General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories Burned While Not Exercising? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-27 12:08 PM

Subject: Calories Burned While Not Exercising?
I am recently out of college and since I now have a job I don't get to work out near as much as I did while I was in school.  I am not trying to loose weight, just maintain, but I am unsure about how many calories I need to be eating.  My question is how many calories do you burn while doing everyday activities like typing, talking on the phone, etc.?  I have heard that you want to match calories in with calories out to maintain weight, but how can I do this if I don't know how many calories I burn?  For example yesterday I ran 6.5 miles so that probably burned around 700 calories, but I know I have to eat more than 700 calories in a day.  If anybody could help me with this I would appreciate it. 

2009-03-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2044180

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Calories Burned While Not Exercising?
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ is a great site for figuring out how many calories you burn just being you.  Go to the activity calculator and it has just about any and every activity out there, from sleeping to housework.
2009-03-27 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2044244

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

BodyCheck - 2009-03-27 1:28 PM http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ is a great site for figuring out how many calories you burn just being you.  Go to the activity calculator and it has just about any and every activity out there, from sleeping to housework.

I use that website a lot as well, but be careful because many on here think it way over-estimates how many calories an activity burns ... but from all my research so far I think it is pretty dang close.

You can use it to estimate you RMR, or Resting Metabolic Rate - what you burn just to live even if you did nothing but lay on the bed for 24 hrs.  The website might calculate your RMR a little high, by a couple 100 calories or so .. but should be close.

Had mine tested and it was 2101 ... and the folks there, people with Masters and Phd.'s in Health and Exercise and Sports Science (they teach at Meredith College) ... told me to calculate between 300-500 calories a day for Daily Activity.

So, if I just take a shower, eat, drive to work, walk around, do desk work etc ... I should burn between 300-500 calories.  I'm using a middle number of 400 and so I've set my daily calorie needs at 2501 .... if that is all I eat then anything above just daily activity should work toward losing weight.

Again, I found that website fairly accurate ... but just to make sure I'm going to start taking their numbers and multiply by .75 ... just to be on the safe side.

Edited by klowman 2009-03-27 12:43 PM
2009-03-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2044180

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I use http://caloriecount.about.com.  They've got categories for feeding the dogs, grocery shopping, sitting at the computer even!  Once you sign-up (free) and plug in your height, weight, age and some other stats, it'll automatically calculate how many cals you'll burn in a day.  For me, without logging any cals burned, I automatically burn 2,035 cals.  Add on all the little activities here and there plus tri training and you'll be surprised by how many you can burn.

Take the numbers with a grain of salt, though, as they can't be exact, but they can be a nice guide.

Yeah, you definitely need to consume more than 700 calories a day!  I don't know about the difference between cals in/cals out for maintaining, but if you want to lose, you need to have burned more than what you've eaten.

Edited by lkagop 2009-03-27 12:48 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories Burned While Not Exercising? Rss Feed