General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit the Wall - Need Nutrition Help/Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-03-29 11:05 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Hit the Wall - Need Nutrition Help/Advice

I could use some help here.  I started 9 weeks ago at 306 pounds, and my doctor put me on a 1200 calorie balanced diet.  I have been training hard twice a day and am down to 261 ( loss of 45 pounds).  All was going well, and then this week it feels like I have absolutely hit a brick wall. Yesterday I overslept by three hours and was lethargic all day (I had been waking up at 5 a.m. every day for 5 weeks with no problem). My ride was nearly impossible this morning, and I could only go 6 miles instead of 10 or 12 as planned.  I was tired all day today, too.  My 2-mile run this evening was excruciating, and it was 3 minutes slower than my previous times.  What in the world is happening?

Is it possible that I need to actually increase my calories in order to maintain energy and keep losing weight?  I am so afraid to increase because I am paranoid that the weight loss will stop and I will start gaining again, and I still have 45 pounds to lose. The other side of the coin is,  if this energy deficiency keeps up, my training is going to suffer big-time.

HHHHEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP !!!!

2005-03-29 11:14 PM
in reply to: #135546

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Hit the Wall - Need Nutrition Help/Advice

1.  Talk to your doctor!

2. Do you have rest days in your training plan?  Your body builds strength and fitness during rest periods; not during workouts.  Workouts tear your body down.  Rest builds it back stronger than before.  So, be sure to include rest days in your training plan. 

TJ

2005-03-29 11:25 PM
in reply to: #135548

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Wow, you've been doing great so far.

Have you increased the frequency/intensity/duration of your workouts since starting your caloric restriction? At what rate have you been losing weight? Obviously increasing your activity requires more calories. If you still want to lose weight but be active, you may need to increase your calories, but still maintain a defecit. Talk to your doc about increasing your calories if it seems you're body is requiring more energy to do your stuff. And don't give up, but don't be afraid to take a break either.
2005-03-29 11:30 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

AdventureBear,

Good to see you on the board again.  I am doing spinning M-W-F for 45 minutes in the morning, as well as swimming laps for 45 minutes M-W-F at noon.

T-Th I ride for 45-60 minutes in the morning, and jog 2 miles (24-27 minutes) in the evening.

Saturday mornings, I ride with a cycling club from 12-20 miles depending on the day, and jog 2 miles in the evening.

Sunday, I rest!

I have been losing at an average rate of 5 pounds a week, which I knew would slow down eventually.  But I never thought I would completely run out of gas, especially so abruptly!

2005-03-29 11:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
OK, this isn't advice, just logic & math:

A pound is 3500 calories, 5 pounds a week is a 2500 calorie a day defecit. Holy cow...I would stop functioning!

If you want to continue losing 5 pounds a week, you'll need to calculate your daily caloric need taking into account your current wieght and calories consumed while exercising, then subtract 2500 from that number.

If you want to slow your rate of weight loss, obviously increase your daily caloric intake, knowing that every 500 calorie a day defecit will result in a pound per week.

Maybe it's time for you to slow down a little bit, as long as there is a mild defecit, you will continue to lose weight. Plus, building muscle mass will increase your basal rate because muscle requires more energy to maintain.

Is your doctor a nutritionis/bariatrician, or a general internist? You may want to consult a nutritionist at this point if you havn't already.

Good luck!
2005-03-30 12:31 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Your body is talking back: it is saying slow down and/or feed me.....I think all of us experience really crappy workouts from time to time, same sort of thing, your situation is just more extreme because of your rapid weight loss and lack of prior conditioning perhaps? I would definitely slow down and evaluate the caloric intake....congrats on the progress, though, don't let this discourage you, there will be more ups and downs along the way, give it time.....

2005-03-30 12:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
In your particular situation, I would highly recommend that you not only use an experienced sport medicine doctor... but, also a sports nutritionist and an experienced coach (preferably with a medical background). That combination should prove to be VERY useful ... if not lifestyle changing.

BTW, Congrats on your successes to date.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-03-30 7:47 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Thanks for the posts of encouragement.  I think the reason I've been able to lose so fast in the beginning is because I was so obese, and spent so many years eating terribly and being completely sedentary, that the 180 degree lifestyle change shocked the heck out of my body.  After all these weeks at the same calorie level, and with extreme amounts of exercie (compared to before) it seems my body has adjusted and a change must be made.

