Other Resources My Cup of Joe » C'Dale Recalls bikes because of the spoke protector Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2025924

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: C'Dale Recalls bikes because of the spoke protector
is that what those are?  Speed screws?  Are those like speed holes?  I tried putting some of those in my tires once, but they didn't work very well at all.

2009-03-18 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2025296

User image

Sensei
Sin City
briderdt - 2009-03-18 8:34 AM

For every wheel I've ever purchased that has one of those things on it, I have it off within 5 minutes of landing at home...

x2.

I have even taken tin snips too them if I'm too lazy to pull the cassette.

2009-03-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2025904

User image

Master
Central Indiana

"I know what you're saying, but whan an industry-recognized safety device exists, and they forget to install it...well...

If I forget to use my seat belt, shame on me. If pontiac fails to install one in my car, shame on them."

The comparison of a dork-disc to wearing a seat belt is way off base. It's a HUGE stretch to call the dork-disc a life saving device.  One prevents you from playing smash face with your windshield or being thrown from your vehicle in a crash, while the other MAYBE prevents bike damage or at worst a low speed tumble.  The dork-disc is an industry "standard" mainly to protect the rear drive side spokes from chain damage UNTIL the rear derailleur low limit screw is properly adjusted (since a properly adjusted RD will not allow the chain to shift off the largest cog into the spokes).  If I were I bike maker I'd put 'em on too just to prevent warranty losses on rear wheels.  

Safety feature???? Only given that title by  the same bunch of clowns that wants to outlaw quick-release front wheels due to the "hazard" of them falling off while riding.  IMHO- It's a typical waste of taxpayer dollars enforcing the installation of a (nearly) useless device which 99.99% of serious cyclists remove as soon as they get their new bike home.

I understand why Cannondale's doing the recall, but let's grow up.

Edited by Oldteen 2009-03-18 7:23 PM
2009-03-18 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2026602

User image

Master
Everyone knows (I hope) to remove the dork disk, valve stem caps, reflectors, and all safety stickers before riding a new bike for the first time.
2009-03-18 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2026602

User image

Giver
Oldteen - 2009-03-18 8:22 PM

The comparison of a dork-disc to wearing a seat belt is way off base. It's a HUGE stretch to call the dork-disc a life saving device.  One prevents you from playing smash face with your windshield or being thrown from your vehicle in a crash, while the other MAYBE prevents bike damage or at worst a low speed tumble.  The dork-disc is an industry "standard" mainly to protect the rear drive side spokes from chain damage UNTIL the rear derailleur low limit screw is properly adjusted (since a properly adjusted RD will not allow the chain to shift off the largest cog into the spokes).  If I were I bike maker I'd put 'em on too just to prevent warranty losses on rear wheels.  

Safety feature???? Only given that title by  the same bunch of clowns that wants to outlaw quick-release front wheels due to the "hazard" of them falling off while riding.  IMHO- It's a typical waste of taxpayer dollars enforcing the installation of a (nearly) useless device which 99.99% of serious cyclists remove as soon as they get their new bike home.

I understand why Cannondale's doing the recall, but let's grow up.

Grow up?

Have you ever thrown your chain into your spokes? Two years ago, my derailleur self-destructed making a shift at speed and threw my chain into my spokes. The effect was instantaneous lock-up of my rear wheel. The road was damp, and I went down and slid across a lane of traffic. Because, like most people, I removed the pie plate. If there had been cars on the road, it could have been bad. Luckily, I got by with a bruises and some pretty sweet road rash.

So to say it's not a safety device is just false. Bike manufacturers know it is, as much as reflectors are. You remove them at your peril. If you get a bike without one and you don't know any better, the chance for injury is real.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » C'Dale Recalls bikes because of the spoke protector Rss Feed  

of 2