General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 yd swim sprint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-29 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Subject: 50 yd swim sprint?
This is so 180, but I know there are experienced swimmers in here....

I've been practicing for eight months on swimming long, working on endurance--read all there is about technique for the long haul. Now, at work, I've been signed up as a swimmer for a "corporate challenge" event. I didn't think twice about it 'cause I'm so used to thinking of swimming as equal to and endurance event, full stop. Today, however, I received word that the event is a 50 yd. "splash and dash"! Egads! I'm not really going to change how I train, but still: what, if anything, should I do differently in my technique in such a short swim? Just the usual but faster?? Kick more?

2005-03-29 9:09 PM
in reply to: #135516

Regular
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: 50 yd swim sprint?
A 50 yard sprint is as much about a good start and a good turn as it is about your stroke.  Concentrate on a good push off the wall and a tight streamlined position.  When it comes to the stroke, turn it over faster (but make sure you finish all the way through).  Good luck!
2005-03-29 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kochi, Japan
I`m not sure exactly what your swim workouts entail, but if you are not doing it already, I would reccomend doing a short sprint set each workout. This can be as short as 4x25, or 4x50 yards/meters (try for little rest). I think this will help not only your "splash and dash", but if you remember to keep good form it will also result in faster times at the longer distances. It will also give you that extra push you will need the next time you plan on passing people in a crowded pool or going out fast at the start of a tri.

-also many people breathe alot less when doing a sprint 50. I usually breathe bilateraly, but during a race, I won`t breathe more than 4 times during the fifty. Again, this is based on your ability as a swimmer and what you are comfortable with. If you are going to change anything, I reccomend trying it out a few times during your workout beforehand.

Good Luck!

Edited by vonholt 2005-03-29 9:25 PM
2005-03-30 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Your turn is a huge part of a 50 yd sprint - a flip turn would be fastest, otherwise practice getting a lot of speed off the wall when you push off from your open turn.  Also, you shouldn't breathe as much during a 50 - breathing takes time.  I usually take one breathe the first 25, then maybe 2 or 3 the 2nd 25.  If you're not a really experienced swimmer, just try to work on breathing every 4 or 5 strokes when you do sprint sets - it will speed you up a bit over breathing every other stroke.
2005-03-30 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
If you are going to do a flip turn do not breathe in or out of the turn (take a breath before the flags on the way in and after the flags on the way out).

Off the walls keep in a streamlined position with your arms covering your ears (so your head does not slow you down).

Kick more and turn your arms over faster. Like others have said you can practice this at the end of your workouts, just make sure to get a warm down after the sprints!

Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 yd swim sprint? Rss Feed