Feed the Need CT
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 18/282
Age Group = 30-39F
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

got there about 45min prior to start, checked in, got race bib and handed in food. They ask if you want a tee shirt or not, which I think is nice. Sat in car warming up for 20mins and then did the port-o-potty run. 8mins of warmup and then waited for start.
Event warmup:

m-pace with some pickups (8.20 / .95miles)
Run
  • 22m 36s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This should have been a very easy course to pr at as it is a pancake flat course. But the winds were a constant 20-25mph out of the w/nw with gust well into the 30sand 40s. course runs east and then back west. So the second half was all into the wind. but had the goal of using this for a gauge of fitness and run it all out. knew from last years results I could be in top 3 woman if I stayed right around my previous pr.

Lined-up right behind the first row of guys. Felt good and comfortable but my hrm strap kept moving and finally at .2 it was down around my waist. Kept on moving and watched the front guys slowly move away. No one was passing me after .75m so kept up the pace. As soon as I hit the turn around at the 1.3 mile marker I was told I was 1st place female, but from here on out it was right into the wind. so pushed it harder. Saw the next woman about 30sec back. Tried to find a guy to tuck in behind to block some wind. But no luck. I would come up to people and they would fade and I would pass. There was a young kid running with me at this point, he would surge and then fade (later found out he was 12). But stayed right in my area. So finally got to the point were I could see the finish and the 1st place man was finishing. But I still had to go past it and then come back. Made it to the turn and the kid gave it his last surge. I hung with him, but let him cross first. Timing issue shows her as he was literally 2-3 steps in front of me yet he is marked as 22:24 time. I know my time is right based on garmin.

But they confirmed at finish that I was the first place female. (although the results right now do not)
What would you do differently?:

nothing other then make sure HRM strap is as tight as it can be at start. this was a race to gauge fitness. Need to train more for speed.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, petted some dogs, watched and saw the next woman about 1 min back. put warm clothes on and the had some hot cocoa and cookie. And then waited and waited.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wind, training for speed

Event comments:

This was a fabulous race for it's entry being 25 non-perishable food items, ease of registration online and checking in at the site, volunteers helping to bring food from car to deposit truck, great food, hot soup and hot chocolate afterward.

What would normally be an extremely easy flat course was turned into a hard course by the gale force winds, as the race was feet from the long island sound. But this is not the race events doing so I will take a challenge like this any day.

The bad part of the day came with the organization of times and awards. Originally stated awards would be at 10:15 (1hr 15mins after the start). They kept postponing and it was not getting any warmer. Ended up never having real awards, just announced 1-3 of the entire race at 11:15. (When all of 20-25 people were left) Stated they would have other results up on line in the evening. They did announce my name as female winner after someone else prompted them to.

got home and checked in the evening and they had me 3rd female, then this morning it stated I was 2nd female. So I emailed and asked since I did not see another female 7secs in front of me or at either of the turns. I pointed out that this woman is also listed as 250th place. So needless to say, if you want accurate results this might not be the race for you. But the race director has emailed me back and stated she is rechecking everything.

without the timing issue I would give this an BEST race rating. So maybe next year it will happen

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:36 | 03.12 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 18/282
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on a nice flat beach road. then past the finish for another quick turn around and finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes