General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Workshop-worth the money? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-18 9:35 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Total Immersion Workshop-worth the money?

Hello-I am new to triathlons and have been going to masters swim classes for a couple of weeks. I was never much of a swimmer but classes are helping.  Right now I am just trying to get comfortable with swimming and building a base.  Instructor provides technique assistance but right now I am still very much a beginner. Doing my first sprint triathlon in late May.  I see where TI has a weekend workshop scheduled in my area in early May.  In looking at the website it appears the workshop is $495 for combined Saturday and Sunday afternoon sessions.  Looks like each day lasts about 3 hours (class/pool).  I am comfortable that I will be able to complete the swim at my first Tri but was wondering whether anyone here could shed light on the cost versus benefit of the TI workshop for a newbie like myself.  

Thanks

Slornow- but will be faster soon  

2009-03-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2025071

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Total Immersion Workshop-worth the money?
I credit TI instruction with that fact that I can swim today, period. I took a class from a TI instructor over 6 sessions, but I would have taken the weekend workshop if that was my only option.  It's a bit overpriced, but still worthwhile I think.  Really good for learning balance and rotation, which is very very useful.  So, unless you are already good at that, I say go for it.
2009-03-18 10:06 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

How good or bad of a swimmer are you? Can you do some distance now? What’s your avg time for 100s?

TI is good for individuals very uncomfortable in the water; for those with some experience 1:1 instruction from a local coach will be a better ROI and cheaper IMO. Plus TI addresses some aspects of swimming (like body position or rotation) but AFIK doesn't (or didn't use to) address thoroughly propulsion (your stroke reach, catch, pull EVF, finish, etc)

FYI – I’ve read the book, watched the videos and get some instruction from TI instructors and coming from a none-swimming background I wish I would have just get 1:1 swimming from a local none-IT coach instead.

2009-03-18 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great classes, but if you don't have $500 for lessons, you should look into buying the book. I have and love it. I don't have any swim coach or ability to take lessons, so I learned on my own and bought the book. I come from a diving (underwater diving with a tank, not the jumping off a tall board into water) so I was already very comfortable in the water. If you have the money, then I'd so go for the lessons. They are invaluable. But the book is still really good to as a point of reference in the future.
2009-03-18 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I don't have access to any masters swims or coaching locally and hadn't done any freestyle in oh 25 years so basically no skill at it.  I did the 2 day workshop from TI (3 hours each day in the pool and another 3 hours in class, discussion, lunch, etc per day).  Following the class I was able to improve my swimming to the point of being able to swim a 2.5 miles without stopping within 4 months.  I don't swim fast, but with TI I can keep on going.  You will probably have to make a choice as to which style you want to swim, traditional or TI.  It sounds like you already have a good resource in the masters swim.  It would be a very though choice for me if I were in your shoes.  My decision was easier all or nothing. 
2009-03-18 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
slornow - 2009-03-18 7:35 AM

Hello-I am new to triathlons and have been going to masters swim classes for a couple of weeks. I was never much of a swimmer but classes are helping.  Right now I am just trying to get comfortable with swimming and building a base.  Instructor provides technique assistance but right now I am still very much a beginner. Doing my first sprint triathlon in late May.  I see where TI has a weekend workshop scheduled in my area in early May.  In looking at the website it appears the workshop is $495 for combined Saturday and Sunday afternoon sessions.  Looks like each day lasts about 3 hours (class/pool).  I am comfortable that I will be able to complete the swim at my first Tri but was wondering whether anyone here could shed light on the cost versus benefit of the TI workshop for a newbie like myself.  

Thanks

Slornow- but will be faster soon  

Absolutely, it's a fantastic starting point!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Workshop-worth the money? Rss Feed