My doctor(s) are a general practice family physician and a chiropractor.  Looks like a referral to a nutritionist may be in order.

2005-03-30 8:59 AM

New user
I'm eating around 3000 calories a day just trying to maintain my weight. I think you'll be fine but check with your doctor. Good luck with the weight loss and don't give up!
2005-03-30 12:08 PM
in reply to: #135613

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
OldAg92 - 2005-03-30 7:47 AM

Thanks for the posts of encouragement.  I think the reason I've been able to lose so fast in the beginning is because I was so obese, and spent so many years eating terribly and being completely sedentary, that the 180 degree lifestyle change shocked the heck out of my body.  After all these weeks at the same calorie level, and with extreme amounts of exercie (compared to before) it seems my body has adjusted and a change must be made.

My doctor(s) are a general practice family physician and a chiropractor.  Looks like a referral to a nutritionist may be in order.

Definitely do this! When I read your first post what immediately came to mind was.....1200 calories?? OK, maybe for someone who does not work out beyond a brisk walk once or twice a day, but I don't see any doctor, given the information about the workouts you are undertaking, putting you on that kind of calorie restriction. You need FUEL, buddy! Get thee to a nutritionist.
2005-03-30 12:26 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Wow, 1200cals seems like nothing...especially if you are training on a regular basis.  I average 2500-2800cals per day @ 160lbs withoug any weight gain.  Also remember that as you build muscle your BMR will increase as muscle actually requires more energy to support through the day.

2005-03-30 1:37 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Hey, the most important component of your future health is your committment to improving your health! As long as that's there, you will do great whether it is fast, s low or inbtween.

For a point of reference, I lost 15 pounds in a 3 month period on a 1200 calorie a day diet...and I only started at 150 pounds, less than half of where you started!

Definately get some referrals for nutrition & exercise from someone with a lot of experience working with people in your situation.
2005-03-30 3:06 PM

Not much more to add here, but I also want to chime in and say that 1200 calories a day just isn't enough. No way. If you were sedentary then maybe, but if you're training then you simply need more. I'd also like to ask how many times a day you're eating and what percentages of proteins, complex carbs, and omega 3 and 6 fats make up your diet. If you don't know those then I too advise you to see a sports nutritionist who can design a plan that specifically fits you. We're all different and our bodies will respond accordingly.
Anyway, get enough rest, eat enough of the right things, and just accept that sometimes you're going to have a discouraging workout. You're doing great so keep going!
2005-03-30 3:12 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Lamma:

I eat six times a day as follows:

Breakfast - strawberry protein smoothie (fresh strawberries, protein powder, 8 oz water) and one piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter

Snack - half of  a protein bar and 8 oz of V8

Lunch - Either grilled Tilapia or chicken, with a salad or a cup of grilled vegetables, and a serving of fruit

Snack - Other half of the protein bar and 8 more oz of V8

Dinner - salad or mixed vegetables, one serving of fruit, and either fish, chicken, or soy protein (i.e. Boca Burger); a tablespoon or two of peanut butter

Snack - 1 cup Cottage cheese; or 5-7 triscuit crackers with sugar free 100% fruit strawberry preserves

And yes, as boring as it may seem, I eat the exact same thing almost every day.  It drives my wife crazy

Edited by OldAg92 2005-03-30 3:13 PM

2005-03-30 3:23 PM
in reply to: #135558

"If you want to continue losing 5 pounds a week, you'll need to calculate your daily caloric need taking into account your current wieght and calories consumed while exercising, then subtract 2500 from that number. "

I don't understand that equation....can you explain? Thanks!
2005-03-30 3:25 PM

Nevermind...I get it. I reread it, and saw "caloric need." I didn't see that initially, and I'm like...huh?

I get it now.

2005-03-30 3:32 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Another thing to consider is that along with a periodic rest day you may need an occasional rest week.

I weigh less than you, workout less, eat a lot more, and have been slowly losing weight for over a year now. You could probably use a rest break and a bit more fuel.
2005-03-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: #135880

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Basically you need to burn 2500 calories more than you eat to lose 1lb.  Fitday.com has a nice little feature where you can estimate your basal metabolic rate + energy used for lifestyle + energy used for exercise.  If you also use it to log your food intake you can get a decent idea of what your caloric deficit is and how much weight you should expect to drop per week.

sharonnagy5 - 2005-03-30 3:23 PM "If you want to continue losing 5 pounds a week, you'll need to calculate your daily caloric need taking into account your current wieght and calories consumed while exercising, then subtract 2500 from that number. " I don't understand that equation....can you explain? Thanks!

2005-03-30 4:25 PM
in reply to: #135878

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Brandt-

You seem incredibly dedicated and determined, hence the intial results. My 2 cts. are that you need to parlay this into a lifestyle not just a crash project to get fit and lose weight. Take your time. Motivation goes strong in the beginning but starts to wear thin over time when the novelty wears off, your workouts are painful and you hate the food etc. Many people succeed intially but far fewer make it last. Try to make sure you like what you are doing, that you look forward to your workouts, your meals, not just that you like the results of your effort. FWIW.
2005-03-30 4:45 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

US50090:

Thanks for the support, and you have a very good point.  If my goal is centered on a number on the scale, I will eventually wear out and get bored.  This is why I really want to start competing in triathlons, because it gives me a "hobby" to go with my lifestyle....something to actually work for and achieve.  So far, I like the food, like the workouts, etc.  However, even after 9 weeks, I realize that this new lifestyle is still in the infancy stage compared to the previous 35 years in which I have been basically sedentary and eating the supersized version of everything that is bad for me. 

While my training tells me I am not ready for a tri yet (unless I want to walk basically the whole run portion), I feel the need to start competing to keep myself insterested, motivated, etc.  I know that the "honeymoon" period of the early results is waning, and I want to stay interested and motivated.  Thus, my dilemma....do I enter a tri that I'm almost certain I can't do well in, or do I keep training as I am and do my best to stay motivated?

2005-03-30 5:06 PM
in reply to: #135940

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
OldAg92 - 2005-03-30 3:45 PM

Thus, my dilemma....do I enter a tri that I'm almost certain I can't do well in, or do I keep training as I am and do my best to stay motivated?

Why not set intermediate goals such as:

1. COMPLETE each segment of a goal-distance triathlon:
    1. 800M swim
    2. 20-mile bike
    3. 3.1-mile run
  2. Complete each segment of a goal-distance triathlon at a goal pace:
    1. 800M swim at 2:30/100
    2. 20-mile bike at 18-mph average
    3. 3.1-mile run at 10-minute pace
  3. Complete bricks of each two segments of a goal-distance triathlon:
    1. 800M swim and 20-mile bike
    2. 20-mile bike and 3.1-mile run
  4. Register for triathlon

Maybe do this within one of the training programs found on this site.

2005-03-30 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
OldAg92 - 2005-03-30 1:45 PM

US50090:

Thus, my dilemma....do I enter a tri that I'm almost certain I can't do well in, or do I keep training as I am and do my best to stay motivated?

Doing "well" is in the eye of the beholder and depends on your objectives. If you just want to finish without killing yourself, even if you finish dead last, then that's one objective. If you want to finish middle of the age group pack, that's another. Races do motivate, but you should also look for day-to-day "wins" to keep you going. For example, I am dying to get a run in later this afternoon because the weather is beautiful and I can just feel a good run coming on, that's all I need to take me from one day to the next. It is easier when the rewards are frequent rather than distant....everybody is different, sort of need to find your own beat......
2005-03-30 5:57 PM
in reply to: #135878

OldAg92 - 2005-03-30 3:12 PM

Lamma:

I eat six times a day as follows:

Breakfast - strawberry protein smoothie (fresh strawberries, protein powder, 8 oz water) and one piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter

Snack - half of  a protein bar and 8 oz of V8

Lunch - Either grilled Tilapia or chicken, with a salad or a cup of grilled vegetables, and a serving of fruit

Snack - Other half of the protein bar and 8 more oz of V8

Dinner - salad or mixed vegetables, one serving of fruit, and either fish, chicken, or soy protein (i.e. Boca Burger); a tablespoon or two of peanut butter

Snack - 1 cup Cottage cheese; or 5-7 triscuit crackers with sugar free 100% fruit strawberry preserves

