/running shoes, my hat, my Fuelbelt with Bid#, my CamelBack and a frozen bottle of water over the green towel under my front wheel...

Took my bag and cooler to the side of TA...did sit over the cooler...relax, closed eyes and did a visualization of the Race...then...put bodyglide over my right side of my neck and put my wet-suit...I took a PowerBar Energy Gel (Raspberry Cream) with water/Accelerade and 2 Endurolites...

At 6:40 am the Race Dirctor were announcing that everybody had to leave TA to the Swiiming Area...

I took my cap, goggles and wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swimming Area...

Event warmup:

At the Swimming Area...I tryed to find my Buddy but I couldn't...it was like find a needle in the hay...LOL...I saw him again after the Race...LOL

Put my wax ear-plugs, cap and googles and jumped into the water...the water temp. was in 75oF...a little chilly at the first moment but just when I started to swim I was warmed-up...did swim maybe 100 mts and got back to shore cuz they were calling everybody out of water...

At 6:50 am the National Anthem and in time at 7:00 am started the first wave with the Pro Males followed after 2 minutes with the 2nd wave the Pro Females...and the rest of the waves every 4 minutes...

My wave was the #5 at 7:14 am: the Age Group - Female 40+, Athena & Male 19 & under...and my Buddy wave was the #6 at 7:18 am: the Age Group - Male 50+...

Swim
  • 30m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was in general a good swimming with a constante stroke...but...just approching to the first orange bouy...some girls staritng to grab/pull my legs that I had to kick very hard and finally I took off...
I had the chance to draft in some ocassion behind some fast swimmers...and...we catched some swimmers from the wave before us when wee were aproching to the second orange buoy...
Just before that buoy I started to feel strong winds and waves...that...I had to lift my head to see what was going on...by my surprise the helicopter that was filming the Race was over our group...WTH??? Grrrrrrrr!!!!
At that point the fastest swimmers from the next waves were catching/passing us...very aggresive men...they pass over us...they really didn't care who was in front of them...WTH???...
Then again in my last 400 mts before the Exit...I started to feel strong winds and waves...it was this f*****g helicopter over us...LOL I can't believe this pilot was flying too low...but finally I got shore...and...I got out water very fast...
What would you do differently?:

Train and train...
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

It was a very fast transition...I was the fastest in my AG...
Just out of water...running very fast..and at the same time removing first my wet-suit till my hips and goggles, caps and wax ear-plugs and put inside my cap...and passing a lot of people in my way...
We ran maybe 150 mts till the entrance of Transition and from there to my bike was other long run till I saw my green towel under my bike...and...first I bucklet my helmet and at the same time pulling the rest of my wet-suit...put biking shoes and sunglasses and CamelBack...and ran with my bike as fast as possible till the exit at the desmount/mount area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 1h 23m 11s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Excellent Bike Course like always but too crowd...
I have raced in many occasion here...but this time...we had extremely strong winds coming from SE at 20 mph gusting to 25+, headwinds/crosswinds in our way to Crandon Park...and...tailwinds/crosswinds in our way to Virginia Key and the famous "Rickenbacker Causeway Bridge"...BTW...we had to climb it 4 times...Uffff!!! and for many of you that don't know this bridge...Here are some pics and you can have an idea of the challenge...1.2 miles long and with a height of about 80 feet...

bridge7 bridge

and this one it's a view from somebody behind of a biker just starting to climb it...

bridge5

But everytime that I got at the top of the bridge...I felt like I conquered the Everest and I said to me "Yes...I did it one more time and at least we will have a relieve/exciting moment going down bridge at almost 40 mph" Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!...but...it was a little scary cuz we had strong crosswinds at that point...I had to hold the handlebar very hard...I believed the winds would make me fall...and...then all the excitment to go down finished after the bridge maybe 200 mts where we had to do a U-turn to go back to climb again the bridge...Yikes!!!
After the 2nd climb in my way to Crandon Park...with headwinds/crosswinds...the f*****g helicopter decided to fly and film over us...WTH!!!...and I said to me "We have had enough winds for to have more"....LOL
Just when I got at Crandon Park at the U-turn...I took a PowerBar Energy Gel (Raspberry Cream) with water...and then 2 Clif Shot Block (Cran-Razz) and some sips of Accelerade very 5 minutes...to get ready for my 3rd and 4th climb...and 2nd lap...
And then again after Virginia Key...before going back to Transition...I started to crank very hard...till the desmount area...doing it like usual like the Pro/Elites but keeping shoes on...jumped off the bike and run as fast as possible to my place...

Train and train
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

It was another fast transition but this time I was the 2nd fastest in my AG...
Just when I place my bike in the rack...changed shoes very fast...took my hat, fuelbelt with Bid# and a bottle of water and run out of Transition...but...when I was running to the exit I noticed that I didn't removed my CamelBack...Damn!!!...and...I removed it and gave to one of the staff at the exit...

