General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exhaustion after workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-24 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: Exhaustion after workout

In the morning I have a bowl of Cheerio's for breakfast and then do a hard training session (swim, bike or run, usually a mix of 2 of those) around midday. I've been doing this 5 days a week for the last 10 months.

Afterwards, I have lunch - usually something like a veggie sub or a chicken sandwitch and some fruit. The thing is, I am usually totally exhausted afterwards and am not sure if this is normal, whether it's nutritional, and what can be done about it. I've considered backing off my normal training intensity, but that would kind of defeat the point of pushing myself further and further. Another weird thing is that my endurance, power & aerobic capacity has improved dramatically over the last 10 months but I am still very overweight - currently 245lbs and I should be 200lbs... losing a pound here or there but not at a rate that I would expect for the amount of training I do. I don't feel that I eat a tremendous amount of calories - I don't eat any processed foods, eat alot of veggies and mostly lean meats.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2009-03-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2037242

User image

Expert
Florida
Subject: RE: Exhaustion after workout
FlyTheBlueSky - 2009-03-24 2:53 PM

In the morning I have a bowl of Cheerio's for breakfast and then do a hard training session (swim, bike or run, usually a mix of 2 of those) around midday. I've been doing this 5 days a week for the last 10 months.

Afterwards, I have lunch - usually something like a veggie sub or a chicken sandwitch and some fruit. The thing is, I am usually totally exhausted afterwards and am not sure if this is normal, whether it's nutritional, and what can be done about it. I've considered backing off my normal training intensity, but that would kind of defeat the point of pushing myself further and further. Another weird thing is that my endurance, power & aerobic capacity has improved dramatically over the last 10 months but I am still very overweight - currently 245lbs and I should be 200lbs... losing a pound here or there but not at a rate that I would expect for the amount of training I do. I don't feel that I eat a tremendous amount of calories - I don't eat any processed foods, eat alot of veggies and mostly lean meats.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

cause your from MA ill help...
I tried to take a quick look at your logs, but there are not any there so.. any chance you could post your routine AND/OR the plan you are following.

Also, the easy answer to the losing weight problem is tracking your calories in/calories out versus your RMR plus your exercise expendature, basically-how many calories you eat a day on average, what your resting metabolic rate is, minus that, then minus the calories burned through your training..that should tell you whether u are in a surplus or deficit..u want deficit but no more than around 500 calories per day,which equals 3500/week in deficit. that will help you lose weight.

also....a calorie is not a calorie. HUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

if you ate half a big mac and fries from mcdonalds and ate a comparable meal calorie-wise made up of fresh fruit/veggies, whole grains, and lean protein, I promise you not only would you get full faster and longer with the second meal, but the quality of the calories you take in will help with your recovery and training AND weightloss. so make sure your nutrition is comprised of clean,healthy foods like lean chicken breast, lowfat beef or topround beef, fish, fruit, lots of green veggies(but try to eat a rainbow overall), and unbleached wheat grains.
if you want further assistance give me a PM.

2009-03-24 2:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-24 3:10 PM

Lafayette, CO
I agree with Bill, I think you've put your body into starvation mode and it's doing everything it can to hang on to the calories available on itself and therefor you're sapped with not enough calories to do your workout and function in your daily life.  Also, I think a bowl of Cheerios doesn't have nearly enough protein. 
2009-03-24 5:59 PM

Master
Riverside, IL
A measly bowl of Cheerios would definitely NOT sustain me until midday...especially if I were doing an intense workout at that time. I love Cheerios, but they're not very satisfying to me. I would need something a LOT more substantial to hold me over. Like a bowl of oatmeal with some PB and maybe a few other add-ins mixed in. Or perhaps an hour before your workout, have a snack of some nuts or yogurt, or PB toast, or something along those lines.
2009-03-24 7:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions; for starters, so to speak, I am going to eat a more substantial breakfast and have some chocolate milk after training. I'll probably eat a bit more for the next two weeks and see how that works.

2009-03-24 9:24 PM

Champion
MA

I eat snack before work out and recovery food after wards.

Ideally you eat more at breakfast like 350-500 calories or lighter breakfast with a 200 calorie snack before you workout.

2009-03-25 8:11 AM

Extreme Veteran

First, you can't manage what you don't measure. Start tracking your daily intake so that you know how many calories you're taking in and how much is carbs/fat/protein. The nutrition tracker here is decent, and there are more robust trackers available on the internet. If you have an iphone, there are at least a dozen apps that will help you do this. Once you know how many calories you're getting and where they are coming from, you can begin to make changes.

Second, when you eat is almost as important as how much you eat. If you're eating 200 calories for breakfast, you're going to use that up by midday with walking around, brushing teeth, driving to work, etc. Your body needs a little more fuel in the tank before your workout, and some to replenish it after, or it's not going to burn the calories that you want it to burn. Lots of people (not just weightlifters) favor eating six small meals every three hours, instead of 2-3 big meals every six hours. This will keep the fires stoked throughout the day and may relieve pressure to overeat at meals or snack between.

Third, you may not have lost weight because you've gained muscle. Has your performance improved on your bikes and runs? Have your 100 yd splits come down on your swims?

Lastly, God may hate you because you're a Red Sox fan. There's not much you can do abou that one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exhaustion after workout Rss Feed