And yes, as boring as it may seem, I eat the exact same thing almost every day.  It drives my wife crazy

Sounds pretty solid. Again, I'd just encourage you to eat more. When I started off to lose weight I was 252 pounds. After a year of really busting my butt I'd only lost 17 pounds. That's when I sought professional help. In five months I went from 235 down to 203. My caloric intake for those entire five months was 1825 calories a day. My diet also consisted of and still consists of eating 6 times a day. I don't know your body type, fat percentage, or any of the other variables but it seems pretty obvious that as long as you're working out there's a good bit of room for calorie increase as long as it's the right kind (obviously). Just for info purposes my weight loss diet consisted of 44% protein, 39% complex carbs, and the rest were supposed to be omega 3 and 6 fats but I don't know that I ever hit those numbers 100% every day. Heck, I know I didn't. But I was darn close. My workout regimen was pretty brutal but it helped me accomplish the goal.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you already know this but... Remember to change up your workout routine every couple of months. It will keep things from getting stale and it will shock your body into burning more calories. I'd go two months where I'd keep my training heart rate between 130-140 bpm for an hour and then I'd switch and keep my heart rate at 150+ for half an hour. I'd also do a high rep, light weight resistance workout and then change up to a low rep high weight type of workout.

I can really relate to what you said about it driving your wife crazy. "How can you eat the same thing every day?" My answer was and is that you gotta do what ya gotta do. Sure, you can try and switch things up but there's only so much variety available with lean meats and green veggies with no butter.
2005-03-30 6:56 PM
in reply to: #135893

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TH3_FRB - 2005-03-30 3:41 PM

Basically you need to burn 2500 calories more than you eat to lose 1lb.  Fitday.com has a nice little feature where you can estimate your basal metabolic rate + energy used for lifestyle + energy used for exercise.  If you also use it to log your food intake you can get a decent idea of what your caloric deficit is and how much weight you should expect to drop per week.

sharonnagy5 - 2005-03-30 3:23 PM "If you want to continue losing 5 pounds a week, you'll need to calculate your daily caloric need taking into account your current wieght and calories consumed while exercising, then subtract 2500 from that number. " I don't understand that equation....can you explain? Thanks!

It's actually 3500 calories to a pound. To lose a pound a week is 3500 divided by 7 days which is 500 calories a day. OldAg was losing 5 pounds a week, so multiply 500 calorie a day deficit by 5 and that's where the 2500 came from. I was just illustrating a point about how much of a significant calorie restriction he would continue to require to continue losing weight at that rate. Just basic math.
2005-03-30 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
OldAg92 - 2005-03-30 3:45 PM

US50090:

Thanks for the support, and you have a very good point. If my goal is centered on a number on the scale, I will eventually wear out and get bored. This is why I really want to start competing in triathlons, because it gives me a "hobby" to go with my lifestyle....something to actually work for and achieve. So far, I like the food, like the workouts, etc. However, even after 9 weeks, I realize that this new lifestyle is still in the infancy stage compared to the previous 35 years in which I have been basically sedentary and eating the supersized version of everything that is bad for me.

While my training tells me I am not ready for a tri yet (unless I want to walk basically the whole run portion), I feel the need to start competing to keep myself insterested, motivated, etc. I know that the "honeymoon" period of the early results is waning, and I want to stay interested and motivated. Thus, my dilemma....do I enter a tri that I'm almost certain I can't do well in, or do I keep training as I am and do my best to stay motivated?

Doing well has nothing to do with why a lot of people tri. Don't worry about that, especially not now!

I can understand your desire for a strict diet: it makes it easier to calculate exactly how many calories you're getting each day without a lot of complicated planning. But it sounds really boring, and it seems likely that when your body rebels against the boredom it's not going to rebel in the direction of carrots. You may be at a point where spending some time in the kitchen figuring out some new, healthy meals and snacks will help make your new habits more of a lifestyle and less of a passing fad. Would you be willing to consider the possibility that your wife could be a little bit right?

And I've got to say what everyone else said: 1200 calories? Are you insane? I weigh 135 pounds and if I ate only 1200 calories a day someone would have to roll me home in a wheelbarrow every night. There'd be nothing left!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit the Wall - Need Nutrition Help/Advice Rss Feed  

of 2