Highlands Ranch Community Association
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 15s
Overall Rank = 13/394
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/81
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7:00 am. Out of Clif bars (thanks Nut King!). Had a bagel with peanut butter. Gu about 15 minutes before race. Drove down and registered and then went to Home Depot to check out cordless drills.
Event warmup:

Jogged for a few minutes and stretched.
Run
  • 20m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided to do this race a few days before, mainly because Erica was feeling good and I needed to let loose a little. This is not a PR course. Quite hilly and the wind was blowing. Rough goal of around 20 minutes and top 15.

Started off at a good pace and really tried not to look at the Garmin much. Passed by the usuals who go out too fast. Hit Mile 1 @ 6:23 and felt good! But then long gradual climb towards mile 2 where a pretty good hill awaited. Garmin showed my pace had dropped quite a bit but I still felt good and I think it was more the incline than anything. Continued picking off runners and really pushed up the hill. Opened up the last mile as we finally had the wind at our backs and a relative downhill. Picked off two more crossing back over Lucent but couldn't get a 12 year old kid a few second in front of me. Last mile in 6:19.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pushed more from mile 1 to 2. I knew the course and the hill that awaited so maybe I got a little conservative.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Hung out with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course. Ran it about as hard as I could but there's no PR on a course like this.
I think if this had been a flat race I would have easily been under 20 minutes.

Event comments:

Had to walk back towards the starting area to find water. This area was crazy as runners were coming in, making a loop, and then heading back to the finish. Surprised no one got run over. Just water for post-race refreshments; nothing else. Heard a number of runners complaining that their chips didn't pick up finishing times. This, of course, delayed the awards ceremony. The initial results had me 3rd in my age division so I stuck around and got my medal. But today I dropped two places overall and two places in my age group so not so meaningful now.

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:15 | 03.11 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/81
Overall: 13/394
Performance: Good
Mile 1 (6:23); Mile 2 (6:56); Mile 3 (6:19)
Course: Big loop with first 1.25 miles mostly downhill but into a good headwind. Then long uphill to mile 2.25 and finally some wind relief and a relative downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes