United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 9s
Overall Rank = 23/375
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/39
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race. Ate a banana and a clif bar and some water in the car. Was running late and arrived about 20 minutes before the start. Luckily registration was fast.
Event warmup:

Jogged from my car to the registration table. I did a little stretching of important body parts, but nothing very thorough.
Run
  • 1h 30m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't really want to race this, because I'm "tapering" for Boston (it's not really tapering because I was never training in the first place). So this would be a tempo workout that would benefit me later in the summer. My goal was 7:30/mile.

It was also my first taste of racing in Wiscansan. Clearly, this is a triathlon state, because most of the people looked like they were ready for an Ironman. I guess spandex is the new short shorts because I didn't see any of the archetypal runner types out there.

When the race started, none of these tri-geeks were moving very fast, so I was like "that's right, triathletes can't run, suckas!" and was running somewhere in the top 10 for the first few miles. A pack formed behind me. Normally I would try to run away from them, but I didn't want to get myself caught up in a race or anything today, so I let them stay. I wound up paying for it, because at about mile 4 allll the people in the pack suddenly flew by me. They were talking to each other, so I thought maybe they were a team or something. I felt used. Then a couple minutes later another pack creeped up to me, stayed there for a little while, and then zipped away. Then another one. Turns out some triathletes CAN run.

I didn't think I would see any of these people again, so I decided to settle in and work on having a good workout solo. I moved off the bike path and ran on the dirt, because it was softer (although slower). No sense in beating up my legs too bad, right? I thought the turnaround would be about 6.5 miles into the race, so according to my clock I was farrr from a PR. So that gave me more reason to just run easy.

Well, it turns out the turnaround was at 7 miles, so just like that I was back near my PR pace. That was kinda weird. So, I started pushing the pace a little bit. I still ran on the grass, though. There was a pack stalking me the whole way back, but fortunately I held them off. Even in the last couple miles I refused to go all-out...once I made sure the pack wouldn't catch me, of course. I missed my PR by 14 seconds. That bothered me for about a minute, because I surely could have hit it if I just stayed on the bike path. But then it stopped bothering me, because I can break my PR whenever I feel like it later. The most important thing was that I didn't get hurt in my first race of the season. Plus didn't I say something about 7:30/mile before?

Here are some lap times.

Miles 1, 2: 12:51
Mile 3: 6:15
Mile 4: 5:20 (yeah right)
Miles 5, 6, 7: 24:04
Mile 8, 9, 10: 23:24
Mile 11: 5:16
Mile 12: 6:29
Mile 13: 6:28 (I think the extra 0.1 is here too)

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged and stretched. Cheered on some of the runners coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I forgot to train. My bad.

Event comments:

You get a lot for your money in this race. For $25 (or $30) you get the half marathon, a T-shirt, and refreshments and beer at the finish line. And a massage. You can hide from the elements indoors before the race too. So it's not too bad at all. Shoot, most 5K's cost that much these days.

The one thing that might bother lots of people is that there aren't many aid stations out there. If you need to eat and drink a lot, you'd better bring the fanny pack.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:09 | 13.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/39
Overall: 39/375
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a bike path. All asphalt and sunny.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Trailbreaker

2009-04-06 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2064517

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Trailbreaker
Great race!  Way to magically dump :40 sec/mile off of your original goal pace!  That course is fast, especially in the beginning.  Apparently you didn't see the typical runner-dude take his shoes and socks off and climb in the river to give his legs a quick ice bath?  That was hardcore, I thought.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trailbreaker Rss Feed