General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Routes in Wilmington, NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-26 9:32 AM

User image

Wilmington, NC
Subject: Bike Routes in Wilmington, NC

I'm new to the sport and just starting a training program.  Does anyone have suggestions for bike routes in Wilmington, NC or a website where I could find some?  I really don't want to ride on busy roads until I'm more comfortable with riding on the road in general.  I've only biked on the road for distances greater than a few miles a few times (one was a week long bike trip, but was with a group of people the whole time).  Any input would be awesome!

Thanks!!Cool

2009-03-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2041296

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Bike Routes in Wilmington, NC

River Road has a bike lane as does Kure Beach. My info is probably a little dated, though. Traffic is light, but fast, on River Rd; Kure beach has sand in the bike lane, but off season should be easy to ride on the road down to Fort Fisher. Maybe even take the ferry and say you biked to South Port.

Try the "Routes" icon up top beside training log. Filter by distance from zip code and enter your zip. When I first started I did the Porters Neck TT that comes up and it was nice. We parked in a rest home parking lot. Making right turns we barely had to stop.

2009-03-26 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Wrightsville beach is actually a nice place to ride depending on the time of day. You can park at the tennis courts and do loops of the island, it's about 9 miles long. Not much traffic, bike lanes for part of it and plenty of room for cars to move over.
River road is not bad unless you hit rush hour. The speed limit is 55 so it can get a little interesting if the traffic is heavy.
421 N is a good place, park at the Battleship and head north, once you get past where I-140 connects, there is hardly any traffic, wide lanes and pretty safe.
There is usually a group leaving from where the old babies hospital used to be, near Crocker's Marine at the beach. They will ride either out towards Pender County or down towards the ferry, etc.
Hope this helps.
2009-03-26 2:08 PM

User image

Wilmington, NC
Thanks for the advice on where to bike!  I'll definitely be taking advantage of your suggestions!
2009-03-30 10:25 AM

User image

Wilmington, NC

Stop by TrySports in Mayfaire Town Center! We're just across from the Fox and Hound. We do rides geared towards beginners Saturday mornings either at wrightsville beach or independence mall. Wilmington is a very hard place to find long, safe routes. Always try to team up and go WITH someone.

We also have a multisport group (free to join) that's for people who are new to triathlons. We do clinics (nutrition, how to change a tire, injury prevention...) and organize group workouts/training plans to get you to your race! I'd love to help you out! Stop by anytime - I work every day.

Noelle

2009-03-31 10:21 AM

User image

Wilmington
Definitely check out the shops (TrySports, Bike Cycles, Two Wheeler Dealer) for routes and group rides. Also, Cape Fear Cyclists (www.capefearcyclists.org) has some regular rides. I'm not super confident on busy roads. I live on the north end of town and will do the Porter's Neck Road/Bald Eagle/Edgewater Club area for a couple loops to get in 15-20 miles without going too far from home. If it's early in the AM, I'll brave the short distance up 17N to add in Scotts Hill Loop just over the line in Pender County. I have to be with a group to go any further, though. Safety in numbers! 

2009-04-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2050919

User image

Wilmington, NC
Thanks for the tips!  I haven't ventured out on my bike yet.  I'm definitely nervous about busy roads.  I did my first training ride at the gym.  I'm hoping to ride outside on Sunday...but I need to go to the bike shop first and make sure my bike is tuned up since I haven't used it it in years!!  I think one of my friends is going to ride with me on Sunday so that should help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Routes in Wilmington, NC Rss Feed