FSS
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 26s
Overall Rank = 47/106M
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, about 3 hours before race time, drank about half a bottle of water. Did some stretches, and then ate half an English muffin with almond butter, a banana and some weak coffee.
Event warmup:

2 mile jog to check out the course; stretches, and a couple of strides.
Run
  • 39m 4s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't run this kind of distance in a Du for a while, so my strategy was to try not to get caught up in the opening sprint, run my own pace, try to ignore people passing me, and be a little conservative. The start was a little cramped, and not terribly well organized (given that we were being yelled at only after the start to stay on the trail in order to run over the first timing mat), so I couldn't have got a flyer if I'd wanted to but predictably most people ran away from me. By the end of the first loop, however, I was beginning to pass people. Not many, but a few. The course was pretty tiring; my HR was in high zone 4 for most of it.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with the time, but I still think I went out a little too fast, my HR was still pretty high when I hit the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Not one of my better transitions, but still faster than in Charlotte.

I need to figure out an easier system for coordinating changing my Forerunner over to the bike. I had a good system where I'd put on the helmet and take off my shoes simultaneously, but now there is an extra element.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 26s
  • 31 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing can prepare you for your own acts of stupidity! I recently got the bike and cadence mount for my Garmin and I've been practicing transferring the unit between hand and bike. But what I completely spaced on was setting the multisport recording function going. I thought I had done it, but when I started on the bike, I realized that it was still recording using all the run units. So I had no indication of what my speed was, my cadence, or how much distance I'd covered. Fortunately the distance was marked on the road at 5 mile intervals. But I had to bike completely by feel. Pushed the bike really hard, climbing mostly in my large chain ring. Had a prolonged passing duel with one guy and then finally put him away right near the end. The whole last part of the ride was pretty tough, however, and I was hurting, one muscle in the inside of my groin in particular.

Learn how to turn my friggin watch on!

I didn't quite finish all my drink, so I need to work on that.

The cramp on the inside of my leg is something I've had before and it tells me that I should have been taking some endurolytes. This was backed up by the fact that when I peeled off my gear I had a lot more salt encrustation than usual. I tend to think of taking Endurolytes only when it's really hot, but when I'm really pushing it I tend to need them as well. Something to remember.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

I felt a little rushed and disorganized, but the time was still pretty good.
Run
  • 40m 9s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, the times seem to indicate the course was a little short, but oh well!

The first mile was a little hard because my feet were frozen. And I was beginning to feel negative thoughts creeping in. So just after mile one I basically mentally bitch-slapped myself into thinking more positive. Mile three was hard, coming back up at the hill for a second time, but by this time I was feeling as if I was running consistently at least, and I was beginning to pass people, a rarity with me on a second run! I pushed the last downhill, recovered a bit and then tried to pick it up for the last quarter mile, but not as much as I would have liked.

I took a gel and water about halfway through. I think I would have benefited from drinking a little more, however.
Post race
Warm down:

Very tired, and already stiffening up. So I made sure I stretched thoroughly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I pretty much gave it my all for this race. Knowing my speed on the bike could have been a help--but then it could also have been a hindrance.

Event comments:

I've done two races in this series now, and I'm quite impressed. The courses have been quite challenging and very fair, favoring all rounders. The only criticism of this race I had was that the start was a bit of a mess, and they needed more bike racks. We were packed in like sardines!

I heard some people talking after the race about how they had got lost or been sent the wrong way or something. But the turns were well marked, and it's ultimately the racer's responsibility to know the course. If you don't scout it out beforehand, then you take your chances and can't blame the event organizers.

Last updated: 2009-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:04 | 05 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 74/106M
Performance: Average
7:50 (157); 8:04 (160); 8:16 (164); 8:07 (163); 6:38 (161).
Course: 2 lap course. "Rolling" would be generous; this course was tougher than I expected. Two steady uphills, one of them reasonably steep on each loop, and a nasty little drop (downhill on the way out, uphill on the way back) reminiscent of the infamous uphill just out of transition in the Columbia tri. After I ran this course for warmup I knew I would have to significantly revise my time estimates. My times show the course as being a little short, but I think this is due to where it was measured. Part of it went through a housing development and there were ample opportunities for you to shave corners. Also, I'm not sure if the timer started when we went off, or when we all ran over the timing mat a little ways up the path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:37:26 | 31 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 28/106M
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Trending downhill in the first part, a steady climbing section in the beginning, and about 6 miles of uphill at the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:09 | 05 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 44/106M
Performance: Average
8:19 (152); 8:07 (156); 8:41 (157); 8:20 (156); 6:43 (165).
Course: Same as above.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes