S.P.A.R.C of Volusia
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race was all about my kids running. I NEVER have to wake them up on Saturdays but when I came back from my run at 7am they were STILL sleeping!! I gently woke them and they each ate 1/2 banana but didn't want anything else and I didn't push them to eat more.
Event warmup:

I had already picked up their race packets and had the timers on their shoes. They got ready and we walked over to the race start (2 blocks away). My 5 yr old wanted to run to the start but I encouraged her to walk and save her energy since I wasn't sure how she was going to do. They both stretched a bit and then lined up near the back of the group (with many of the walkers).
Run
  • 49m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with both kids who ran for the first 1/2 mile. Then, my 5 yr old needed to stop and my 9 yr old wanted to keep going so my husband went with him. My 5 yr old got water at the station and drank two whole cups. I cautioned her not to drink too much but she insisted. She continued to run/walk up to the turnaround (walking more than running) and then decided to walk the entire way back. She did find the energy to run the last bit into the finish line while lots of people were cheering for her.
What would you do differently?:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I had so much fun and I am so proud of my kids for participating. My daughter was the youngest participant at 5 yrs old and she was so VERY proud of herself. My son got a personal best time beating his time from last year by over a minute. They were both beaming with pride and were excited to be able to pick their own post-race snacks (bagels, cookies, fruit & gatorade). Ahhh, to be a kid again!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much warmup when you are a kid!! They woke up just 45 minutes before racing!! I had already gone out for a short morning run so that was good warmup for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not racing for time today. I saw many of the women in my age group and they all did quite well - no way I would have been in contention for top 3 based on the times. I really enjoyed not having to worry about my race time...I guess I am not as competitive as I used to be but it was a TRUE relief to be running with my kids and having fun!

Event comments:

4/01 Pre-race: I am doing this race with my 9 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. I am strictly entering it as a "race" just in case I get lucky and I am able to run the entire distance (which I doubt). My daughter is SUPER excited about the race and plans to run the entire way...we'll see! :-)
4/04 Post-race: Well, neither of my kids ran the ENTIRE distance but I wasn't expecting them too. They walked and ran at different points but they definitely enjoyed being IN the race instead of watching me. They were so proud of themselves and I am so very proud of them. All in all, a VERY fun morning. We will definitely do this race again, as a family!

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:25 | 03.11 miles | 15m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Straight out on the road for ~1.4 mi and then straight back until last .4 mile on shell-packed and shaded path to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-04 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: SPARC 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SPARC 5K Rss Feed