The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 25m
Overall Rank = 140/2076
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Age group rank is unknown due to results errors.

Got all my stuff ready the night before.. of note, Dr. Sadri stretched my hamstrings the day before, and that was a definite benefit.

Woke at 4:45. Ate a bowl of oatmeal, decided against drinking a boost. Left the house at 5:30 and drove to meet up with friends. First Einstein's then Hilton Garden. Worked out very well to stay on the west side of the course. Essentially parked right there. Saw Kraig M, and said good luck to him. Then headed down with the group to gear check.
Event warmup:

None. Didn't feel as if I needed one. I felt loose and ready. Also, in a marathon, that's what the first few miles are for.. warm up. I got to corral 1 with about 5 minutes to spare, and chatted with some foreigners. I asked one what pace he planned on carrying and he said "I don't know miles, I only know Kilometers" heh. 7:04 came, and the event started.

Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My goal over the last year has been to Boston Qualify. I need a 3:20:59 to do that. My ultimate goal (not at this race) is to go sub 3:10. I knew after training, that I only had a slight chance of running a BQ race here at ING. 2 reasons. Course difficulty, and my legs were just not recovering and feeling 'right' over the past month. My attitude was.. hey, you never know. So I lined up near the 3:20 pace group, and off we went.

The first 7 miles are a blur. I felt great. As good as I have felt running all of 2009. The course has rolling hills as this point and it's easy to forget what lies ahead. First mile was a little quick, at 6:56, but then we pulled back and got into a nice rhythm and pace. Hit the 10k mark at 47 min.

After the split from the half marathoners, a few people in the 3:20 pace group fell off. We ran through Candler, and at about mile 8, I looked down at my garmin 205, and it was dead. My watch picks and chooses when it wants to die, even with a full charge.. and this was the 2nd ING in a row where it died on me in mid race. More on this later.

Around mile 9, the first real monster climb of the race happens. It's up ponce.. about a mile long. It's draining, but at the top, I assessed, and still felt strong. College ave to Decatur is another blur. Agnes Scott came and went, then Clairmont, then N. Decatur. Before I knew it, we were at mile 15.. then through Emory and off to mile 16. At the 16 mile mark I lost the 3:20 pace group. They pulled ahead just before Lullwater as I went for water and gel. My goal was to catch them on Oakdale or Springdale.. but heh.. let me just say.. Druid Hills is no place to plan on catching anyone. The climb up Springdale then over to Briarclif and up to N. Highland really was where I started to fade. Not by much.. but by just enough. My heart rate was fine, but my legs were fatiguing.

With no garmin, and no pace group, I was running blind as far as pace, and total time were concerned. That's fine in shorter distance races, but not at Marathon distance. There are just too many factors that come into play.

• .. back to the race.. Once I hit N. Highland, I turned on the jets, and though maybe I could catch the 3:20 pace group. I saw them off in the distance. At that point I started thinking about that stupid world record line the TV had on the swimmers at the Olympics.. only the 3:20 pace group was that line, and I was well behind it.

• Once I turned onto 10th, the goal of 3:20 started to become unlikely. I really didn't know for sure, cause the pace group was no longer in sight. Too many turns and hills to be able to see that far.. :) The turn onto Juniper was as difficult as I remembered from the year before. The winds were starting to pick up here, which made it even more of a challenge.

Crossing the connector is a bit of a mental lift. After that, you are really in the home stretch. Running through Georgia Tech is ugly though. They pick the worst part of campus to run us through.

Once I got to Marietta St., and the totally BS one mile to go sign, I was happy, but not happy at the same time. I knew 3:20 was impossible, but I felt good to be home. I like running down that last stretch.. there is something very real and very urban about it.

so back to the Garmin.. I crossed the finish, and immediately found the nearest garbage can and threw it away. Gone.. the Garmin 205 will haunt me no more!

Side note.. and not really different from last year, but from N. Highland through the end of the race, I was playing dodge the half marathoner. Most were fine and not in the way, but some were very inconsiderate and seemed to be disturbed by people actually coming up from behind them and actually running.
    What would you do differently?:

I really feel like I had a good race. Conditions were perfect. I just was not ready for it. So I need to look at my recovery plan a little closer and maybe take a recovery drink after training runs of any kind.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Walked, pouted. cheered others in, froze, then went to go eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. Physically, not mentally.

Event comments:

Post race at this event sucks. Everyone leaves, and that's a shame. Plan is to run it again next year, and every year that I can. I love the challenge that the course brings. Still ranks as the most difficult course that I have run.

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
    Running
    00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/
    Overall: 140/2076
    Performance:
    Course: Really, the best way to describe this course, is rolling hills, then giant hills, then uphill to the finish.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Below average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
    2009-03-31 10:50 AM

User image

Master
    Atlanta, Ga
    Subject: ING Georgia Marathon

2009-03-31 11:02 AM
    in reply to: #2051019

User image

Veteran
    Subject: RE: ING Georgia Marathon

Man I feel so honored to be the first to say congrats!  I think you had a great day considering the malfunction of a critical piece of equipment.  I know you've been concerned about your fatigued legs lately but damn, that is some good running you put up Sunday. 

You're at a whole new level here with very consistent 26.2 finishes.  Good for you. You will have your BQ soon.

H.

2009-03-31 11:31 AM

User image

Master
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Gold member
    Man, 3:25 on a day when you weren't ready? That's huge. Congrats.

3:25 at ING, same fitness and no weather limiters, and you've probably got a 3:17 at Chicago? Something like that..BQ is nothing more than a question of when.

Nice day.
    2009-03-31 12:59 PM

User image

Elite
    Roswell, GA

That is a good time on that course.  I agree totally about half marathoners and running without pacing info.  ING needs to work on keeping the walkers to one side.  I almost forgot the fake "1 mile to go" sign!  It was actually the 25 mile marker.  I saw on the asphalt where it said 25 miles and the guy next to me looked at his watch and agreed with me.  It's a small detail to someone who doesn't run, but a big one to people who are gaugin how much they have left in them versus how far they need to go.

Anyway, great race and go find a flat course!

2009-03-31 1:18 PM
    in reply to: #2051417

User image

Master
    Woodstock

That is a darn impressive time! Great job on a tough course and an imperfect scenario. Congrats on a very solid marathon. No doubt on any given day you will have the BQ soon

2009-03-31 1:20 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
    Fulton, MD
    Wow, tough sounding course!  Good job on the time when you thought you weren't really "there" in your fitness.  I definitely see the BQ in the future when you are feeling on!

2009-04-01 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
    North Metro ATL

I think that is a great race Ron! I would love to run 3:25 on that course.

And that last mile sign. I was so confused at the end. I think those last miles they need to work on sign clarity. I just kept seeing half marathon signage and my brain for some reason couldn't grasp that if I was at mile 12 of the half marathon I was mile 25 of the marathon. It was like I knew but I was sure. End of a marathon is like having a temporary brain injury. They need to make it so I don't have to think at all for myself.

FWIW My Garmin never works on any course I run in Atlanta so I just don't bother. That messing with my head more than not knowing. 

2009-04-01 8:12 AM

User image

Master

3:25 still kicks , especially on that course.  Maybe you should run Kiawah with Doug and me in December.

The organized post-race was admittedly nada, but the NAMC group (who I found in front of the Omni hotel on my way to my planned spot at the corner of Baker and Marietta) was there until past 1pm.  You should have pinged somebody and joined in.  Some even took a watching hiatus for brewskis.

2009-04-03 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Greenwood, SC
    Great job on what sounds like a tough course! Your determination will lead to a BQ one day soon. Can't wait to read about it.
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Marathon Rss Feed