The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing in particular. Typical race morning breakfast and getting to the race site early.
Event warmup:

Lots of walking around, more just trying to stay warm than anything else.
Run
  • 2h 12m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal was to finish under 2:10. The plan was to run 10 min/miles for the first 10 miles, pick up the pace a bit for the next two miles, and gut it out the last mile.

Started off slow, 10:27 for the first mile and 10:10 for the second mile. Picked up the pace to about 9:30 min/mile until I found the 4:15 pace group and hung with them almost to the split between the half and full courses. Through 10 miles I was :35 ahead of my goal pace and feeling good.

The hills caught up with me as I left Piedmont Park. 10th Street and Juniper were not fun. My legs were tired and heavy and my pace slowed to about 10:30. I lost all the time I had picked up over the past few miles. The 12th mile was just as much a mental battle as it was physical. I was trying to pick up the pace but couldn't sustain it for more than a minute or two. The last water station I took some water just to have an excuse to walk a few steps. Mentally I was starting to give up, my goal time was out of reach and my legs were tired.

Saw the 1 mile to go sign and felt better. Looked at my watch and thought that I had a slight chance of reaching my goal. Picked up the pace and felt good enough. I finished steady but had nothing left to really sprint to the finish. Missed my goal by 2:30.

What would you do differently?:

This was a good run for me, not much I could have done better on race day. The problem is that I had forgotten how hilly this course is and did not train appropriately for the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, stretching, and refueling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training has been less than consistent and most of my runs have been on relatively flat terrain.

Last updated: 2009-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2009-03-30 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2049287

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
Great job out there! I agree the hills after piedmont park were pretty much the most painful part of the race. Nice job coming close to the goal time- this early in the season you can do nothing but improve. Sorry we missed you out there
2009-03-30 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Nice job as always, Bro.  Way to go!
2009-03-31 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
Nice run out there even if you missed your goal.  That is not an easy course since they put the hills at the end when you are already tired. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed