Atlanta, Georgia
United States
The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
Total Time = 2h 13m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I'm cutting and pasting one of my posts from my mentor group to give you the set up here ...

So, I'm traveling this weekend/week and I'm in Atlanta for a music teachers convention. No, I'm not a music teacher ... don't ask It's rainy and chilly here with some wind, and quite honestly, I kind of like that. Love to walk around cities when it's cold and gray outside. However, I had just been planning on hitting the gym here at the hotel, not running outside.

I woke up this morning around 7:00am and was totally blown away that it was still completely dark outside ... thought for sure my clock was wrong. Nope, 7:00am and I'm wide awake. Decide to get a coffee and walk around a bit in the rain. As soon as I stepped around the corner from the hotel, I'm approached by a homeless man that says he's gonna walk with me a bit. Okay, no problem. **There's both a point to this story and kind of a punchline coming, I promise.**

So we're walking and talking, and he mentions that there's going to be a marathon in the city tomorrow. Uh oh! Didn't think much at the time, so we kept walking and I eventually ended up back at the hotel. Got some breakfast, read the paper and went upstairs to get some work done ... but not before googling "Atlanta marathon".

Turns out the ING Georgia Marathon was happening about a block from my hotel. Set up my exhibit at the trade show, did some errands around town and I "just happened" to find myself outside of the Georgia Dome where the fitness expo for the race is being held. Of course, I go inside.

And of course, I signed up for the half marathon.

I'm in no way prepared to run 13.1 miles (I've never run even close to that distance before), I have clothing appropriate for a hotel gym (not a cold, windy morning in Georgia), I really can't afford the race-day entry fee, and I have to be opening a trade show exhibit at 9:00am the morning of the race. Did it anyway!

The funny part, though, is when I was filing out the entry form, there was a spot that asked how I heard about the race: Internet, radio, magazine, etc., and "other". I checked "other" and in the space filled out "dude on the street this morning". I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. I'd have to remember that when I'm puking at mile 9.

Event warmup:

Walked to the race from my hotel, tried tried to stay warm, drank a cup of coffee.
Run
  • 2h 13m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this with absolutely zero expectations, signing up the day before the event on a whim. I just wanted to finish and jumped right behind the 4:30:00 pace group for the marathoners and figured that would put me around 10:00/minute miles.

I felt good (really good!) the first 10 miles. Breathing was fine and I didn't fell all that physically taxed.

At around mile 10, though, my right knee started to hurt and I was nervous that I wouldn't make it. However, around mile 11.5, we went up a hill and for some reason the pain went away. Last 3 miles were a killer, though! Not the course itself, but the distance was catching up with me. I wasn't going to let myself walk, though, and I didn't. Started seeing the hotels in the skyline getting closer, could see the CNN logo on the building and I realized I was on the home stretch so I pushed it through.
What would you do differently?:

Actually prepare? :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to pick up my stuff, went back to the hotel, showered, put on a suit and went to work ... brutal!

Event comments:

I had a blast and am really looking forward to another HM!

Last updated: 2009-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:01 | 13.1 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: I asked the lady at registration if it was a flat course, and she said, "Depends. If you're from San Francisco then yes, it'll seem flat. If you're from here, you might call it hilly." I said I was from San Diego and asked if that helped. "No," shes said. In the end, I'd call it flat with some rollers. Nothing too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2009-03-30 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2049509

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
Amazing!

(I think the going to work part is the best.)

Congrats!
2009-03-31 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Heh.. great story. Glad you joined the fun. Congrats on making a gutsy decision and making the most of your time here.
2009-03-31 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great race report! Love that you just did a half mary on the spot! Maybe that way is better than planning for it and stressing so much! Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed