General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the most out of limited time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-22 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: Getting the most out of limited time.

I love to get into the gym for some resistance training. However, I have been racking up a weekly 20+ miles weekly running for an upcoming half marathon, not including the spinning and recent biking I mix in quite often. I'm only getting into the gym twice a week and need to start prioritizing my muscles groups, with an focus on triathlon. In past I did basic chest & tri; back & bi complexes. Legs and core thrown in every now and then.

My request for advice is - what routines/complexes do you recommend for full body, triathlon focus resistance training? I am thinking of doing full range motion lifts like squat-to-press > chin-ups. Or deadlifts > lunges. Complexes of that nature? I appreciate your advice.

2009-03-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2033470

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Getting the most out of limited time.
Funny, because I was just thinking about submitting an article to BT on complexes.

Complexes are a great choice if you're limited on time. Here's what I like to do. After a warm up, I pick one compound lift: squat, deadlift, some kind of press, dips, pull ups, or rows. I work that one lift for strength, going heavy for low reps, but you can do it for any number of sets and reps you want. You can even mix and match: do some heavy/low rep work followed by higher rep sets.

After the one lift I then do a complex.

Here is my favorite complex:

Row
Clean
Front squat
Military press or push press if going heavy
Back squat
Good mornings

Here's a cool complex that you can do with one dumbbell:

1. one arm swing

2. one arm snatch, keep the bell over head;

3. one arm overhead squat;

4. bell back down to bottom, then one arm high pull;

5. bell back down to bottom, then one arm clean & press.

Enjoy.
2009-03-23 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2033470

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: RE: Getting the most out of limited time.

Great advice Mike. Thank you!

I am going to have to broaden my lifting by learning the snatch and few other new lifts. After reading your response I have realized how plateaued and consistent my current routine has become.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting the most out of limited time. Rss Feed