General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-05 9:54 PM

User image

Shorewood
Subject: Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas
OK. I'm from the flatlands of Illinois and I've done 2 sprint Triathlons so far. I am going to be in Las Vegas the first week in May and I saw there's an Exterra Triathlon in Lake Las Vegas that Saturday. I'm very tempted to try it but I have no experience with Mountain bike riding. I'm sure I can handle the run and the swim but I'm a little worried about the bike. Does anyone know just how hard and steep this is. I'm 40 and in good shape and willing to take some risks. My wife and I are flying in Friday night and staying in the Lake Las Vegas area so it just seams to make sense to sign up for this. then again, maybe it would be nice to just sit back, relax and watch other people for a change.

2009-04-06 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2064646

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas

I've done several western XTERRAs, and my advice for you is to hold off and learn to mountain bike first. A race isn't the place to learn. I'd rank the XTERRA courses as solid intermediate level mountain biking, not beginner. The sprint version of the Vegas course is 1 loop, while the regional championship course is 2 loops. They are usually challenging for the championships as slots to the world championships are up for grabs.

The mountain bike portion is, unfortunately, the one where the most injuries usually occur (broken bones, etc). For newbies, it's not the fitness that's the limiter, but the technical skill. That lack of skill can lead to injuries, including to other racers. So don't rush into it, and instead get a bike and start riding the local trails and see if you even like mountain biking first. Then work on the basic skills, enter a few local mountain bike races, and then do an XTERRA. But to do this race on a whim with no mountain bike experience would be taking more than a few risks. It would be a long flight back home if something happens.

The XTERRA series will be around next year.

2009-04-06 12:18 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
From the course details from the event site:

This course is entirely on private property. - The only way to preride or run the course is during one of our USAT Sanctioned rides. These rides will take place on March 21st, April 11th and May 1st. Go to www.sunsetracing.com for details. - This map through Google Earth and One Million Revolutions is not updated with the current terrain changes. Since the satellite photos were taken of this area, mountains have literally been removed and roads/trail have been graded. - This terrain is very challenging. The climbs are long and steep, the descent's are fast and rocky.

Sounds like a recipe for trouble (and is why I passed on it).  It has 1600+ feet in climbing and descending with grades up to 29.4%
2009-04-06 3:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA
There is a BTer who bought a MTB and then did his first Xterra that weekend and was hurt in a bike crash. I'd say listen to others and wait. Xterra is on my list of things I want to try but I know there is a learning curve involved so I'm hoping for next summer.

I say go watch and have a great time.
2009-04-06 5:07 AM

User image

Shorewood
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like watching from the sidelines it will be. I'm supposed to be taking a vacation and relaxing anyways. I have a regular Tri 2 weeks later so I'll get my fix soon enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas Rss Feed