Practice and practice
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Just out of Transition running not too fast and not too slow...with a constante pace...I put my hat, my fuelbelt with Bid#...and...I took 2 Endurolytes with water from my bottle...and...tossed the rest over my head and neck...
The run course was very nice...the first section a little difficult...white/soft sand till we got in a paved trail...by my surprise...cuz...last year...it was all a dirty trail...with roots, holes and rocks...very narrow...but...the organizers did an excellent work here...they paved part of the trail till the mile 1 and they did widen it a little more...from that poit till the U-turn was a dirty trail...not in bad condition...but...was very dusty cuz the winds...my eyes were itchy...
When I was running I knew that I was in the top 10 but not sure exactly which place...I knew that I had in front of me the 3 fastest women from South Florida in my AG (Laura Dick, Amy Maglioletto and Judy Doherty) and 2 more that were my targets (Nadia Levinson and Daryl Laroche) and my best girlfriend Andrea that is one of the fastest swimmer...but she already passed to the next AG...and
I started to increase my speed...but...keeping a constante pace...my first target was Andrea...when I was approching to the U-turn at the mile 1.5 and she was coming from it...and...just when I got at the U-turn...I sprinted till I reached her...say "Hi" and we smiled each other and I took off...
I started to pass a lot of people...and...I knew that my second target was Daryl...and just after the water station at the mile 2 I reached her...said "Hi" and she said to me "Go get it...Good Job Leonora" and I said to her..."You too"...and...I took off again...just when I was approching to the U-turn at the mile 3 I saw coming Nadia...and...I started to increase my speed...I knew that I would reach/pass her...and...I said to me "Come on...You can do it"....and...it was not till the water station at mile 4 when finally I reached/passed her...uffff!!!...I knew that when she saw me she started to increase her speed...after that...I knew that would be hard to reach Judy...but...I did the best I could...even I couldn't reach her...I passed a lot of people and just when I got in the mile 6 I sprinted very hard till the Finish Line....Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Train and Train
Post race
Warm down:

Just at the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a Finisher Medal, other one gave to me a bottle of water and other one took off my timing chip from my left ankle...Here is a pic of the Finisher Medal that everybody received

Photobucket

I walked and walked...till...my friend Nicole Swift (AG 40-44) came to me and congratulated me..that made me feel great...then...I saw Nadia coming to the Finish Line and I approched to her and gave her a big hug and one of the M.I.T Photographer took us a Pic...Nice!!!

Went out of the Finish Line area to wait for results...and...for my girlfriends Andrea, Julie Carson and Helen Barble and my Buddy...

Then we went to TA to collect/pack all our stuff...and...at 10:30 am...they gave us green light to take out our bikes and bags...

We went to the car...loaded bikes and bags...and went back to check results...

I got 6th place in my Age Group 45-49 of 21 women Yes!!!

Total Time: 2h 50m 17s

My Buddy got 20th place in his Age Group 55-59 of 30 men...
Good Job Babu!!! He did it great cuz he couldn't train for this one...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know that I have done a better performance in the bike in this same course...I usually can keep an average of 19 and almost 20 in all my races...but...this time the gusty winds really affected me...

Event comments:

Excellent Race...Very well organized...a lot of vounteers and enough water stations....Good Job!!!
I really recommed this Race to everbody that likes challenges

Last updated: 2008-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 0/775
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Wet-Suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:11 | 24.8 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/21
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:58 | 06.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-17 8:01 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: M.I.T Miami International Triathlon

2009-03-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2024324

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: M.I.T Miami International Triathlon
Awesome report.This one felt like I was right there with you. Great job on the race and the race report.
2009-03-18 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great race report and pictures. You are super at the OLY distance. I forget that FL is so flat, you have to get hills on bridges!! Sounds like a tough day with the hill and the winds but you put up great times! Well done
2009-03-18 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Velo!  Wonderful RR! Congrats on the race.  You did us proud!  Love the pics!
2009-03-18 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Congrats on a great race and an excellent race report.  I almost forgot how jammed those bike racks were, we were packed in there like sardines.
2009-03-18 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Great job Velo!  You don't think of "hills" when you say Florida.  Way to push through the wind. 

2009-03-18 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

awesome job!!!

the helicopter sounds really annoying!!!!

and of course speedy runner that you are you got your rank that way!!!

2009-03-18 6:15 PM

User image

Miami,FL
great race report!! i think i saw you but wasnt sure it was you.
2009-03-19 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
awesome race Velo, sounds like you had a blast...even with the silly helicopter making a nuisance of it's self...next year, the podium for you!!!
2009-03-19 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job. Awesome race report. I love the inserted pics.
2009-03-21 9:22 AM

User image

No pics of the helicopter?   Nice pics all around, and it sounds like you had an excellent race -- just a bigger field of women so more comptetition.   You'll grab that Podium next time

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed