General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Iron-Looking for Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-03 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
Subject: First Iron-Looking for Advice

Looking for some help:

I'm tenative about signing up for my first Iron.  I've done plenty of sprints/OLYs, and did my first HIM last year.  I've picked out one to do that isn't popular (so you can sign up 5 months before the event instead of a year).  If I am ever going to do one, it'd be this year--but I'm nervous.  Could any of you share some stories about your hesitations and what got you through the training?  What made you decide to do it? Was it something for yourself or others, did you want a challenge? I'm just hoping that by reading them, I realize that this kind of feeling is normal , and get the nerves to just pay the money and start ramping up the mileage.

Thanks!-Nicole

2009-04-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2061057

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Subject: RE: First Iron-Looking for Advice
after 12 years of tri's I finally got the iron bug this year. always bought in that it was impossible that you need to sacrifice a whole year of your life in training for it then last year read a couple race reports and a good training book and figured i could do this and stay happily married and see my kids and not lose my job. so I figured what the hell let's give it a try. I am training for the chesapeakeman down in Md this sept it's a iron distance w/ a flat course and closest race i could find near my home so no flying w/ family and they are well run and organized but also cheaper and more flexible than WTC races. good luck to you on your journey you can do this just keep going forward
2009-04-03 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I think most everybody who does one has that moment of panic when they hit the button to officially enter. I know my first thought was "What have I done?" If you have done a half, well, you are half way there. It takes a lot of time and determination, but it is so worth it. You will find great support and advice here. Just find a plan you can do and then put your trust in it. There are a million out there, and it is easy to start doubting if you are doing it right. I have done 2, and what finally got me to do it was the thought that I didn't want to wake up one day and regret not having tried.
2009-04-03 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

CAN you do it?  Absolutely.  Do you WANT to do it?  Only you know the answer to this question.

I think nearly everyone is at least a tad apprehensive when signing up for a new distance. 

2009-04-03 11:38 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You probably could go back a couple of years on this forum and spend hours reading about others experiences.

I think everyone is nervous and unsure when they sign up. Can I do it? Can I do the training? How can I fit it all in? Will it effect my relationships?

For me it was a scary thing and encompassed much of my mind time for a year and plenty of training time as well. I stopped working so I could train and still around for the kids before and after school. I didn't really like working anyhow...not much of a sacrifice for me.

It was a huge growth experience is so many ways. I loved the training mostly until about 6-8 weeks out and then I was just ready to be done. But I signed up for another one this year and love the training and feeling more comfortable with what I know will be coming and confident I can handle it.

I find sport teaches us a lot about ourselves if we let it.

Check to see if you feel the training will fit into your life, those who are close to you are supportive and check your heart, you'll know when it is right. For me I made lists of pros/cons of different races and overthought it to death. Finally it was knowing how easily my ability to s/b/r could be taken away from me as I was in a bad bike crash I knew the time was now be bold and sign up..and I did 5-6 days laters.

2009-04-04 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran

Thank you all for sharing--and you've helped! Joe h, The Chesapeakman is actually the race I picked as well--I've just not pushed that button to pay the entrance fee yet.  I know I have support for the training from my family and my wonderful boyfriend, and I'll be able to make the training time for it with some sacrifices.  Thanks again for the insight--reading your posts has made me feel more comfortable about the nerves, and I think perhpas I'll have to go sign up today for the race!

Hope to see you there Joe!

-Nicole

2009-04-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2062243

User image

Champion
MA

hannawho - 2009-04-04 8:55 AM

Thank you all for sharing--and you've helped! Joe h, The Chesapeakman is actually the race I picked as well--I've just not pushed that button to pay the entrance fee yet.  I know I have support for the training from my family and my wonderful boyfriend, and I'll be able to make the training time for it with some sacrifices.  Thanks again for the insight--reading your posts has made me feel more comfortable about the nerves, and I think perhpas I'll have to go sign up today for the race!

Hope to see you there Joe!

-Nicole

Go for it and sign up..huge step!

2009-04-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2062243

User image

Expert
Bucks County
LOL! me either but that's the beauty of the Cman we can probably wait till sept. you can do it!
2009-04-04 12:40 PM

New user

finishing up week 4 of BT training plan for my first IM--Lake Placid.  It's certainly doable but challenging.  The workouts have been fine up to this point but next week starts some serious hours.  The reason I signed up is that I met someone who did IMLP as their 1st tri ever!  No sprints, olympics, etc.  So I figured if he could do it so could I.  I just try and remind myself that its fun and not get too stressed out if I miss I workout (missed 2 short bike rides in 4 weeks so far).   Life happens. Im not very fast but I love it anyway.  Plus I get to eat like a horse which helps!!

2009-04-13 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Isn't that what makes it so exciting? What makes you feel alive? The fear of the unknown, not knowing you can do it? Doesn't that motivate you to focus, concentrate and prepare? This is what makes it such an awesome undertaking! It is the ultimate endurance test. I know you want to feel better, but in reality most of us here all want to get our hair on fire, scare ourselves senseless. It's borderline perverse. Dive in head first, just deal with what comes your way. A lot of people finish but some don't.....oh, the unknown! This is why triathletes are such control freaks, they try to control what they can because there is so much they don't.

Most us live lives that span a narrow spectrum between highs and lows. These endeavors broaden the spectrum both to the high and the low. It's that what makes us come alive more than we've ever been. Embrace the terror!
2009-04-13 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I am not sure if you have kids or not and what your job situation is like but if you do not have kids I would suggest you go for it now. I have a 1 year old at home and let me tell you it is not easy to train with children. What made me sign up was the realization that it is never going to get easier. Now I have one kid, in a year or so I will probably have another. So it would not be any easier. Than they get older and you have all of their activities and the old mini-van taxi. Still not easier. When they are old enough to drive themselves around and take care of themselves I am now alot older and who knows how I will feel. So you see it never will be easy. It may always be doable but rarely easier. If you wanna do it dive in and you may shock yourself.

2009-04-14 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
To everyone--thank you again for all your posts--they've really helped inspire me.  I did sign up for the Chesapeakman in September of this year.  And yes--it is quite exciting!  I've even thought about how I'd like to try and document the entire experience (from training to finish line) after reading some other's race reviews.  No kids (at the moment), so yes, this is the perfect time to try and do it.  And kimje, your comment really hit home for me---I don't want to go through my life never even having TRIED--thank you for that.
Hope to see you all around the Iron Distance Forum!
2009-04-15 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congrats on pulling the trigger. 

Most IM training plans are 18-26 weeks and assume you have enough base to start with 45-60 minute swims, 2-3 hour rides, and 60-90 minute runs.  They also assume you'll have 10 or more hours per week to devote to training. 

If neither of these describes your situation, you need to re-order some things to make the experience a success.  Otherwise, happy training! 

I'm <10 weeks away from IMCdA and so far have really enjoyed the training. 

2009-04-17 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2081360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

us50090 - 2009-04-13 3:02 PM Isn't that what makes it so exciting? What makes you feel alive? The fear of the unknown, not knowing you can do it? Doesn't that motivate you to focus, concentrate and prepare? This is what makes it such an awesome undertaking! It is the ultimate endurance test. I know you want to feel better, but in reality most of us here all want to get our hair on fire, scare ourselves senseless. It's borderline perverse. Dive in head first, just deal with what comes your way. A lot of people finish but some don't.....oh, the unknown! This is why triathletes are such control freaks, they try to control what they can because there is so much they don't. Most us live lives that span a narrow spectrum between highs and lows. These endeavors broaden the spectrum both to the high and the low. It's that what makes us come alive more than we've ever been. Embrace the terror!

Well said!

2009-04-20 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ok, well, less embrasing terror for now, my first IM is still like 15 weeks away and well it is not time for terror yet.  That is for the last week 8) or starting morning waiting for the swim to start after saying goodbye to the wife and reassuring her that I will be fine really, and I'll see you in 16 hours or so..... if not sooner.... well hopefuly not alot sooner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Iron-Looking for Advice Rss Feed