Baldassari & Leestma Race Mgt.
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race didn't start until 10:00 and it's only 10 minutes from my house so didn't need to get up or leave early. Went to the bagel store with Nicole in the morning and ate a bagel and PB as breakfast. Got to the race and it was a bit disorganized with very long lines at registration. Finally got my number, tacked it on and went to hit the head when they announced the race was starting. Jogged over to the start line (well about 50 deep or so) and waited for the gun.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than a little stretching while waiting for the go ahead. I did this race last year and a guy actually dropped dead about 10 yards and this year his wife and a bunch of his family (including a 2 and 4 year old) were there and she said a few things prior to the race. Almost cried looking at the kids.
Run
  • 23m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Because I got in line late it took me about 25 seconds to actually reach the starting line and then at least another minute or so before I could do anything other than jog and look for room. After that I tried to stay with my friend Jay as long as I could but he eventually started to leave me about 1/2 way through. According to the folks at the mile markers both my 1st and 2nd miles were 7:35. My legs felt great but I was having a difficult time staying relaxed with my breathing. This happens to me a lot when its cold out. Gotta work on that some. Got to the 3 mile marker and there were 3 people in front of me so I gave it my all and passed 2 of them so that made me happy but then I was thinking if I could really sprint the last bit I probably could've been running harder earler!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much other than focus more on my running training if I want to try and post a new PR for a 5K. Of course since my swim and bike are my weakest legs that doesn't really make sense.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some bottled water, found Jay who beat me by a minute (always almost to the second at any race we do). Finally found the bathroom and then headed on home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not starting this when I was young and still had some decent athletic ability! In all honesty this is about my level given how much I can train, etc.

Event comments:

Just your average local 5K to try and benefit a local cause. Will probably do it again next year as it's the 1st 5K locally and they give out a nice long sleeve T.

Last updated: 2009-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Straight 1 minute or so run, turn right and complete 2 laps of the main part of town. Flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-21 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run

2009-03-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2032427

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run

that is sad about the man who passed!

and as for hard breathing while running in the cold....well, it is just hard breathing for me RUNNING!

CONGRATS! love the new avatar!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run Rss Feed