Athens Marathon Committee
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 21s
Overall Rank = 100/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pizza and beer get my race stuff ready and an early bedtime (10:30)-took an advil PM because of a leg injury sustained falling off my bike because I didn't unclip before i stopped

Up at 5:30. Shower. Cereal OJ coffee. Yook care of business (or so I thought) Sean arrived at 6:35. Drove to Athens. I printed dirctions to the hospital not the stadium and sean programmed it in to the GPS. We stopped miudway there becasue not all of my business was finished in the bathroom. I thought Sean programmed directions to the track. No major problem. Arrived, ran to the track because I still had more business to attend to. I am sure the guy after me likes portajohns less now.

After changinging for the weather and pinning on the number we looked around to find the parking lot vacated. 10 minutes to start and we weren't sure where it was.

We asked people along the way and made it in time.

I saw the guy who finished just in front of me at the last half. He was doing the full and I was pacing someone so we figured the we would be at about the same pace.

Event warmup:

about a mile of easy running.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Cannons went off.

Sean and I set out to run 7:30's. The first mile is downhill and we were fresh so we posted a 6:45. Sean said it was too fast - I should have paced him to a 7 probably. The next couple miles were apprx 7:15, 7:30. Each mile after that was a pinch slower but he was running comfortably and on pace for the first 6.5.

On the way back I had lots of stories to keep his mind off the pain and lots of encouragement. I am never shure what the line is between encouragement and pestering - he says it was just right. by mile 8 or 9 he was struggling to run 8's. We worked on running to fixed points a quarter mile or so ahead. At 10 we picked up a runner who was pacing with a friend. The friend (we found out later goes to Sean's church) wanted to crack 1:40 and left her friend. We helped pull her in. With 1 to go spirits were up. I screwed up and told Sean to sprint the half lap on the track. We had to do another lap after the sprint. I didn't know.

We finished in a respectable time and he was not too far off his PR. Considering he is 5 years older than when he set it age grading puts him faster.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I know where I am going.
Post race
Warm down:

400 meter run on the astro turf and a 400 meter walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NA

Event comments:

I might race this next year.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: First mile is downhill. The rest is flat. Fairly scenic bikepath for most of it. Well manned volunteer stations. I'm glad I am not a girl and that I took care of business before I started - One port a pot for 13 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes