United States
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up feeling slightly under rested with my leg still feeling sore (and Travis still coughing up his lungs) but since we had paid for the race ages ago and already had the shirts, figured we'd better at least attempt it. Ate a bagel, drank a cup of black coffee, OJ, and soy milk. Eventually bundled up and left the house. Got to the light rail station 2 minutes late for the 7:33 train. Several minutes of freaking out ensued as we tried to decide whether to wait for the 8:03 train or drive to the start. Decided to just wait since I had already paid for my pass. Ate a banana and drank some G2 on the train. As our train pulled into the station where we had to change trains, the other line we needed had just pulled in as well. Literally ran off our train and JUST made it onto the other one. Tons of other runners were on that one, which made us feel better about being later than we planned. As it turned out, we arrived to the start around 8:35am, PLENTY of time to hit the portojohn and check our bag - and less time standing around in the freezing cold.
Event warmup:

Not much. There was no "warm" to be had regardless, so we conserved our energy.

(But I will say, even though it was freezing cold, the conditions could have been a LOT worse, like if we had wound up with the foot of snow they forecasted for yesterday)
Run
  • 2h 11m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I really didn't know how this race was gonna go down. I knew it wasn't going to be fast or great, given my leg's wackiness the last few days and the last couple weeks of unintentionally reduced mileage (plus the cold - and Travis's cold). Started out slow. Couldn't feel my toes for the first couple miles, and the rest of my body was pretty stiff and cold too. The strange leg soreness/stiffness intensified a bit in the early miles. Pulled back on the pace a little more. Body and mind felt otherwise fairly decent. Kept telling myself it was really just a training run - time didn't matter *that* much. Eventually, by about mile 6 my legs finally warmed up and the weird feeling in my right leg seemed to go away.

Time was 1:08 at the halfway point, so I knew I was headed for my Personal Worst time unless a miracle happened (it didn't, in case you were planning to hold your breath til the end). But by about mile 8 or so I also knew I felt decent enough to pick up the pace a bit. Somewhere around this time I left Travis behind. He had told me several times before that I could go on if I wanted, but up til that point I thought it smarter to hold my pace back. By now, though, I knew he was hurting and didn't want to make him feel like he had to push himself harder just to keep up with me. So I just kept pushing the pace at a comfortably hard level. I started passing a lot of the people that we had fallen back from or who had passed us earlier, and that began to feel good. Hit The Hill (an overpass) just past mile 12 that I had heard about. I had held myself back a little after mile 11 to prepare for it, so I was good to go and pushed on up. With just over a 1/2 mile to go I started to crank up the pace some more and pushed until I hit the finish line.

(Nutrition - 3 Luna Moons each around miles 6 and 10. Drank a little freezing cold water at each aid station)
What would you do differently?:

Even though the time was a PW by ~ 2 minutes, I knew I gave that course all I had to give today. I don't think I could've done anything differently. I also managed a pretty significant negative split (1:08:xx for the first half, 1:03:xx for the second). That and the fact that I didn't give up before or at any point during the race were small victories for me today. Oh, and I guess the fact that I've now run 5 half marathons in the last 10.5 months ain't too shabby either.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, including back towards the finish line so I could watch Travis finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weeeeeeelllll. There were a number of things, some already mentioned. Plus it wasn't an "A" race...really more like a "C" largely intentioned as a training run. I had hoped (up until this last week) that I might still manage to PR and finally break 2 hours, but that was simply not in the cards for today and that's fine. I'll get there. Even though the time was slower today, I felt a ton better than I did during the RnR AZ 1/2 in January, so that's a plus.

Event comments:

Very well-organized race. Could've been more volunteers at a few of the aid stations but since I wasn't in a huge hurry I didn't worry about it. A couple of them had themes which was fun. Not a great race for someone who needs a lot of crowd support, but it was a nice run along the river and course was not too crowded once everyone spread out a little.

Last updated: 2009-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop through downtown Littleton, then onto the Platte River Trail north to Denver. Mostly flat, few small hills here and there, plus a big climb up an overpass at mile 12.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2009-04-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2063983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon
Don't worry about the time! You are crazy for racing in those conditions so congrats on the finish and the awesome negative split!
2009-04-06 10:11 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Sounds like you had a tough day. Way to gut it out. Sorry we missed you guys, but we were in a hurry too.
2009-04-06 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Given the aches and pains, that isn't a bad race. 
2009-04-06 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Nice job dealing with all the wackiness (soreness, weather, etc etc.)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed