The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 5585/9539
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 624/810
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:35, got dressed, grabbed bagel and wife and headed out. Arrived at the park around 6am. Met for Christian Runners prayer meeting, hit the john and raced to the corral for the start.
Event warmup:

None really, except the time it took to get to the start line. Big problem.
Run
  • 2h 16m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

My right knee felt like it was going to give out around mile 4. Nothing else to do but keep going, especially since it felt better to run steady on it than hobble around. Think I might have some issues with my IT band not being properly stretched out before race. All in all, very happy to have finished the race one minute off from my target time despite my knee.
What would you do differently?:

Hope to not have my knee start hurting at mile 4. Train a little more with consistent nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, got my blanket, got my bag, punt on my pants and found wife. Then grabbed food and headed for the car, then IKEA/food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee. Muscles felt fine after the race, but my knees didn't want to bend. Didn't do enough consistent training beforehand, that week of rain killed me. If I'd arrived earlier I could have properly stretched and perhaps prevented the knee issues.

Event comments:

Looking forward to doing it again and hopefully doing much better, with some proper training.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/810
Overall: 0/9539
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 10:05, Mile 2-4 - 31:07, Mile 5 - 9:58, Mile 6 - 11:15, Mile 7 - 9:25, Mile 8 10:01, Mile 9 10:00, Mile 10 - 10:31, Mile 11: 11:21, Mile 12 - 11:25, Mile 13 - 10:14, Last tenth - 1:00
Course: Rolling hills. Glad to have trained in the area I did...only reason the hills didn't hurt me more.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes