The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 12s
Overall Rank = 3298/9539
Age Group = Men 40-49
Age Group Rank = 616/1146
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 AM, coffee x 2, english muffing with pb&j, parked at Lindberg Marta and took marta to 5 points, wore winter biking tights over shorts, lycra tee and bike windbreaker, glide in necessary spots, bandaids, used a fanny pack for iphone, gels, etc., wore visor and took sunglasses
Event warmup:

no time for warm ups, rushed to drop off gear bag and didn't have time to reach my corral..started with corral 2
Run
  • 2h 07m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

my first race since Peachtree Road Race in 1986, decided to keep warm outer layer on which was smart, ran slow first mile with a friend and then did my own race, opened up my jacket at mile 3 and soon took it off, stayed very comfortable with biking My tights on, stopped at every hydration station, one power gel at mile 6 and another at mile 9 and chased with water, otherwise drank gatorade, felt well hydrated and good energy, was paranoid about hills but they went very well, I liked someone's comments about big arms w/little legs going up hill and focusing 15 feet ahead which helped,ran along the center line per my coach Mo, my feet got a little sore after mile 6, I know this is Forrest Gump but kept saying to myself I feel good, I'm well hydrated, I'm well energized, well oxygentated, could've stopped to pee but lines at most portajohns, really tried to push out the last three miles and focused on bonking after the finish line, actually felt good at the finish, felt great support from all the "fans"
What would you do differently?:

working on drinking skills and not having to "wear" gatorade throughout the race, ? more cushioned shoes or orthotics? to ease foot pain, need better battery for iphone since it was wearing out at 2 hours, avoid trying to meet up with folks at the start-lost a lot of time with that, get to the race earlier and have time for b'room break and sip some more water,
Post race
Warm down:

put on everything I had because it was freezin, walked around but no stretches, water and a banana

What limited your ability to perform faster:

20 years of not training!

Event comments:

definitely built up some confidence for the run portions of my upcoming tri's

Last updated: 2008-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:12 | 13.1 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 616/1146
Overall: 3298/9539
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2009-03-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2048712

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
wow.. 1986? 

Welcome back. Running has missed you.   Nice race to re-debut, and nice time. Congrats on everything.
2009-03-31 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2049783

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
thanks...it's been a long time...always had the dream of doing triathlons...better late than never!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed