General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Total Time = 1h 14m 34s
Overall Rank = 67/972
Age Group = First Timers
Age Group Rank = 1/98
Pre-race routine:

Swam the course the day before and felt pretty good for second OWS.

Woke up after a poor night's sleep (4 hours). Our 2 year old kept me up from 2:30 to 3:30 and I ended up sleeping on the floor for an hour or so. We stayed at Inn at the Waterpark, which was decent. Grabbed a bag of cheerios, a clif kidz bar and a coke and finished putting my transition bag together in the dark. Surprisingly, I didn't forget a thing.
Event warmup:

Not much other than stretching shoulders, calves and hamstrings. It was a little chilly standing around the transition area in tri top and shorts.
Swim
  • 09m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out quick so I wouldn't get kicked or bumped too much. I was a little anxious being my first tri, but kept it under control. Stayed with same two or three guys most of the way. Swam through parts of the two waves ahead of the first-timers group, which may have slowed me down a little bit. Sighting was okay for third OWS, though I'm sure I was zig-zagging a bit to avoid people.

I ended up 1st in the first timers and would have been 5th in my AG (35-39). Race results showed me at a 1:54/100 meters. I think the distance was off (maybe longer?) because my pace during the quarter was along the lines of what I'd expect on this as my quarter iron.
What would you do differently?:

Wear ear plugs and pull cap over ears. I ended up with an earache later that evening, not sure why, but I'm attributing to slamming my left ear into the water repeatedly while sighting. I must be doing something wrong.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Pulled off cap and goggles while jogging to the wet suit strippers (true life savers). My problem generally is that after I swim, I tend to get a little dizzy as soon as I get out of the water. I didn't experience that as much as I expected so I jogged to bike, put on helmet/sunglasses and sat down to put on socks/shoes, and to take a drink. I probably could have saved some time if I didn't wear socks and/or I could put on shoes clipped to the bike. If I would have done either, it would have been a disaster.

Nothing this time around.
Bike
  • 38m 4s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

There were some headwinds on the ride out though mostly crosswinds, which slowed me down a bit. I was able to pick up the speed to 21-22 most of the ride back, but couldn't get average about 20mph. Felt comfortable through the bike. I passed alot of people from the earlier waves, which may have given me a false sense that I was riding fast enough when in fact I could have pushed harder. I enjoyed the ride and see this as the key area where I can improve.

I might have pushed a little bit harder. My average speed on the bike during the quarter was a bit quicker though I attribute that time to a stronger tailwind on the ride back.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Okay transition based on time. Only problem . . . I forgot my race belt with my bib. I figured it out 100 yards out of transition and was told to go on without it. Zoots sped up the transition and wore the same socks for the run as I did for the bike.

Put the race belt on FIRST, or put it on during T1.
Run
  • 22m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I would/should be hurting more on the run but felt good the whole way through and was able to run a 7:00/mile pace for the last half mile.

Work harder on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched back and hamstrings. Picked up pizza, ice cream, oreos, fruit, bananas . . . and let my kids eat most of it. Made sure to drink enough water but probably didn't eat enough post-race. Went to Schlitterbahn from 1:30-4:00 with family. Exhausted and ready for nap for the next day's quarter . . . but the nap never materialized. Glad the family was there to share in the experience and excitement and that I could share the experience with my brother-in-law and two close friends, all of which completed their first tri too! I won an award, which was kind of cool (likely my first and my last tri award)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I wished I would have gotten some more sleep but nutrition and preparation was good. I would have placed 8/65 had I competed in my age group.

Event comments:

First triathlon so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, I thought it was extremely well organized, the expo was pretty good and had some really good deals, and the swag was quality stuff (race hat/shirt/ bottle/towel).

Only complaint and it's pretty minor was that some of the bike course heading/returning from the seawall (road w/ speedbumps) was pretty rough with a few potholes . . . I ended up getting a flat tire as I rode back into transition. Thankful it didn't happen at the beginning of the ride.

All the race staff and volunteers were very friendly and helpful. I'll definitely be back next year.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:30 | 500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/98
Overall: 0/972
Performance: Good
Suit: QRoo Ultrajohn
Course: Water was relatively flat and a straight shot with one turn after the Colonel.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:04 | 12.5 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/98
Overall: 120/972
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/98
Overall: 73/972
Performance: Good
1st mile: 7:36/mile 2nd mile: 7:20/mile 3rd mile: 7:15/mile
Course: Flat and winding.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 4:30 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2009-04-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2064021

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

An impressive race, especially for a first timer! 

The swim was definitely long, and possibly winds were blowing a current against us.  I finished in 9:33 on Saturday.  Last year I finished in 8:20 (and had measured the course on the BT mapper at about 540 meters).  I don't think the course could have been 50 meters longer than last year (maybe it was a bit further way from the steamboat this year?) so I'm thinking the wind may have been blowing a current against us...  In other races of similar distance you'll likely be closer to 1:30 or 1:40 per 100 meters. 

Brian 

2009-04-05 9:02 PM

New user
Hey, Mark, thanks for pulling me along on the swim!  In hindsight, I know we were 20-30 yards to the outside for a good bit of the swim, so we had to make up that distance by the turn bouy, so that probably cost 30-40 seconds.  also, I let you handle the sighting and I just tried to stay with you.  It was a most excellent swim, regardless of the time/distance!  Congrats on your win!

dewey
2009-04-05 9:02 PM

New user

oops, DP

Edited by deweylittle 2009-04-05 9:02 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed