General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clydesdales and wheel weight limits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-04 1:17 AM

User image

APO, Marshall Islands
Subject: clydesdales and wheel weight limits

Hi all... quick question for you.  Have any of you ever ridden a wheel that you were over the weight limit for?  Any other stories or recommendations on this subject?  The reason I ask is that I recently ordered and received a HED disc wheel and stupidly did not do enough research... turns out the wheel has a 190 or 200 lb limit (depending on where you look).  According to the site I bought it from, HED says it's officially 190.  I'm currently 213-215 lbs.  So what's my big risk here?  Will it warp after 5 miles?  10?  500?  Will it completely fall apart sending me flopping on the pavement? 

I guess I'm overly optimistic to think that the wheel can withstand higher weights, but HED just wants some CYA factor... which I understand.  I am just wondering if I am risking injury if I ride it in my upcoming 42k time trial. 

I live in a very remote part of the world and it takes at least 2 weeks to ship here.  My event is in just over 3 weeks so I could probably order something else, but I really wanted to do some practice rides before the event.  It's really no huge thing if I don't get to ride a disc in my event, but it sure would be nice. 

Thanks in advance for any tips, scoldings or other advice that you may have. 

2009-04-04 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2062132

User image

Douglassville, PA
Subject: RE: clydesdales and wheel weight limits

For what its worth...I am 210 lbs and have never paid attention to the weight limits on my cycling gear.  I don't buy anything that is advertised as lightweight, but I don't avoid them either.  I raced a full season at T-town on a zipp disc that was rated somewhere in the same area and had no problems.  I don't think that after 42k's you will notice any difference in the wheel. A season of 42's? maybe, maybe not. I would ride it. Just my 2 cents.

2009-04-04 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

I too think you'll be okay... but would do my best to avoid potholes.  I don't think you're in danger of having a catastrophic failure, but could see you damaging the rim if you nail a pothole or something (although a 170 pound rider could too).

2009-04-06 5:24 PM

User image

APO, Marshall Islands
Hey thanks for the feedback... I believe I will give it a go.  The course here is fairly smooth with the exception of one rough area... no potholes though.
2009-04-11 12:56 AM

User image

Another thing to consider is that your weight will be distributed between each wheel. It is not like your whole weight is only on one at a time.... You should be fine.

~John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clydesdales and wheel weight limits Rss Feed