Triple Cities Running Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 136/184
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast at the local diner-2 big pancakes with lots o' syrup. Watching the cook pour the batter right where he just finished making sausages (I'm a vegetarian) left me wondering how my stomach would handle the extra "flavor". No problems. That was 3 hours before the event. Went home and did some fancy yoga moves to start warming up the bod. Chugged a Gatorade 1 1/2 hours before the event. Sipped water right up to 5 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Two small laps around the school. More stretching (sans yoga moves).
Run
  • 1h 22m 16s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

It was breezy when I left my house with my running ensemble plus a vest and sweatpants. I shed the pants before the 2 laps around the school and ditched the vest during stretching...I was waaay to overdressed for the run with a long sleeved Nike fancy shirt and compression leggings. A tank top and shorts would have been much better.

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised with my run. I had several comments that I "looked good" so my form held up well...until Mike 8, then I petered out from there.

I started with the "slow" group because I had to get to work after the race (yeah 8 1/2 hour shift right after a 15k=I'm a trooper). It took until Mile 9 or so for the first runner from the official group to catch me AND THEN the first female passed me about 100 yards from the finish. It was cool to run with the quick kids, but it would have been cooler before the "first" female across.
What would you do differently?:

Fewer clothes! I threatened to get down to my underroos!
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the car (after chugging 3 waters) and went to work. The hamstrings were achy, but nothing was screaming. Took 3 Aleve.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being too warm. My face was BURNING.

Event comments:

Us slow kids started late... I think there was some error between our start time and the timers time. The race results have me at 1:23:02 with a 8:55 pace. But Garmy says 1:22:16 at a 8:40-something pace. I would have moved up about 4 spots overall, but the gal ahead of me in my age group was about 6 minutes faster than me.

Anywhoooo, I liked getting a mug at the finish line!

Last updated: 2009-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:16 | 9.32 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty darn flat! Some small hills. Nothing too crazy. Pretty quiet roads. Water stops every 2 miles.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-29 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: 34th Annual Forks XV

2009-03-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2047588

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: 34th Annual Forks XV

Awesome race!  I enjoyed reading the report.  Sounds like you had a good time!

It is tough to dress for a race this time of year.

2009-03-30 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2047588

User image

Veteran
horseheads
Subject: RE: 34th Annual Forks XV

my garmin had the route longer and my pace faster as well.  i have a picture with my finish time ,thanks to RSTOCKS3, that shows my time 2 secs faster than credit given.  

on a side note i finished 3 seconds behind that girl, so i must have seen you at the end?

way to tough it out and head into work right from the race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 34th Annual Forks XV Rss Feed